husqvarna 254 SE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone have a pic; of a Husqvarna 254 SE chainsaw? I tried chainsaw collectors and nothing there for that Husky model. I have a chance at one from a guy who also wants my Stihl 026. I am trying to figure looks and value in figuring what money/ dollar value to knock off my stihl. The Husky runs apparently but bogs down in the cut so its fuel related or oil seals. I lean toward fuel/carb problems.

Well, the 254SE is a more capable saw than the 026, but it also is heavier......

It is mostly the same saw as the 154SE, and the later 254XP (one of the best ever)......

Last edited:
Husky 254 SE

Thanks for the info guys. He saids knock off 50 bucks for the Stihl and the Husky is mine plus cash for the Stihl as well. I told him its a deal. Will get-her tomorrow and post some pics. Thanks again.

One of my favorites

The 254 is a great little machine, my wifes 254 is a wicked SOB.:biggrinbounce2:

Husqvarna 254

Sorry to highjack the thread like this, but thought this may be relevant... So there are several version of this was - 254 , 254SE and 254XP . How are they different from one another? I'd assume that the XP is somehow better? But by how much exactly, or is is just a new marketing name/strategy for basically the same saw?

Thanks!

Sorry to highjack the thread like this, but thought this may be relevant... So there are several version of this was - 254 , 254SE and 254XP . How are they different from one another? I'd assume that the XP is somehow better? But by how much exactly, or is is just a new marketing name/strategy for basically the same saw?

Thanks!

I believe the 254 just became the 254xp when they started using the "xp" designation to disinguish the best pro saws from the others - just marketing.

Btw, I suspect there never was a "SE" variant, all I have seen have either been 254/254G or 254xp/xpg......

As with most other models made for a long time, they evolved trough production, but that has little to do with xp/non-xp.

Similar stories happened to several Husky models in the late 1980s-early 1990s.

Thanks Troll!!!
Accurate and to the point as always. Good to have Chainsaw PhD's like you around :)

The 254 is a strong saw. In testing before it came out it was too close to the power of the flagship saw at that time, the 266. Husky engineers detuned it slightly. Two areas that will produce tremendous power gains for the little work involved are the usual muffler mod and an air cleaner mod. Look carefully at the bottom piece of the air filter where it fits onto the intake elbow. Notice how thick the plastic is there. It was intentionally made to restrict the air going in, similar to a restrictor plate today in Nascar. You can very easily enlarge this hole and allow a lot more air/fuel into that saw.

The 254 is a strong saw. In testing before it came out it was too close to the power of the flagship saw at that time, the 266. Husky engineers detuned it slightly. Two areas that will produce tremendous power gains for the little work involved are the usual muffler mod and an air cleaner mod. Look carefully at the bottom piece of the air filter where it fits onto the intake elbow. Notice how thick the plastic is there. It was intentionally made to restrict the air going in, similar to a restrictor plate today in Nascar. You can very easily enlarge this hole and allow a lot more air/fuel into that saw.

Interesting! :) :clap: :clap:

Btw, the power specs has varied between 2.9 and 3.0kW, and KWF/DLG found 3.1kW when they tested it on their dyno in the late 1990s.......

I just purchased a 254xp 3 weeks ago. It was in great shape, just had to be cleaned up. Mine says 254xp on the air filter cover, on the recoil and the metal tag. The only thing I don't like is the swing out choke lever, but not a big deal. Lots of good info on AS about this saw.

I did the search on this site and modded the muffler which is just a can. I opened 2 of the four holes inside the muffler and opened the throat in the carb and she is a little screamer.
Just wondering if anyone is running 3/8 vs .325? mine came with a .325 18". I think it could handle a 3/8 20". I know a .325 20' would be no problem the way this saw runs. Great little saw.

Cadenhill

I just purchased a 254xp 3 weeks ago. It was in great shape, just had to be cleaned up. Mine says 254xp on the air filter cover, on the recoil and the metal tag. The only thing I don't like is the swing out choke lever, but not a big deal. Lots of good info on AS about this saw.

I did the search on this site and modded the muffler which is just a can. I opened 2 of the four holes inside the muffler and opened the throat in the carb and she is a little screamer.
Just wondering if anyone is running 3/8 vs .325? mine came with a .325 18". I think it could handle a 3/8 20". I know a .325 20' would be no problem the way this saw runs. Great little saw.

Cadenhill

I run a 3/8 chain and 16" bar on my 254xp (1997) and it pulls it with authority, its a nimble, great handling saw with a 16" bar. It came with a .325 chain and 20" bar but I never liked the balance and I think a 20" bar buried in Hardwood is to slow on this saw. If I want to cut with a 20" bar I grab the 372xp. Here is a pic of my 254xp with a 16" bar. It's a good companion to the 385 its sitting beside.

attachment.php

I run a 3/8 chain and 16" bar on my 254xp (1997) and it pulls it with authority, its a nimble, great handling saw with a 16" bar. It came with a .325 chain and 20" bar but I never liked the balance and I think a 20" bar buried in Hardwood is to slow on this saw. If I want to cut with a 20" bar I grab the 372xp. Here is a pic of my 254xp with a 16" bar. It's a good companion to the 385 its sitting beside.

attachment.php

Good choise of bar size. :agree2: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
I'm glad to see they hold their value. Mine was 499. + tax in 1997 which was the last year for them in the US. The EPA killed them.

No mine came out of NC and with shipping I paid 240.00. It was in as nice a shape as that one.
I figured I would go as high as 250, I think they are as nice a saw as there is in that size.

Good luck with it. They don't pop up that often. Must be everyone keeps them. I didn't have that many people bidding against me. I didn't get my hopes up, but I lucked out.
Looks like yours came with the 18" .325 bar also.

Latest posts

Back