Questions about Homelite Super XL Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I filled the saw with oil and fuel, pulled the starter slowly a few times to prime it, then pulled on it 3 times and it fired. I adjusted the choke some and about 10 pulls later had it running. It idles and revs up well, and the top speed is noticeably slower than newer saws. It hardly vibrates at all when idling and not much at full throttle either. The exhaust blew away the mulch where I had it running and it puts a lot of oil on the bar and chain when running. I will try to cut some wood with it later today.

The saw restarted cold with two pulls and I cut a small tree down with it. The chain makes long chunks of sawdust, so I guess it is pretty sharp. The saw performed well and I did not need to adjust the carburetor beyond the initial adjustments. The chain was kept well oiled by the automatic oiler and the saw seems powerful.

One on left is oil tank strainer.

One on right, IDK. Not one I ever discovered in a Homie.

One of these two should work fine for the fuel tank.
b132d95baf79e57a2c2714b164857e44.jpg

I’ve found all manner of ‘oopisies’ in fuel and oil tanks.

The saw restarted cold with two pulls and I cut a small tree down with it. The chain makes long chunks of sawdust, so I guess it is pretty sharp. The saw performed well and I did not need to adjust the carburetor beyond the initial adjustments. The chain was kept well oiled by the automatic oiler and the saw seems powerful.

You are now ready to flog some more Homies.;)
I've never seen a jug broken like that

Did Ya happen to check the compression after your re-build?

Might be interesting to check the compression now and then check it again after it's been used for few days.

Just curious.

Thank you

I did think about repainting the saw while I had it apart, but I agree, if it had perfect paint, I probably wouldn't want to cut any wood with it. I like the original paint, it is mostly still there but shows signs of use. I plan to use this saw often, and keep it clean and well maintained.
I did not check the compression after the rebuild, but I will check it later today.
There is still one small issue to fix, the new Hi/Lo grommet does not seal to the air box on the Hi side, and the small gap could let sawdust in. I may try sticking a small piece of hose between the grommet and air box or some RTV sealant.

Latest posts

Back