Husqvarna 254xp or Husqvarna 55 closed port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 254xp has a little more zip in it's whistle. The 55 is a good saw but they were bad about plastics melting over exhaust and chain brakes used to get a little warm. But if you maintain the saw kept it tuned and clean they do just fine. The 254's are a fun little saw. A local dealer has one on his used rack that's been teasing me for a while.

Does anyone know the rated horsepower of the Husqvarna 55 closed port saws?
Both saws have 45mm pistons/cylinders....................and air injection

It is a much stronger saw, and not so much heavier. It also is a true pro saw, while the 50/51/55 were consieved as a "Rancher" family of saws from the beginning.

I agree. I'm also not a fan of the intake and impulse setup on the 50/51/55 series. Cheesy compared to what's on the 254XP.

As per Acres site it appears the standard Husqvarna 55 saws are 32mm stroke with 3.3 hp and the Husqvarna 254xp has a 34mm crankshaft stroke with 3.9hp............I am assuming the specs to be accurate. The closed port Husqvarna is capable of a higher horse power ?.......? than the standard Husky 55. I don't imagine there is a radical power difference between the two saws.

About halv a pound, and the 254xp is a much more capable saw. However, I don't really agree with those that consider it a 50cc saw.....

The Husqvarna 55 has the same size piston as the Husqvarna 254xp................What is the factor that makes you feel the 254xp is not in the 50cc class?:msp_smile:

As per Acres site it appears the standard Husqvarna 55 saws are 32mm stroke with 3.3 hp and the Husqvarna 254xp has a 34mm crankshaft stroke with 3.9hp............I am assuming the specs to be accurate. The closed port Husqvarna is capable of a higher horse power ?.......? than the standard Husky 55. I don't imagine there is a radical power difference between the two saws.

The 254xp specs actually vere uprated to 3.0 kW/4.1 hp at some point, and an independant (and German) dyno test of late production ones showed 3.1 kW/4.2 hp.

To make it a little easier for folks to understand think of the 254xp like this.

Same weight as a Ms 261

And performance wise isn't far off of a 357xp.

IMHO the 254xp has a better range of power than the 357xp. Just a saw that's slipped through the cracks over the years. I can say more overlooked than underrated. You don't see many of them and the guys who have them don't like the idea of parting with them.

Latest posts

Back