Husqvarna 185CD Head Bolts NOT Metric....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu in Tokyo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 1976 Husqvarna 185CD, bought used here in Japan, I want to take the cylinder off the saw to check the rings and bore and also to install a decomp valve, this thing is hard to pull start.

In trying to take the head off the hex bolts seem to be a size that is neither 4mm or 8mm, is it possible they are 3/16" which would be 4.76mm? Yes they were dirty, but I cleaned the hex bolts out and I cannot get the 5mm to go in, not even close they are NOT rusty, just they here dirty.

Is it possible they are inch heck bolts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

unlikely but anything is possible. Who knows - in the past they may imperial bolts may have been forced in... Give the 3/16 a go if the 5mm really won't go.

On a slightly different note, working on our Volvo N12 drives me round the bend sometimes - it's a true mix of metric and imperial. Sometimes even in one casting there are both types machined into it... Talked to some other truck mechanics and they said that was totally normal back then - the Swedes made no pretense of being all metric (truck is a 1990 model). Maybe this extends to husky, but my gut says unlikely.

unlikely but anything is possible. Who knows - in the past they may imperial bolts may have been forced in... Give the 3/16 a go if the 5mm really won't go.

On a slightly different note, working on our Volvo N12 drives me round the bend sometimes - it's a true mix of metric and imperial. Sometimes even in one casting there are both types machined into it... Talked to some other truck mechanics and they said that was totally normal back then - the Swedes made no pretense of being all metric (truck is a 1990 model). Maybe this extends to husky, but my gut says unlikely.

Thanks for the reply.

I can understand how frustrating it must be to have both metric and standard on one vehicle.

I finally got a picture of what is happening, it is very close to going in but not quite....

IMG_8440.JPG

I used a ball end hex wrench because I thought it might go in easier because of the ball end, but it did not help.

In the picture you can see the top of the cylinder hex bolt, I took a 5mm ball end wrench and tapped it quite hard a few times to try to get it to go in, but this is as far as it would go.

I have sprayed everything with penetrating oil, but what I'm going to try next is to every lightly grind or sand the six sides of a 5mm hex wrench to make a very slight taper, then I'll try tapping that in to each head bolt, I have an electric impact driver and I also have an impact driver from my motorcycle stuff, the kind you hit on the end with a hammer, both will be tried if I can get the hex wrench into the hex bolt.
Wish me luck!

Get a long pick and some solvent,cleaner etc. Spray some cleaner into the bolt head then with the pick clean out the crud in the bottom and sides of the socket in the bolt head. Break up the crud with the pic then blast it out with cleaner.

The crud may be stopping the wrench from fully entering.
It only takes a little crud to block a hex or torx bit from fitting.

Get a long pick and some solvent,cleaner etc. Spray some cleaner into the bolt head then with the pick clean out the crud in the bottom and sides of the socket in the bolt head. Break up the crud with the pic then blast it out with cleaner.

The crud may be stopping the wrench from fully entering.
It only takes a little crud to block a hex or torx bit from fitting.

Thanks.

Yes I've done that, I have a background in off road motorcycles so I know all about crud on and in stuff.

Cheers!

Yup. My 288 has the 3/16 hex bolts on the cylinder. Most everything else was m4 or phillips. Made me wonder too :)
Yep everything else on this saw is M4 or some M5, but that or Phillips screws.
Maybe they got a good price on 3/16" head bolts buy the ton or something? o_O

Just a heads up on the ball end hex wrenches, if you really put the meat to them you can break the ball end off and leave it stuck in the head of an inaccessible
bolt. Dont ask me how I know that. :/
Thanks for that.

I'm just using the ball end to show how the 5mm hex wrench does not fit into the heck bolt head, I'd never torque down on a hex bolt with a ball end.

Latest posts

Back