I NEED HELP! in more ways than one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
diltree said:
RB....The trees are very easy to top out with a bucket or an experienced climber for that matter; if we were to just get them to the ground. My dad did say you could pick them with the crane from slyders driveway or the road, which we would do only if we were to remove the trees from the premises completely. The price for $1800 was to get the trees on the ground no chipping or removal of any debris. As far as DBH and height go...I'm not sure i will need to talk with the old man!!!

www.dillontree.com

Gee, looked to me like a 6 man hour no haul....must be nice to be able to get $300 per manhour.

Based on that, you guys would bid about 80,000 on the 4 trees that I just looked at. One of the best local companies bid $18,500, which I think is mighty low....prolly 20-25 cords of wood, all has to be split and loaded. 110-130 foot hazardous pacific silver fir, topped at two and three different heights over the years, falling apart......appx dbh's 65, 45, 35,35......No crane access. Only way I'd consider doing the job at that price is hiring a bunch of temp laborers at $15 hr, and renting two wood splitters.

DBH = diameter at breast height.

Hi Slyder,

Photo in your avatar is a little dark, but that appears to be a Hayabusa infront of an older sportbike of undetermined vintage, but I'll guess it's a big Fizzer, butt the fender seems wrong. Possibly a CBR' but I can hardly tell.

That Hayabusa owns some big adrelaline thills. I love the way the 'Busa lifts the front wheel with easy contol, easy as pie, no effort, no clutch. It's a rush.

You'd like to take down these two pines not just to save money, let's face it, you are intrigued by the potential rush of climbing high and blowing it up!

But this is your first tree, grasshopper, you must learn to climb this small tree before you go big.

What was your first bike? Maybe a 600, maybe a dirtbike?

You wouldn't advise a new rider to get on your Hayabusa for their first ride, would you? No matter how big their balls, they haven't the skill.

I dig the rush of climbing as much as I dig getting my knee down in the corners, but I must advise you that you need some skills before you attempt to go after these Pines.

RedlineIt

RedlineIt

Your right it is a 2000 Hayabusa (my ride) last year of the unrestricted.
Yes with the twist of the wrist the front comes up quite quickly with ease.

The bike in the back is a 1987 GSXR 1100, one of the many I've owned.
I like dragging knee myself. The age is catching up to me though and I think I'm going to the Goldwing soon.

I have over time been collecting the necessary tools of the trade to climb.
I am the type to keep the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

It's the rush that keeps me enjoying life along with my family.

The next tool I must acquire is a nice climbing saw. I'm looking for a stihl 020, I've come to the conclusion this is the saw I want to climb with.

I still have doubts every time I stand and ponder the trees, but I can always use the saw.

Thanks for noticing what was and is still called the worlds fastest production bike ever built.

:cheers:

You know, if you were remodeling your kitchen with no carpentry experience, Id say, do your homework and be prepared to make mistakes. You may not wind up with the most cost-effective result in the end, but you will learn allot. This is not carpentry. Lose control of the saw 60 feet up or gaff out and it may be the last thing you learn. Or you may remodel your kitchen the fast way.

If these trees really do have to go, and you still think you can do this with no training, go strap those gaffs on and climb one of those trees with a block, slings, ropes and saw hanging from your belt. When you get about 50 feet up, stop and replay this conversation in your head. Look over at the house, look over at the power lines (you know their voltage and have the emergency number for the utility company right?), consider which way what you cut will fall, how you will rig it, and what is at steak should something not go as you expect. Then come down and tell me you still want to do it.

You have decided that the Stihl 020 is a great saw to climb with, and it is. As far as saws go, most experts will tell you that using a top handle saw on the ground is not a safe practice. So if you buy this saw to remove these trees it may be the only time you can safely use it. Then again safety doesn't exactly appear to be your main concern.

This is classic. I think you should wait until your kids turn 16 and then let them take your Busa for a ride on a canyon road the same day that you decide to take on these trees. I reckon it would be even money whose going to be in one piece the next night.

This job has nothing to do with having the balls to do it as you dont have the knowledge to know what your in for, in the same way that you kid wouldnt know what they are getting into by taking your busa out for a spin on a mountain rd. They might know how to ride a bike, they have seen you ride a bike and have no reason to think that they cant to it if they are willing to "have the balls".

I taught myself to paraglide, used to ice climb and solo rock climb, raced F3 for years, have ridden gp bikes, climbed and dismantled trees in 85mph winds. Dumb crap for thrills has its limits. Its not the very limited range of what you know that could kill you, its what you have no idea about and cant comprehend at this stage that could leave your house flattened and your family mourning your loss.

