Homelite chainsaw over oils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rszimm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My homelite 33cc chainsaw UT10540 oils like there's no tomorrow. If I fill the oil reservoir it'll be empty in maybe 10-15 minutes, and the whole time I'll see a spray of oil flying off the chain. There doesn't appear to be any sort of adjustment for this that I can see. Any suggestions?

My homelite 33cc chainsaw UT10540 oils like there's no tomorrow. If I fill the oil reservoir it'll be empty in maybe 10-15 minutes, and the whole time I'll see a spray of oil flying off the chain. There doesn't appear to be any sort of adjustment for this that I can see. Any suggestions?

Clean the area where it oils from really with a simple green like cleaner and put a dab of epoxy partially blocking the exit to limit. The flow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The oil comes out of a rubber tube thing. I'm not sure epoxy would stick to that. Here's a photo. The oil comes out of the red circled area (it's rubber). The guys hand on the left is on the oil pump assembly.
BEQzQDc.png

Could you put a smaller tube inside the large tube that would cut down volume

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's bar and chain oil from Home Depot.

I suppose I could try and constrict that tube somehow. It occurs to me that maybe there's a leak somewhere and the oil is just ending up on the chain. Not sure exactly how to check for a leak because you can't really look without putting the whole thing back together.

Get some thicker bar oil. Maybe buy a quart of a couple of different manufacturers and monitor consumption. Sometimes the value priced bar oil is a bit thin.

I see you are in AZ...your winter temps are probably comparable to summer for the rest of us so make sure you have summer weight oil.

So there's no leaks. Oil only comes out where it's supposed to, but there seems to be a lot of it. Here's a video I took: Can you guys quickly take a look and let me know if you think this is normal or waaay too much oil.

I'll go pickup some thicker bar oil

cold saw. the oil seems way more viscous than 30W motor oil and very very sticky.

FYI. I've got the afternoon off and I'm motivated so I tried something out along the lines of what swatbwana mentioned. I happen to have a lathe in my garage so I turned down a pin that fit into that rubber tube with a 0.040" hole down the middle figuring that would significantly reduce the volume of oil (the tube itself is about 0.100" on the inside. I turned a lip onto the pin so it wouldn't force out. It seems to have lowered the volume a little bit, but still seems to come out too fast (although I'm not 100% sure how much should be coming out). Unfortunately 0.040" is my smallest drill bit, so I can't go smaller.

Ahh, yes. 0.040". Ha! Good catch.. I just updated my post.
That figures. OK, if the plug (I'll call it that because I can't think of another name for it) you used to reduce the flow was 0.04" in diameter, you reduced the flow by 16% to 20% at most if the diameter of the tubing is 0.10". I am a bit confused over how drill bits are being used to make something that is inserted inside the tubing to reduce glow. Could you clarify that?

So here's a picture of the part I made
P7Pv4Qo.jpg

There's a 0.040" hole down the center of that thing. I jammed that into the 0.100" ID rubber hose, so that should constrict the flow. By my calcs the 0.1" ID hose had an area of 0.0079 sq-in, and with the hole we've got 0.0013 sq-in. So that's an 84% reduction in area.

That's correct on all counts. Now I understand what you did. A picture is worth 1000 words.

This part should have reduced the oil flow a grate deal. I am at a loss as to why it dropped off so little. Unless there is leakage from somewhere else or somehow it is getting past the part that you made. I recall that Stihl used a spring inside the oil tube on several of their older models (009, 010, etc). That was supposed to fight kink, but it also reduced flow somewhat.

Instead of drilling the hole, you might want to try one made with just a quick ice pick punch. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

I had exactly the same problem on an 80's Echo. It was a complete nightmare since absolutely nothing made sense. :crazy:
In the end the only solution was replacing the oil pump, but before getting to that point I tried everything, including the ultra-thick Oregon bar oil (red can, I hate that stuff) we get here and changing pickup and lines, and nothing worked.
I have no explanation to offer except a new oil pump solved my issue.

Back