Bought another Echo CS-620PW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a well seasoned CS-510 with nothing more than a minor muffler mod and I haven't seen a 50cc saw of any variety that ran any better if as good. It's even on par with my closed port Husqvarna 55's. I've had enough CS-490's in here to know they will NOT run with the CS-510, not even close to it, but I haven't had a CS-500 or CS-501 in here to date to make any comparisons there. I've seen a few videos on the CS-501 and it appears to be a pretty strong runner.......Cliff

Cliff the CS500p and CS490 run the same piston and cylinder, power is the same and my CS500p is running right with my CS520 now, both muff modded and tuned good. At first it was a dog, not impressed, no Echo like torque, bogged easy, now it has really good torque and cutting speed. There are vids on youtube of a CS490 running right with a 346xp and who knows if the Echo was fully broken in yet. These Echo saws take a long time to reach full power. Kind of like my 385xp which cut like a 50cc saw at first, Steve

Good to know. I've purchased and set-up a half dozen CS-490's but never hung on to one or even thought about adding it to my line-up. They seem really "weak" compared to a closed port Husqvarna 55 or my CS-510.

I also muffler modded mine and modified the limiter caps for full control with the "L" and "H" speed screws......Cliff

IMG_4510.JPG

I read this thread a few months back. I bought an ECHO 620P 2 months ago and 2 weeks ago I bought an ECHO 501P. Just some observations from the two... The 601 is 20% more cc, however, I think it has 50% faster cutting ability. The 620 is a real pro saw. I say that cause it feels right in between my Stihl 034 and my 441 Magnum... The 501P,,, well it is ok, but it seems much less like a "pro" saw, kind of like the Stihl 026 is a pro saw ,, but like the bottom end of a pro saw. I did time a few cuts .. The 034 , with a not so good chain but an ash 14"? in 18 sec. avr. the ECHO 620 did it in about 15 sec. and the Stihll 441 took about 12 sec. avr. My 501 would be about 20 seconds or so from the ash I have been cutting with it. The 501P might be a "pro " saw , but it is a beginners pro saw. It is about on par with my Stihl 026 , but the 026 has more torque , the 501 is likley not seated real well yet. It does seem to do best with high RPM's . This could be cause it is not broke in yet all the way. My 026 is a slower machine but has more torque. The 026 does have a crank case leak, but does not seem to matter when cutting.

Just a few questions on the 2 Echos i bought. I used them today and they didnt run good at all. They started hard and bogged down a bit, especially the 501. They ran real good when it was 30 degrees, but today it was 88 degrees. Do They need to run leaner when it gets hot out? I thought I hear one 4 strokin when I was cutting so it may be too rich for 88 degrees. Do they need to run leaner when it's hot.

Going from 30 degrees to 88 degrees would have little if anything to do with cold start issues. I fired up my 600P yesterday and it hadn't been started for months. Close to 80 outside, two pulls till it "popped", pushed the choke in and it roared to life on the next pull. The last time I ran it was back in January and it was around 25 degrees outside and started just as easy.

If you have the means remove the limiter caps so you can fine tune the saws if/as needed.......

Thanks Cliff R,,.. 6 AM here and balmy. We went from snow just a few weeks ago to 88 degrees yesterday. I tried my 2 Echos this morning and they fired right up. Yesterday I think I just ran them very hard . Neighbor had dead ash and I was cutting a big 22" , the 20 " bar couldnt cut through . The 501 can do it , and I know they are Echo's but it was hard on the 501. The 620 was twice as fast. All is good now and enough tanks that I can bring it back in for tuning. The small shop dealer told me to bring them back in after 10 tanks, or when they start running funny after being seated. I will let them do it and if there is a problem in 5 yrs. I will see if the Echo warranty is worth the salt in their hay. If I take out the caps, I dont think the warranty stands. I asked about the limiter caps. They said they would never take them out for me. I asked if he took his out of his saw and he said he aint saying , witch means he took them out. As for me, I dont work much on my saw. Reason being many think they know what they are doing but dont. If I do something, I make sure I know exactly what I'm doing , how to do it and why. Carpenter for 41 yrs. Nothing worse than taking things back apart.

Ok, I will look into that , but I will make sure I do it right. Thanks Cliff R. I also noticed that the H screw on the 620 was opened up all the way. Tells me the mechanic at the shop knows they are running lean.

I " think" I can tune the saw. However I am light years ahead if I saw someone do it . Many on Youtube just say they know, but I can tell they don't know how to tune a saw. I guess I should just learn . I have seen youtube guys do it . Some seem to know , and some just want hits on their page. Is there any Youtube videos anyone here can recommend so I dont go by some dude , with hand that I know have not had much for tools in their hands and clothes they wear that I would wear to church. I also made sure they were set on summer time. They both started right up this morning though.

I went with the 6421!!! I really like both saws and next will be an echo. I did the 6421 because the big bore that is available. Its heavy but my main goal is to be able to work on my saw myself and I thought a kit is a good place to start. After I take apart a "pratice saw a part and reassemble that is. Thanks for the comments guys.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
makita is not making gas saws after this year so parts will be a problem!

Latest posts

Back