I almost did it today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 40 yrs of cutting firewood, my buddy(new to cutting firewood) asked me if I would be interested in taking a chain saw safety course. Sure, why not??? Taught by the local Stihl dealer who also teaches loggers and holds classes @ the local university. Best thing I ever did, realized the proper way to drop trees and safely.

For me, it is 90% the terrain. In this very mountainous area, most cutting and dropping of trees is done on a steep incline. I pass up dozens of dead standing for lack of a good escape. Even the one on flat terrain pose challenges that only become apparent at the last stages. There is probably a 1000 good points to teach in dropping a tree, and a 1000 you just have to experience, or better to let go.

After 40 yrs of cutting firewood, my buddy(new to cutting firewood) asked me if I would be interested in taking a chain saw safety course. Sure, why not??? Taught by the local Stihl dealer who also teaches loggers and holds classes @ the local university. Best thing I ever did, realized the proper way to drop trees and safely.

0302161342.jpgThis was last year. Just happens I was raking when I herd it falling. It up rooted pulled the transformer off the pole to my house which leak oil out every were. The power company had a vacuum truck cleaning the woods in front of my house until 4 am that morning. All those acorns being suck up I didn't get much sleep.

For me, it is 90% the terrain. In this very mountainous area, most cutting and dropping of trees is done on a steep incline. I pass up dozens of dead standing for lack of two good escape paths. Even the one on flat terrain pose challenges that only become apparent at the last stages. There is probably a 1000 good points to teach in dropping a tree, and a 1000 you just have to experience, or better to let go.

Made a little change on your comment.

Not spending a couple minutes brushing the area out around the tree can be a very serious mistake if you need to move fast. I hate having anything around my feet when running a saw.

Yes, multiple escape routes. Last year I dropped a monster. it was so tall I didn't consider the wind/breeze up top. It was high drama when it looked like it might go any direction. There were 3 of us, and one maybe gave a scream.... :)

Made a little change on your comment.

Not spending a couple minutes brushing the area out around the tree can be a very serious mistake if you need to move fast. I hate having anything around my feet when running a saw.

Back