I NEED HELP! in more ways than one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I told my girlfriend about this thread last night and she said:
"Why dosent he buy some dental equipment and work on his families teeth instead of paying a dentist. He'd save a lot of money like that."
Kinda says it all really.
Get a pro in.

Well, this is to keep everyone up to speed.

I called diltree on Monday the 22 or Tuesday the 23 of this week and they should be here today to give a price. I believe I spoke with the father.

newfie said he'll get in touch sometime around next week.

I dropped my daughter off at a birthday party last Saturday, drove by a tree guy, gave him a call, he stopped by and gave me a price on the spot. Really nice person and very attractive price. Much better than everyone so far.
Drop'em and mulch'em.

I'm still looking at these trees and saying this would be a great adrenaline rush. The more time goes by the more I think, the more I think the more I wonder, Hmmmmmmm.

Do I or Don't I?

I've been looking at the stihl climbing saws........they aren't cheap

Hope everyone enjoys the Holiday!
:cheers:

Cool.

Let him do them.....or newfie and NETree

...and try your hand at recreational climbing, it's fun.

Last edited:
rbtree said:
Cool.

Let him do them.....or newfie and NETree

...and try your hand at recreational climbing, it's fun.

My feelings wouldn't be hurt if you let someone else do the job. I'll still take a look if you want. I'm so d@mn busy just trying to find time to do bids is a hassle. Luckiliy I finished a job early today so I can mow the grass which is going on 3 weeks now. Now I gotta stop screwing around here.

well dang it newfie, cut some trees, work overtime if you have too.
mow the lawn and get your butt over here. I have beer!:cheers:
just kidding.

I'd still like to get another quote.
This last guy was a lot cheaper than the others.

Thanks

I'd say "do it yourself" too...but not if you value anything in the potential drop zone, or your own life and limb if you intend to climb those babies yourself....as they look to have the potential to be widowmakers.

In all honesty, I also don't see where you'd save any money by doing it yourself....you need at least a small climbing saw and a larger saw to deal with the trunks, plus climbing equipment and assorted rigging, plus a chipper, plus at least one (and two would be better) helpers to deal with it...and it's still a good days work for both trees.
Add it all up and it's cheaper if you can get a bid in the $1500 - $1900 range, which seems fair. The $2200 bid seems a little high to me for a twofer like that.

And there's the potential for those trees to cause a lot of damage if done by an amateur, so I'd make sure it's someone who's got the necessary insurance too.

If there was nothing around I'd be saying drop them yourself. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

(And I agree those are easy 90' - 100' trees judging by the photos.)

Last edited:
Ok - i've been reading this thread thinking i would finally see slyder say, "I sumbit, it's more than i can handle!" But he hasn't so i'll say it! Slyder, it's too much for you! Please don't try it yourself - i agree, $2200 sounds a bit steep, down here that would be $900 - $1200. Get some more prices, make sure they're insured, and write the check. Those aren't learning trees!

Just so you guys know, we priced the job this past weekend...we were $1800 to get the trees Down and $2300 to take evreything away. My Dad Spoke with "slyder" and said he was a nice guy, but crazy to even think about climbing those trees. Thats my update for this thread

www.dillontree.com

diltree said:
Just so you guys know, we priced the job this past weekend...we were $1800 to get the trees Down and $2300 to take evreything away. My Dad Spoke with "slyder" and said he was a nice guy, but crazy to even think about climbing those trees. Thats my update for this thread

www.dillontree.com

Thanks for the report, diltree..mind asking your dad the dbh and height? did the $1800 include any brush chipping? Looked to me like a half truckload or so.....but pics can be deceiving. Could you guys crane the wood over the wires? and crane the tops as well?

Adrpk said:
I got dil tree. Goooo dil!

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm HOPING dil or some other competent arborist gets the work.

I'm just afraid slyder is going to tackle this on his own... :(

So am I, but there was another bid too, how much was that one. Let me guess about half.

Larry

Last edited:
RB....The trees are very easy to top out with a bucket or an experienced climber for that matter; if we were to just get them to the ground. My dad did say you could pick them with the crane from slyders driveway or the road, which we would do only if we were to remove the trees from the premises completely. The price for $1800 was to get the trees on the ground no chipping or removal of any debris. As far as DBH and height go...I'm not sure i will need to talk with the old man!!!

www.dillontree.com

Last edited:
OK people
I'd ask what the going odds are but that would ruin the fun of it all.

What does DBH mean?
I'm guessing..... I still haven't received my climbing companion book yet.

Dead Branch Height

I am hoping to get the last price from Newfie..
I know he's been busy but i'm hoping to get the last bid.

I will tell you the price the local guy gave me after Newfie, if he is still willing to come and give his perspective and price.

Type soon.

I don't think DBH is in the older version of the T. C. C. book, it has been revised and expanded, the newer version might have it, I also have to get the newer book. I have glanced at it at when I was at our Vermeer dealer, it covers not only climbing now but basic rigging and other related topics concerning tree work.

DBH = Diameter Breast Height or 4 foot above ground level. A more accurate method to measure a trees diameter because flares in the root collar can vary between tree species and within the same species.

Larry

Latest posts

Back