Husqvarna 576 xpw vs Stihl 461 "r" ..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splitterz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any thoughts between the two? Stihl is a 6 hp, but is the anti vibration that much better on a Husky? Don't know haven't run one ever (or, would the 390xpw 6.5 hp be the way to go?). I'd really like to buy the saw that has the least amount of vibration and I see that two or three of the new Stihl's are now including the av "springs" into their line-up instead of being rubber mounted. Must mean something because Husky has had those for quite a while correct? Also, some of the Husky saws appear to be more "red" than orange. Is that difference in color another indicator of the newer models? Thanks!

Love my 576xpw but it barely out cuts my buddies 441 cm. A 461 is in a Dolmar 7900 class in my opinion. 576 is the smoothest saw I've run though. Two saws in there own classes 461 and 390xp's neither company builds a equal saw to compete.

What about the auto tune feature, good or bad, or too early to tell yet? Looks like they're available in either configuration. I wouldn't mod the saw for quite a while either, for what that's worth. Thanks for your help. I've always heard that the Husky's are smooth running and have had the best av technology (springs!)

Auto tune seem to do fine in the 576. I bought one in 2011 and it had no problems with mods.

Speaking of the 576, why don't I ever hear much chatter about it, I also only know of one crew that runs them... Is it a power to weight thing whereas the 372 is just better weight wise? What is the difference between the two, something like 5cc for half a pound of weight?

Speaking of the 576, why don't I ever hear much chatter about it, I also only know of one crew that runs them... Is it a power to weight thing whereas the 372 is just better weight wise? What is the difference between the two, something like 5cc for half a pound of weight?

This is a saw that has a bad reputation because of the first models that AT malfunctioned. But the problem has since been solved, it is a very good saw!

not sure about that, I don't know, I'm feeling really sketchy about these auto tune saws in terms of their reliability - without modding them. I think I'll probably steer clear of them and stick with a machine I can tune myself..

not sure about that, I don't know, I'm feeling really sketchy about these auto tune saws in terms of their reliability - without modding them. I think I'll probably steer clear of them and stick with a machine I can tune myself..

Honestly, there's no problem with the AT, it's a great technology now.

This is a saw that has a bad reputation because of the first models that AT malfunctioned. But the problem has since been solved, it is a very good saw!

The 576 never had any AT issues whatsoever. The early 575's had bearing issues, plus it was heavy. The 576 is a lighter, more reliable version of the 575. All in all the 576 is a really nice saw, that simply lives in the shadow of the 372.

The 576 never had any AT issues whatsoever. The early 575's had bearing issues, plus it was heavy. The 576 is a lighter, more reliable version of the 575. All in all the 576 is a really nice saw, that simply lives in the shadow of the 372.

Yes.

The 576 is the 1st GEN AT and it hasn't had the problems of the Gen II AT (vis a vis 562). The 575/576 are virtually identical in weight- within a couple of ounces. Both are heavier than a 372, but both will outcut a 372. All of these saws are very smooth as is the 7900 (which I think is the best combination of power/weight).

I've built and sold a few 575's that get beat daily by tree services and are holding up well.

I had an early 575 that had the bearing failure on the PTO side at around 75 hours. I mitigated that issue by using a new MS-460 PTO side bearing and seal. It worked perfectly and I ran the saw another two months and then sold it locally to an older gent here who needed a smooth running bigger saw to block up some blow down on his property. It ran that way for another four years until his son dropped a tree on it.

I had an early 575 that had the bearing failure on the PTO side at around 75 hours. I mitigated that issue by using a new MS-460 PTO side bearing and seal. It worked perfectly and I ran the saw another two months and then sold it locally to an older gent here who needed a smooth running bigger saw to block up some blow down on his property. It ran that way for another four years until his son dropped a tree on it.

I have two 575's hanging in the shop, waiting to be rebuilt. I don't know the reason for their failure, but this is good to know.

I've not had a 575 with bearing problems. A couple were roached because of the funky needle settings, one of which was done by a saw shop.

I saw a race between a ported 7900 and a ported 576AT sometimes the 7900 would win sometimes the 576. I have owned both for awhile and like the both. I like the 576 better. I like autotune what else can I say.

Wish my 2153 was a 2253. Maybe someone needs to come up with a retro kit?

Dollar for dollar you can be in a 390xp vs a 461, no? 576 being a lesser expensive choice, as well as less cc's. 73cc 576 I think, 77cc 461, and 88cc 390. Double check those.

I've been thinking about a 576AT, good looking Husky, but keep thinking the 372AT will be out sooner than later. Will that ever happen?

Latest posts

Back