how i sharpen chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
now up front this is the first time I have ever done a vid like this so no laughing,, even though I have been on the montel Williams show 4 times I still hate talking on camera,,, any who,, this is how I do it,, you will see at the end of a vid me running my 603 with a Windsor chain,, you will see the chips fly,,,i don't think I left anything out,,well except for a little bit of but crack scratching

Thanks for taking the time to do this video. Well done. What were your other numbers for grinder? I liked the cutting from the bottom of log part, you could really see the chips flying.
tilt is non adjustable,, I believe it is 10 degrees,,,, those chips was bouncing off a tree that was about 15-20 feet away

Nicely done.
You mentioned using .025 for a raker depth on 3/8 lo pro and .030 for 3/8 chain. Where do you set the rakers on .325?
Do you measure the cutter length and grind all to the same length as the shortest?

long story,,,, in short,,, wife and I dated in high school,, she moved with her family,,, then in 99 her daughter got us back together on his show called the long lost love show,, 1st show was in march,, went back on the 2nd show as an update show,, 3rd show I proposed to her in central park in sept and we got married nov 6th 99,, he sent us to jamacia all expenses paid for honey moon,, then in 07 since we was the only couple still together we was on for the forth time,,, he sent us to vegas all expenses paid for 5 days and 4 nights,, that's the short of it:):):):) and yes I have the shows on dvd to prove it:p:p

Nicely done.
You mentioned using .025 for a raker depth on 3/8 lo pro and .030 for 3/8 chain. Where do you set the rakers on .325?
Do you measure the cutter length and grind all to the same length as the shortest?
I use .030 on 325,,, and no I don't measure the cutter length,, no need for it

Thanks for sharing that Scott! A 'kiss' is all it takes if you are just maintaining the edges.

. . . and no I don't measure the cutter length,, no need for it

One of the advantages of using a grinder is that it sets the cutters at the same length. Textbook says to start with the shortest, but if only one or two are slightly shorter, it won't be a big deal. Advance the dog slightly to sharpen those, then return it to the previous setting.

What were your other numbers for grinder?

The grinder head tilt is probably fixed close to 60 degrees.

Philbert

Nice video, that solo looked good chain looked a little loose, just poking you a little good job.

Nice video. From the initial frame embedded in the thread, I thought you were going to do all of the sharpening with a dremel :) Just FYI, in Youtube you can pick which frame appears when you embed.

All of that is under the editing tab. I have found that youtoob's editing stuff is pretty user friendly. Only people that post videos can truly appreciate the effort it takes.

Latest posts

Back