Husqvarna 55 Mahle Jug - Salvageable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougand3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Husq 55 jug a.jpg
Husq 55 jug b.jpg Husq 55 jug c.jpg Husq 55 jug d.jpg Husq 55 jug e.jpg

I pulled this off my parts 55 thinking it wasn't salvageable. But I wanted to ask here. I can feel some slight ridges on the exhaust side. Would you toss or 1000 grit sandpaper it or what?

What you can't have are gouges in the plating above the level of the top of the intake port. Aluminum on the surface can be removed with acid or sandpaper. More like 180- 200 grit wrapped around an arbor attached to a drill. Search masterminds thread on removing aluminum without acid

That's a highly desirable cylinder for that series of saws. It would be worth trying to fix. Most are open port. That one probably puts out 10-15% more power than ones with open transfers. Should take an hour or so if you have a Dremel and a diamond ball bit to get the tough stuff off first. Then wrap some 180 emery around a shaft that fits in your drill. Spray some oil inside the jug to keep the sandpaper from clogging

Thanks, huskihl. It's at another house tonite but I'll feel above the intake port for gouges tomorrow.

I'm willing to bet it cleans up. Follow this . I used a drill and a series of Sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel rod chucked into a 18v drill.

Above the intake port, I felt mostly smoothness - maybe a little transfer? This jug is extra to me, since I installed an AM jug, piston and ring on that saw. I'll put it up for trade in TP-parts. I'm looking for a 55: choke lever, air dam-shroud and muffler bracket.
Thanks all for opinions.

Pistons are NLA in OEM or aftermarket so keep that in mind before you spend a lot of time on it. Desirable if it has a piston with it. If it had a piston, it would be running right now.

Its worth saving that cylinder and pistons are available that can be worked over to fit that cylinder. You just have to buy the 45mm piston built for a 51 and then cut windows in the sides.

I did it here (crappy cell phone pictures but shows the basics)
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...-repaired-piston-cut-and-photos-added.249658/

I'm currently working on another one for Jred 2051 that has a closed port 45mm cylinder as well.

If you want to trade that cylinder I've got a ton of 51/55 parts recoils top covers Etc I'd send your way for trade.

Latest posts

Back