Homelite Super XL Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On anoher Homelite ? I have a EZ 6 bored into a post at the end of my driveway. P&C is good and loose, recoil spring broke. Any value in fixing one of these

What one recently sold for. Someone had auction fever.

For a serious collector a kit like that would bring out big dollars, that is an item that would rarely come up in that condition with all those original accessories. I have in my collection a pristine Stihl 041 that came to me free. It was run only once and then put back in its case, emptied of fuel and chain oil, has all the original paperwork, new spare chain and tool kit the dealer put in the case for them. I have been offered $500. for it repeatedly but have never put it up for sale yet.

Overly optimistic seller with a blue module for sale,

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-IGNITIO...PER-XL12-auto-SXLAO-W1/391920533422?hash=item

s-l225.jpg

Just for the record, that is not my listing [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for the record, that is not my listing [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, ...I have no idea who has that listed but found it last evening cruzing eBay listings, seems a tad steep but the seller can ask whatever price they want and sometimes they get it. I did find a listing for Little Red Barn, they claim to have electronic modules that fit the XL 12 series saws for under $30. I didn`t take time to cross reference their numbers but it may be worth looking into for anyone looking for one now. I have a lifetime supply for myself so won`t be buying any through the Bay.

For a serious collector a kit like that would bring out big dollars, that is an item that would rarely come up in that condition with all those original accessories. I have in my collection a pristine Stihl 041 that came to me free. It was run only once and then put back in its case, emptied of fuel and chain oil, has all the original paperwork, new spare chain and tool kit the dealer put in the case for them. I have been offered $500. for it repeatedly but have never put it up for sale yet.
I looked at the listing and even bid when it was way down in the 200's. I let off when it got higher. For as nice as the description was it had electrical tape on the handle. Was afraid of what else was altered. I'm happy with the one I got, plastic not faded all complete, just a few chips in paint.

pioneerguy600 do you just drain your collector saws leaving nonethe mix in lines and carb or do you run them dry?

I've got a few Ez's, (Red/Black, Blue/White) plus some other home's, Stihl's, Poulans, Crapsman's, top handle Homies, Mac's, one Super EZ auto is over 40 years old and still runs strong.
I use the EZ's for light weight firewood trim saws (16 inch maximum length bars with the fast cut chains) after I've dropped a big tree with a larger Stihl saw.
I run Stihl oil 50:1. When storing my saws (long term is one year or more) I dump the NON-ethanol gas mix and bar oil start and let it idle until runs out of fuel then choke and re-crank. Done this for years. Only one carb kit in the 40 year old EZ saw. I kinda think that storing chainsaws in a high heat building will cause storage issues.
I gave $10 for one awhile back for parts, had good bar, chain and all parts were on the saw. Added gas and it fired up and only needed a rotten fuel line. A EZ starts easily after being stored if cranked with full choke until it pops and the compression release is nice thing.
I've been blessed with not ever stumbling into the blue coil of death models.

They can be contrary to repair but worth the effort. Quite common for the 4 jug to block nuts to need tightened or CHECKED before the cylinder develops a intermittent leak at it's base to block and ruins the gasket. I've had real good service with the wico ignition, and the Phelon points/condenser models.

They can be contrary to repair but worth the effort. Quite common for the 4 jug to block nuts to need tightened or CHECKED before the cylinder develops a intermittent leak at it's base to block and ruins the gasket. I've had real good service with the wico ignition, and the Phelon points/condenser models.
A good reminder for any used saw purchase! I had a real nice XL-103 that came to me as a project and I believe that was the cause of death. Also had that on some Husky project saws.

I drain fuel but not oil from any saw that will not be ran for more than a few months. The only exception is my little Johnny 361 is always full of fuel and oil as it is the emergency saw at the cabin in case a tree or trees fall over the road when we are in there and need to get out. I run it periodically and dump out any fuel that has been in there for more than a few months and refill.

I store my saws on a shelf for long term storage as sitting on the ground means a lot more moisture is touching them which is not good for any part of the saw.

I drain fuel but not oil from any saw that will not be ran for more than a few months. The only exception is my little Johnny 361 is always full of fuel and oil as it is the emergency saw at the cabin in case a tree or trees fall over the road when we are in there and need to get out. I run it periodically and dump out any fuel that has been in there for more than a few months and refill.

I store my saws on a shelf for long term storage as sitting on the ground means a lot more moisture is touching them which is not good for any part of the saw.
I store on shelf also. So you don't empty then fire to run fuel out of carb?

No I do not as my saws all get used enough. If I was going to store something long term then I would.

The saw that gets run the least is my Mac D-44 that probably gets ran twice a year so I can remind myself of how much better the new saws cut. I love it though.

I've got to get a coil for the one I'm working on, not getting a blue one.

Steve
Homelite did eventually give up on the Wico blue electronic ignitions and made a kit to convert to the highly reliable Phelon electronic ignition. Fits the SXL and several other models, see pic.
3161451B-9E67-46A2-A9A8-9BC84250B28A.jpeg

Back