Husqvarna 55 thread(s) repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomos770

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello...

Friends Husqvarna 55 has lost (almost) both handle screws.....well one is missing....and second was barely there when I noticed a problem (while cutting the wood).

They are spax/knipping self threading typ of screws...and are screwed into plastic.

Threads are striped...you can thread screws in, but screw can not hold position in.

What type of glue or maybe epoxy would be suitable for Husqvarna plastic?

I am thinking of degreasing those two mounting holes....pour in whatever glue/epoxy is suitable and rethread handle back with 2 screws...IMG_20230829_212425.jpg

Find the "next size up" in self tapping screw/bolt to cut new threads in existing holes. You can pack the hole with pieces of zip tie to take up the slack- or possibly drill new holes in the handle to align with fresh plastic and make new holes.
Or, find a secondhand tank in better condition.

Find the "next size up" in self tapping screw/bolt to cut new threads in existing holes. You can pack the hole with pieces of zip tie to take up the slack- or possibly drill new holes in the handle to align with fresh plastic and make new holes.
Or, find a secondhand tank in better condition.
Do the the zippys have to be orange?

🤣

Thanks, I never knew what those were for, or for that matter, called.
A cheap alternative is a helicoil.
Just dont drill through it. Lol
How the heck would you insert those into the plastic?
I never knew what those were called either, or that they were for sale to the public. Cool Beans
Screenshot_20220426-004750_Chrome(1)(2)(1).jpg

I believe you heat them up- sit them on a soldering iron tip and force the hot brass into the plastic- remove heat, displaced melted plastic grabs the outer knurls and sets around them.
You can do the same thing using zip ties for added material using the original screw/bolt to form the new threads. Clean the original bore well with brake cleaner. As just about all plastic is pretty slippery you shouldn't need any release agent on the bolt. The trick is to use enough heat to make sure that any added material bonds with the original.

Ok....I know that plastic you are adding must be of the same material as plastic you are welding...

Is chainsaw plastic tank of the same material as zipties?

If yes....that wont be a problem...as I have professional heat gun/blower...

Shoud I add some aluminium foil into plastic to strenghten the threads?

Back