This is to keep everyone up to date.
The trees are still standing at this point.
I had Carpenl Tunnel surgery on my right hand on the 14th and it's healing fast.
I said I would tell everyone the other price after Newfie stopped by.
The one other quote I received from a tree company in my own town, he's how you say on the other side of the tracks was for 600.00 down and 700.00 mulched. I thought this was a perfect price. I told him I was contemplating cutting them down myself. He gave me his card and wrote the price on the back, handed it to me shook my hand and said call me when your ready, your close and the price will stand.

Well for the time being, I've been enjoying my Sam Adams.
Stay safe

John:cheers:

Hey dan,glad you could pull you head out of your a$$ long enough to say hello. how come you don't PM anymore?

John, $700? That's dirt cheap even around here. Ask him for his agent to send you proof of insurance.

TreeCo said:
Check your box.

Insurance? Ha! Just drives up the price.

There's a guy around here who is great at low-balling. He bid the removal of 8 large white pines for $800. The crane rental cost him $1200. Pure genius.:dizzy:

Hey People
No changes yet, trees are still standing.
Just went back to work and am trying to catch up.
It's funny how much can pile up after being out for almost 4 weeks.
Been fun though enjoying the family.

Roofers forum funny..........

No, haven't found that yet.

I'll keep checking in and keep you all up to whats going on.

Climb safe all.:cheers:

This sounds like as good as place as any to post this. I have one year experience cutting firewood in the Pike National forest. My wife wanted me to clear some defensible space around our house. She is quite paranoid about wild fires.

The tree in question was a Ponderosa Pine 52 feet tall and 42 inches in diameter at the base. It was 2 feet off my deck in front of the house leaning slightly in the oposite direction I wanted it to fall.

Without a plan or the proper equipment I set out on a Saturday morning to "save some money" and cut this tree down myself. Turns out cutting a tree down is not as easy as it looks when a professional does it.

There are reasons there are professionals who cut trees down. It is difficut, dangerous work. If you do not know what you are doing you risk injury to yourself and your property.

Cost of "saving money" by doing it myself:

$300.00 to the electrician who had to replace my electrical meter.

$1700.00 to the power company to come out on the weekend and replace the wires from the meter to the main line and the transformer I knocked down when the tree fell the opposite direction I intended.

I was lucky. It could have fell on my house and caused untold dollar amount of damage. It also could have done any of the above and killed me.

ADVICE: Big tree, close to anything valuble and inexperience....adds up to calling in a pro and having them do it right.

Ya! This is the exact thread to post that story on. Big thanks to you AJ. Welcome to the arborist. There should be more stories on this thread like that. I am sure they're out there. Sorry about the misfortune though, bummer.

My 10c

For a tree of that size and the location... the price seems fair. It's not the work that jumps the price up, but the liability. The one thing you need to do is make sure that whoever you use is insured. a 70' tree can do terribly large amounts of damage. I would highly recommend having an insured professional do this job for you... especially if the health of the trees is questionable.

Good Morning People.
Hope everyone is well.

I have been away, not far, I still see my trees day after day.
Their still standing.
I just finished splitting up last years cut for this years burn. Sold a few cord to buy a new saw.

I picked up a MS 260 Pro (new)(not sure)
and a MS 200T (used)(toy)
I still have my Homelite 1050 Automatic (landing saw)(trying to get away from to heavy)
Shindaiwa 695 (main dropping)
and my Olympyc 246 (retired) just don't trust it anymore.

I probably won't drop the pines this year now that Winter is around the corner and I have about 5 standing cord I must drop.
More than likely in the Spring.

I've been watching a few of the videos so keep them coming.

Climb safe all :cheers:

I say climb up there blow the tops out, chunk the spar down & hell with that new 020(which is the saw) to add to your collection nothing can stop ya!! a big S on your chest a red cape some fancy boots and you got all the gear you need!!!

Its home owners like this that really crack me up, I ride a busa, I have Balls, im a contractor, thats too much, I have balls!!!! yeah well Ive rode everything under the sun cycle wise h2750`s, nortons, trumps, ducati, harleys, V-max, zx-14`s, arial square 4`s etc... & none of this compares to tree work I just wanna keep my balls!!!

you Home owners want to save a buck, but when you goto work I bet you wanna make a buck uhh? I tell ya what, Ill come up & cheer you on, I want you to do it, go slyder go go... here in pittsburgh a 68 year old man died doing his own tree cause he didnt like the prices he got!!!

you, your just plain stupid pro`s on here gave you advice, gave you bids & still you want to do it yourself, I wont even wish you good luck!! you get what you deserve!! I`ll pray for your family.

LXT...........

Latest posts

Back