Homelite XL2, Bar, Chain and sprocket question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banditti

Reaction score
I have my great grandpa's '70s XL2. From what i can understand mods are kind of pointless on this saw and the best thing you can do is a good bar and chain.

That being said.... What is the best bar, chain and sprocket I should do for this little guy?

Thank you in advance!

I have two of these.
The 73 is dressed in 1/4" stihl 13RM chain 69dl and 12" homelite brand sprocket tip bar(laminated). Sprocket/clutch is A-69587-A NOS show up every now and then.
The 78 is in 3/8lp 91VXL 47dl, Homelite brand bar sprocket tip (laminated). Clutch/sprocket 3/8lp oregon NLA 27958 or Homelite show up also.
I also have a VGC Homelite 12" billet hardnose that will of course work for either chain on either saw.
They make longer bars for the newer bigger models but the early XL are only 26cc so what do you expect?:chainsaw:

I think 1/4 inch pitch was original, I ran 3/8 lo pro on mine with no problems.
Hit Ebay
Oregon Clutch drum sprocket 27958, Oregon 12 inch bar, and 91 series chain pretty standard and reliable.

Count the teeth (high points) on the clutch drum. If there is 6, chain pitch 3/8 lo pro. If there’s more ( number eludes me at the moment) chain pitch is 1/4. If using a sprocket nose bar, chain pitch must match the clutch drum.
For a Homelite 12 bar, if using 3/8 lo pro takes 48 drive links.

Count the teeth (high points) on the clutch drum. If there is 6, chain pitch 3/8 lo pro. If there’s more ( number eludes me at the moment) chain pitch is 1/4. If using a sprocket nose bar, chain pitch must match the clutch drum.
For a Homelite 12 bar, if using 3/8 lo pro takes 48 drive links.

Homelite 1/4" sprockets are 9 pin.
My 78 saw has the original .375 "H" (3/8lp) homelite brand chain with 47dl the bar adjuster is toward the short end of bar adjustment. I also have a new 48dl oregon 91 series and the bar adjust is at the long end and am afraid that it will max out when it wears...the bar is a genuine homelite 12"
your choice-good luck

Back