ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Husqvarna 61 restoration.

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Ryan_289, Apr 21, 2019.

1. president

president ArboristSite Guru

my new remark for dirty saws coming in for repair for sure
    clever,Bill

2. Matt93eg

Matt93eg ArboristSite Member

Good luck with the saw and enjoy the process. My uncle bought a 61 new In the late 80s. I was only a few years old(born 85). But I remember that saw when I was kid and now that I’m an adult I cut firewood with my Dad and Uncle and that 61 is still going.

3. Ryan_289

Ryan_289 ArboristSite Member

Finally got this thing clean enough to remove the cylinder tonight and it's not a 5mm head and it's not a 4mm. No problem, I grabbed my standard set and I'm missing the 3/16 which apparently is what size I need I did get block off plates made and knocked out a spark plug to run a pressure/vacuum test. Everything checked out there. I tried fixing the wires on my ignition and they broke of at the module while I was cleaning them up. I guess I'll give one of the aftermarket units a try.

It cleaned up decently well. Not as well as I hoped but not as bad as I was afraid. It took a lot of time scrubbing and scraping, some of that grease and dirt was hard stuck.

How difficult are the carbs to rebuild? I'm sure it will need a kit.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

4. burnses

burnses ArboristSite Guru

nice ! where ya get that new brake flag!

5. Ryan_289

Found some on Ebay. Still waiting on some parts to come in so I can get this thing all back together.

6. Ryan_289

Got my parts in this week. Cleaned up the cylinder and put a new caber ring in. Chinese ignition and a carb clean and it fired right up! I just realized that I'm missing my chain tensioner but I had to put the bar and chain on just to see how it would feel. It's not the cleanest saw around but it was my Pops and the first saw I ran as a kid.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Matt93eg

Matt93eg ArboristSite Member

Congrats!! Glad your Dads old saw is running. I have my Dads 1988-89 McCulloch PM610 on my shelf. Still use it. But it mainly stays cleaned up. It’s nice to have saws from our family members. My Dad let me have that Mcculloch to clean up. And he hasn’t came and gotten it back yet but he knows it’s In good hands.

Woodslasher, scottr and Ronie like this.
  8. Jasonrkba

Jasonrkba Addicted to ArboristSite

I'm glad you didn't paint it. Each scar is a memory an adds character. I have my grandfather's 10-10 he used to clear the land that he built his house on. PRICELESS.

Ryan_289 and Matt93eg like this.