husqvarna 51, too muchbar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csd4682

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a husqvarna 51 chainsaw that I have been working on. I have it running pretty good now but I have exsessive bar oil. I can see oil spraying off the end of the bar when the saw is running, and when I turn the saw off, I can come back to it a while later and there will be a pool of bar oil onder it. I have read about an adjustment screw, but this model doesnt seem to have one. I pulled the side cover off yesterday and cleaned all the oil off, and then I turned the crank by hand 2 or 3 rotations and it pushed a drop or 2 of oil out of the oiler hole. Is this normal for so much oil to come out? I am not sure if the pool of oil under thesaw is from another leak, or if its due to the fact that so much oil comes out while the saw is being used, that all the excess makes its way out after the saw is shut down. I have left the cover off over night and had everything clean so hopefully I can see where the oil is coming from, or see if there is any oil at all since I didnt run the saw. If it is over oiling, what can cause this since there is no adjustment scew?

Well I checked it today and there is a small pool of oil. It is coming from behind the metal plate covering the oil pump. I dont know if its coming out of the oil hole or if there is a problem with the pump it self. I dont mind just buying a new pump but the manual says I need a bunch of specialty tools. Are the tools really needed? Any other suggestions?

Can't help you with the repair but dioes that saw have a vent? If the vent is cloggedmaybe it is forcing all that oil out after the saw is shut down. Next time you run it open the oil tank and then close it and store the saw. See if that helps.

Oiling bar is good, pump is working

A better B&C oil might stay on better.
A 51/55 will oil even idling, the IPL I have does not show clutch driven
oil pump like some newer saws, I have a 55.
A good cleaning in that area might be in order, could be a trash problem.

Last edited:
oil tank vent & pressure seal on 51/55

I looked @ parts breakdown @ eReplacement, my IPL doesn't have names,
just #'s unlike this site I use for reference sometimes. Either one could
probably cause problems.

Gas tank vent: you can see it if you take gas cap off empty, the other
end is in a recess under a small cover on right side.

Most likely coming out from the vent caused by pressure buildup inside the tank.I wloud say its"normal".Unless your oil hose is damaged under the pump body but it rarely happens.When you store the saw,loosen the cap a bit to release pressure.

Back