Help with Hydraulic Pump Identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avason

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I posted this yesterday in the homeowner help forum and didn't get any replies. Maybe I'll have better luck here.
Hey guys. I’m looking for a little help identifying a hydraulic pump on my yard machines/MTD 31 ton log splitter. I have some pictures off of the pump itself. I also took a picture of the serial number of my log splitter. Unfortunately, the model number is scraped off. I’m looking to see how many gallons per minute that I need. I think I need the 16 gpm...any thoughts? Thanks guys!
Also is there a rebuild kit for this? I’ve never rebuilt one and wouldn’t mind trying if that’s what I have to do.
bde1807f-9aaa-40c5-835a-858ef4e86f92-jpeg.629064
034659b7-19ef-4553-9204-2c8094490bfb-jpeg.629063

Did you try contacting MTD? I'm guessing you mean 31 ton and not HP? Pretty sure it has a 8 HP Honda engine?

W

right...I will edit it...31 ton. I have harbor freight engine on it now when the Briggs crapped out. I felt that it was going to cost me more in parts to fix the old engine. I've been more than pleased with the predator engine.

I'm hoping there is an aftermarket one for the fraction of the cost. For that price, I'll let the thing leak.

Should be able to find one pretty easy. 15-16 gpm and the predator has a standard Briggs mount I believe.

depending on old it is bring up a dimensional drawings of the Barnes or haldex or concentric pumps or MTE pumps. by comparing the width of the gear sections and the overall length of the pump you can determine what gallon per minute it is. they use the same basic frame design just make the gears wider for 11 13 and 16 series. 22 and 28 are in a common frame but bigger.

Or just pick a pump that matches that engine. What size engine is it?

Just a shaft seal leak? Pull it apart and seal from industrial supplier. There may be a small bleed port from the shaft seal area back to the inlet port, to relieve any leakage and not build up pressure behind the shaft seal. Make sure that port, if if exists, is open.

Or, surplus center or Northern Tool for a pump. Common sources.

Just a shaft seal leak? Pull it apart and seal from industrial supplier. There may be a small bleed port from the shaft seal area back to the inlet port, to relieve any leakage and not build up pressure behind the shaft seal. Make sure that port, if if exists, is open.

Or, surplus center or Northern Tool for a pump. Common sources.
I plan on taking it apart as soon as I get a chance. As soon as the snow disappears , that’s when it will happen. Are you saying the seal may be a common part?

most likely it is.

there may be some strange shaped rubber seals between various sections of the pump, but those are usually just standard O-rings curved into to the oval groove pattern

Latest posts

Back