I need specific chainsaw info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mactel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi there.

great site!

just got a wood stove and I am looking for a chainsaw that meets my needs. Here is what I know: Husquavarna and Stihl are both great, poulan still a good saw...

I am looking at cutting 3-4 cord a year, cherry, average diameter 8-16"".

Naturally, I don't want to spend TOO much money, but i don't want to buy something that is made to trim hedges.

Specific models are welcome, but I am also looking for specific recommendations (cc's, hp, bar size, etc). I am considering buying used or factory manufactured, i just need to know where to start.

thanks in advance.
mac

A Husky 346 or a Stihl 260 would be my choices, when buying something new. 16 or 18 inch bar would do the trick. I would not buy a Polan. Had one. Would not stand up to much use. The saws I have work and work when I need then to work.

Hal

Use the search to find out more than everthing you ever wanted to know about saws and more importantly safety gear. I like a 70-80cc saw with big dogs, 24-28" bar with skip chain, but thats just me. Search is right between new posts and quick links

mactel said:
hi there.

great site!

just got a wood stove and I am looking for a chainsaw that meets my needs. Here is what I know: Husquavarna and Stihl are both great, poulan still a good saw...

Naturally, I don't want to spend TOO much money, but i don't want to buy something that is made to trim hedges.

Specific models are welcome, but I am also looking for specific recommendations (cc's, hp, bar size, etc). I am considering buying used or factory manufactured, i just need to know where to start.

thanks in advance.
mac

Won't give any specific models. I too, wouild not buy a Poulan again. Stick with Husky or Stihl down in the 028 range and the homeowner not professional models. Don't buy a big saw as you won't need it. In the future you may need one, that is the time to buy while keeping your old one. Nothing like having two saws with you in the woods with a choice of sizes.

As for size, the Stihl MS 310 is good but that is bigger than you need.
Can't say on Huskies as the only one I own is an old 51 and I'm not up on their sizes.

Harry K

No matter if you buy Husky or Stihl, get one that weighs 11 - 14 lbs.

I cut firewood for 5 hours daily and use a Husky 36. Still kickin' and the right weight.
You don't need a hoss to cut 8" to 16" wood. Just use a 16" bar. Less weight and better control.

Course "that's my story and I'm stickin' to it"

Better answers will be found here: http://arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

And like everybody said, Stihl or Husky (or Echo or Efco/JD or Dolmar or Solo) are the brands to stick with. Don't even consider current-vintage Poulan, Homelite, McCulloch, etc. - they're junk. By way of current models, some suggestions follow.

For your use a Husqvarna 350 or 353 seems ideal because of its very good power to weight ratios, with the 353 being my choice if you don't mind the extra $50 over the 350.

Stihl's 290 would be good, too, if somewhat heavy for its power output; they're notoriously durable saws, unless you crush them with a tree (oops). Stihl's 250 could work, though it'd be on the small side, but if you're not in any special hurry it could be a very economical choice. The Stihl 270/280 siblings would be good choices, too, though I think that there are better choices for that much money (like the Husqvarna 353 or Dolmar 5100).

Dolmar's 5100 would also be a good choice, if you are ok with the thinness of the current Dolmar dealer network.

With any of these saws I would go with a 16" bar.

computeruser said:
For your use a Husqvarna 350 or 353 seems ideal because of its very good power to weight ratios, with the 353 being my choice if you don't mind the extra $50 over the 350.

With any of these saws I would go with a 16" bar.

As a 353 owner, I agree with all of that.

firewood = the farm boss

i use my farm boss with an 18" bar for almost all of my firewood stuff. It is the ms290 mine came set up with .325 x.63 chain and it cuts like butter when the chain is sharp so keep her out of the dirty wood and the dirt and she will be exactly what you need. I did the same search this fall and decided on the ms290 on the dealer recomendations. It was head and shoulders over my poulan wildthing which has become my new limbing saw 14" bar installed between the two not much for firewood cannot be accomplished.

hey some great advice. thank you for taking the time. and yes, i am a regular at other forums of areas that I am more of an expert at. i do agree that it is frustrating when people do not search the forum- but it is illuminating when you are new to an area and you find a forum for help and realize how hard it is to use a forum search engine to navigate when you have a small foundation of knowledge. If you search "chainsaw" then be sure to take the day off work...

