Help please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computerboy345

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Help
i am thinking of getting a new saw. it is between a john deere, jonsered, sthil, or echo. i have heard many good things about deere. according so some guys in my area i live in the sw us and logging companies say that jonsered are superior. they claim they put on 1,000 hr a year and they have their saws for 20 yrs and i know they are hard on their saws.. i dont know if they were telling the truth or blowing smoke......i havent heard much about echo.....sthil there are guys who will swear by them and i think an equal amout of guys that wont walk across the road to pick a brand new one up....which would you guys recommend...ps price isnt the decideing factor also i am not talking about the little model of these manufactors.........i am figuring on buying 2 new saws and investing about 1200 bucks so i am talking about the big saws of their respective brand names......machullah were good saws tooo bad they went out of busness...

You should look at Husquvarna (sp?). I used huskys when I was logging and I would say that they are probably the most popular saws around. I currently work in wildfire control and they are our standard saws.

I have also used Jonsereds in the past and like them. They are just not as easy to find up here.
Check with some of the logging companies or the forest service in your area and see what they say.

Chich

Jonesereds and Huskies are the same saw now. For 1200 bucks get a Husky 394xp and a 55 and there will be no job you cant tackle.

I say buy a couple of stihl's or a couple of husky's or a combination of the two.

A 394xp and a 55 is a great combo like Huskyman says for husky. For Stihl though a 066 and a 026 would be a unstoppable combo also. If you want to sub the 088 for the 066 it'll cost you and its not really worth it because of the weight and its not a really big power increase for the buck besides the 066 is a real beefy boy. 026 $350-400 + 066 $900-1000. Now i have seen a 066 on Ebay for 450 and about bid on it myself but i dont really need it. So maybe check the auctions first if you dont mind that. Otherwise the most important thing is to have a dealership that you trust that is nearest to you. Friendly service really makes the difference and can make ownership of either brands a real joy. It was one of the reasons i bought stihl.

best of luck
confused

Confused makes a good point, go with a good dealer. The Stihl dealer in Saginaw is a very large, very expensive, very impersonal place and is akin to buying a saw from Lowe's. My Husky dealer (though he has one idiot working for him) personally set me up with two great combos and gives me all kinds of great info and is extremely reasonable.

Back