Homemade Semi-Skip chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan-Sietze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got my chain homemade Semi-Skip.
Every third sawtooth removed, 17 of the 51 saw teeth.

_DSC7876-2_zps176d5ded.jpg

_DSC7872-2_zps0a4e0fc1.jpg

Are there more who have done this
or experienced it?

buzz sawyer said:
I agree - the cutters should still be opposite. It'll be interesting to see how it cuts. What saw will you run it on? How many tooth sprocket?
Yes, agree, at best, the cutters should be opposite.
I do not have the ability to break the chain and re-riveting.

I use this semi-chisel chain on my 372's with 30 inch bar, 7 tooth sprocket.

I used the Oregon 73 LPX semi-chisel,
with a different brand name but still Oregon...

As long as that shark fin is a safety device and is not detrimental,
he may stay

I have done it to a 281 w' 28" bar & 2100 36"bar. Both chains were green ones that I didn't care for anyway. 5" grinder w' thin cut-off wheel made it easy but ugly. Should have done a timed comparison, figured someone on AS had already saved me the trouble. Didn't observe any noticeable difference - have proper half-skip now, may try a stopwatch cookie cut.

There might be some terminology issues in this thread.

It looks like a cross between skip and a half and normal. Wouldn't that make it home made with no rivet modification full skip? I believe semi skip is cutter, tie strap, cutter, tie strap, tie strap, cutter, etc. There are no two tie straps in line just one and three.

Shouldn't shark fin be the bumper tie strap and another word used for bumper drive link?

Can't you just purchase semi skip in 3/8? Really full skip would end up with the same amount of cutters but properly distributed wouldn't it.

Done it for many years and it cuts fine. 1mm cut off discs on 4-5" grinders work a treat. Sometimes I cut out every second pair or even 2/3rds if on longer milling bars.

Pictures say more than words.
I hope it works.

_DSC7899-2_zps85dc68b6.jpg

_DSC7894-2_zps8e4a53c0.jpg

_DSC7898-2_zps328214db.jpg

_DSC7900-2_zpsdcd7634e.jpg

Franny K said:
Can't you just purchase semi skip in 3/8? Really full skip would end up with the same amount of cutters but properly distributed wouldn't it.
Completely skip can not get here, and import with
European import taks is too expensive.
($ 80 per chain (102 drive link), which is really too expensive)

The local chain supplier charges 5 euros per rivet,
for me it is not a solution ...

I have been doing this for years. It wont work on every chain so you have to make sure that it is every third cutter and that it ends up right . I mark mine with a marker to check a chain first. then grind away the marked cutters . Some chains don't have the right cutters and end up not working just right.

Back