Questions about Homelite Super XL Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love these old Homies!! My friend got 3 of them from a garage sale. $10 for all three. I want thru the one on the left and got it running for him, so he gave me the two older ones. The one on the right has almost zero time on it. Got an Oregon bar/chain kit off Amazon for $27 for it. Fuel lines, carb kits, duckbills, plugs, filters, set points (one on the right)

These little guys rip!!!

Glad I took the time to get them running!

Good for another 40 years!!

Attachments

• 20180804_194437.jpg
    20180804_194437.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I love these old Homies!! My friend got 3 of them from a garage sale. $10 for all three. I want thru the one on the left and got it running for him, so he gave me the two older ones. The one on the right has almost zero time on it. Got an Oregon bar/chain kit off Amazon for $27 for it. Fuel lines, carb kits, duckbills, plugs, filters, set points (one on the right)

These little guys rip!!!

Glad I took the time to get them running!

Good for another 40 years!!
Nice saws, Charles. I like old Homelites, too. They seem pretty durable and long lasting.

I've got another question about these saws, what is the purpose of the cotter pin and felt washer that is installed in the air filter boxes of Homelite XL-12/Super Xls? Is it some kind of bypass valve in case the air filter is clogged, or maybe it lets hot air into the air box? Or is it just a plug for a hole that was not used?

Thank you

I was looking for a way to tighten the other two cylinder nuts on my Homelite toady. I removed the muffler, and after looking closely, I discovered that the cylinder has a hairline crack between the bottom cooling fin and the mounting flange. The crack looks like it runs through the entire exhaust side of the cylinder, and probably all the way through the cylinder walls. It was probably caused by rough handling while the crankcase screws were loose. A new cylinder and crankcase/cylinder gaskets and crankshaft seals costs about $175. There is another SXLAO on Craigslist for $50. It looks nearly identical to the one I have now, same colors, very close serial number, 16" hard nose bar, but it looks like it's in better condition. The description mentions that it will not start and probably needs a coil. I could swap the coils between the two and probably have it running for less money than a cylinder kit. I'm going to buy it and I will keep the other saw until I have the money to spend on a cylinder and seals.

Hey Wright saw:

Their is a person hangs out on here by the name of chainsaw lady. If you can find and send her a PM she is very good at what will interchange on the old Homies. I think I seen somewhere where she worked on Homies since dirt and sells parts.
They made so many of those type, the super 2's and the 's EZ series that you can easily get some that won't iinterchange parts, etc. Close but no cigar. I've at times had to take 3 or 4 and make one, especially on the Super 2's.

But if the CL one won't swap parts you will have another to add to your collection.;)

You are going to have to start thinking about a pressure/vac tester in your future.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm pretty sure it's a crack. I can stick a toothpick partway in it. Here are a couple pictures of it: DSCF2745.JPG DSCF2746.JPG
I'm pretty sure the parts will interchange, unless the one on Craigslist has a Phelon ignition system. Instead of swapping cylinders or engines, I'm just going to use the saw I have now to fix the one from Craigslist, since that one is in better condition. The first three digits of the serial numbers are the same, no UT number, so they are about the same year model, same colors, same model (SXLAO).
00Q0Q_a8O0w7lA9s2_1200x900.jpg

Above is the one from Craigslist I'm looking at.

I noticed that a lot of Homelite fuel caps have this design on the top:
chainsawparts010_1185117_grande.jpg
before_3929550_medium.jpg

Do any of these grooves, cutouts and holes serve a purpose (maybe to use a tool to open the cap)?

Thank you

Things aren't working out with getting the chainsaw from Craigslist, someone offered more money for it. I will keep looking for another one.

I'm thinking about getting a NOS or used cylinder for this saw, and new seals and rings.

Latest posts

Back