Husqvarna 50 Rancher white top serial number question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friend of ours is down on her luck and we supply her with firewood from our rural property - we have no shortage and I love using my small fleet of saws. Usually I deliver but yesterday her SIL offered to bring a trailer and pick up a load to save me a trip. We got chatting about firewood and chainsaws and he wanted to help out by doing some of the cutting. Long story shortened he had an old Husky which was "unstartable" and he wanted to get rid of it.

Turned out to be a Rancher and after a good going over it started and now is running very well indeed. Used it to cut a lot of wood today.

Thought I'd see if there was any info about it on the Internet and found this thread, thanks.

Hopefully the pics may be of historical interest, especially the serial number on the plate.

Couple of things amused me. One is the "choke". The slider pushes a plastic lump into the carb intake - awful simple but effective. The other is the moulding on the handle. It looks like the sort of engraving found on high quality firearms.

Been lurking on this great website many years. Glad to finally be able to post something you may find useful.

Attachments

• RancherLHS.jpg
    RancherLHS.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 15
  • HusqvarnaSerialNumberPlate.jpg
    HusqvarnaSerialNumberPlate.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 15
  • RancherChoke.jpg
    RancherChoke.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
  • RancherHandle.jpg
    RancherHandle.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 13
Hopefully the pics may be of historical interest, especially the serial number on the plate.

Couple of things amused me. One is the "choke". The slider pushes a plastic lump into the carb intake - awful simple but effective. The other is the moulding on the handle. It looks like the sort of engraving found on high quality firearms.
Not hard to decode the year of manufacture with that tag ;)
Next to it is the oil tank vent which which tends to block with sawdust and congealed oil. Later models have a horizontal tube exiting at the bar mount, like the 154/254.
Similarly, if the fuel tank is original, it's vented via a small sintered-plastic disc at its highest point. These can leak or just fall out.

The gun handle moulding on the handle inserts were unique to the 50 and specifically aimed at the US market, as was the chunky rounded shape of the starter housing. Because the tank was to be shared with the 154 which was offered with heated handles, somebody decided to make a feature of the inserts on the 50 rather than just use plain orange ones.

Back