anyway, all in the way of saying thanks.

and goood call as far as safetey equip goes. I have eye protection, chaps, ear protection, gloves, and even a hardhat (although all the wood is on the ground). the thing i don't have that seems to be recommended is a hardhat with faceshield. does everyone use one of these? its hard to say overkill when speaking of your face, but it sometimes feels like overkill...
mac

Hello mactel,
Being a homeowner myself that gathers 5 cords/yr for personal woodstove use, my MS290 has been great. Got 18' bar (.325 Stihl chain) just in case of any 35' trees/logs around. I discarded the "safety" (green colored) chain since the 3-humped safety links interfered with chip-flow (and are much more difficult to keep proper raker height). Using Stihl RM chain for dirty wood or RS (more agressive) for clean wood. The MS290 is a bit heavy for its output and loses bragging rights against more efficient 'PRO' saws (alot more expensive). I will never again own a Poulan (big trouble I had).
3 years ago, the MS290 chewed through a winter's worth of pine cherry no problem. This year, it cut steadily through big red oak but that took a little patience. It eats silver maple no sweat. Suits my needs fine for the right price.
Keep your chain sharp.

Facescreen

Hi Mac, I wear a hardhat, earmuff, facescreen combo all the time around saws. The hat protects your head, the muffs protect your ears, the facescreen protects your eyes.

husky 365... maybe a bit big... but can do everything...can even fall with if if the chains sharp...they husky's are a bit tougher than still and the 365's are always on sale it seems.. my ms200 cost me 599 and i got a 365 for 650...that's cdn though...

Jak, good advice but they will not accept it. The old saws everyone used back in the 60s, 70s were way, way heavier than the saws today, all saws, homeowner to falling. Seems as the saws got lighter people have gotten weaker and weaker, you could run a very powerfull saw that wieghs 12-15lbs., like what normal old saws wieghed, but no, its too heavy, wahhhh. I cut firewood with a 371xp, I don't need to be there all day.

Husky 350-353

Not all that familliar with the 353, but if it runs as well or better than the 350 buy it!!!!! I bought the 350 last year cut close to 100 cord of oak and mixed ( walnut, hackberry, lots of elm, pine, trash.....) and love it, finally bought a new stihl this winter, let the booing begin, an ms 390, and love it more, but with what you are talking about the 350 is the way to go.
Andy

noobie/info

mactel said:
hi there.

great site!

thanks in advance.
mac
If you call Bailey's or Sherrill's, see the adds at the top of the page, and tell them what you are doing and ask them to suggest what you need, you'll have a saw in under a week, delivered to your home. These guys would not steer you wrong. Then you're on their mailing list and get their catalog. If you buy at your local dealers you won't get the wish books the sponsors send you and you won't know the thousands of tools available out there to help you in the wood. I would suggest you go with the 350 or 353 though myself, I bought a dozen moddified 346 xpg's. I cut a bit more than 3-4 cords a year. Go with the 353. Until you are cutting 3-4 cords before lunch, you don't need a bigger/faster saws for what you're doing.

geofore said:
If you call Bailey's or Sherrill's, see the adds at the top of the page, and tell them what you are doing and ask them to suggest what you need, you'll have a saw in under a week, delivered to your home. These guys would not steer you wrong. Then you're on their mailing list and get their catalog. If you buy at your local dealers you won't get the wish books the sponsors send you and you won't know the thousands of tools available out there to help you in the wood. I would suggest you go with the 350 or 353 though myself, I bought a dozen moddified 346 xpg's. I cut a bit more than 3-4 cords a year. Go with the 353. Until you are cutting 3-4 cords before lunch, you don't need a bigger/faster saws for what you're doing.

I concur!

saw

go to stihl or husky who ever is close with the best service and warranty i think they will both give you lifetime warranty on ignition systems for your application. I'm still rebuilding my 288 huskys for now best saws ever built next to the 2100. I don't have a clue which way to turn when i burn all eight of them up.

i have a 372xp with an 18" bar and i cut about 100 cords a year..i can blast through a 30 foot top in about 5 min's...there a little heavy but man you can eat some wood!

Back