I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I put this one to the wood tonight for a quick test. Runs great, but I prefer a standard .325 chain and bar to this NK setup which seems way too flexible. It does cut quickly though. It does feel smaller in the hands than an 026 but when you compare side by side the 026 body is just as trim if not thinner but the handlebar sticks out 2" further on the flywheel side of the 026 lending it a percieved fatterness.

Also, this thing falls over every time I set it down when running. Whats up with that?

I still prefer the 026.:chainsaw:

Wow, that's really clean, did you say $50!!! Looks like a killer gift saw for cheap. I would have been very tempted to build a wolf in sheeps clothing out of that, especially since it was so clean and harmless looking. I'm thinking 242XP jug & slug, race ported running around 16K out of the cut. That would turn some heads at the next GTG. Anywho, great saw and very nice of you to hook your father up.

Edit: I'm not sure if that is even feasible, thought the 242XP was a 45cc cylinder but it looks like it's 42cc. I suppose if you were changing the whole top it might work.

Scott

Last edited:
Wow, that's really clean, did you say $50!!! Looks like a killer gift saw for cheap. I would have been very tempted to build a wolf in sheeps clothing out of that, especially since it was so clean and harmless looking. I'm thinking 242XP jug & slug, race ported running around 16K out of the cut. That would turn some heads at the next GTG. Anywho, great saw and very nice of you to hook your father up.

Scott

It wouldn't cost any more do do a 346xp P&C, and with the 353's non-limited coil, could turn similar revs. I recall a video of someone's modded 346xp pulling a 24" bar in big wood, and just screamin'!

Well I put this one to the wood tonight for a quick test. Runs great, but I prefer a standard .325 chain and bar to this NK setup which seems way too flexible. It does cut quickly though. It does feel smaller in the hands than an 026 but when you compare side by side the 026 body is just as trim if not thinner but the handlebar sticks out 2" further on the flywheel side of the 026 lending it a percieved fatterness.

Also, this thing falls over every time I set it down when running. Whats up with that?

I still prefer the 026.:chainsaw:

The 16" Husqvarna NK bars that I have don't feel terribly flimsy, but the 18" feels noticeably more so. The idea behind NK is lightweight, and thin cut, so a compromise. This may be part of the reason my 353 seems noticeably quicker than my 026 with 16" .325 .063.

Doesn't the 242XP turn more R's stock? I was thinking it wa good for 15,500 compared to the OE 346's 14,500. The NE 346's are more like 13,800 if memory serves me, although all these numbers could be manipulated with a little port grinding and polishing. The 242XP would be the more exotic route to go for sure, if it could be done.

Scott

Doesn't the 242XP turn more R's stock? I was thinking it wa good for 15,500 compared to the OE 346's 14,500. The NE 346's are more like 13,800 if memory serves me, although all these numbers could be manipulated with a little port grinding and polishing. The 242XP would be the more exotic route to go for sure, if it could be done.

Scott

Supposedly the the 242xp turns 15,500 stock. The 45cc 346xp is 14,700 and the 50cc 500rpm less. The 353 doesn't have a limited coil, and the 346xp top end is a direct bolt-on. The stock 353 makes more hp than the 242xp, 3.3 vs 3.1. Open the muffler a bit and retune, or use a 346xp top end for more. Port for even more! The stock carb and intake may be the bottleneck.

The 242 and 242xp is on a smaller crank case with the 238xp and 246. Its a 10.3# platform with a single bar nut.

Edit: I'm not sure if that is even feasible, thought the 242XP was a 45cc cylinder but it looks like it's 42cc. I suppose if you were changing the whole top it might work.

Scott

Yeah, I paid $50 for the saw plus about $12 to ship it here. There were more parts missing than I thought would be so I ended up having to buy

bar and chain $22
screench $3.5
air filter $12.50
piston $65.00
spark plug $1.89
shipping $18.00
---------------
$122.89
$62.00 saw and shipping
---------------
$184.89 total

I had budgeted $150.00 for the whole deal but the missing air filter and screench kinda messed that up.

Anyway, I didn't need it but I figured my father would like it since he is using an old 10-10 to cut firewood now. The 10-10 is a great saw and I have one too but it's just a toy really, my wrists don't like me to use that one for more than an hour or I get numb and weak. I think dad has the same problem but he dosen't complain about it, I figure the 353 will treat him much better in that regard.

He's a good father and deserves it.

The 16" Husqvarna NK bars that I have don't feel terribly flimsy, but the 18" feels noticeably more so. The idea behind NK is lightweight, and thin cut, so a compromise. This may be part of the reason my 353 seems noticeably quicker than my 026 with 16" .325 .063.

Funny, now I have the same setup here at the house. 353 has a Bailey's .325NK setup and the 026 has a Bailey's 17" .325 .063 setup. I think I like the .325 standard setup a bit more, the bar certainly seems more substantial and it looks like it might be easier to sharpen the standard kerf chain.

The post 2003 versions of the 350 and the 353 have a 45mm piston. ...

Think it happened a bit later, but it sure did (US only though) - and the 351 to 353 change happened earlier, not at the same time.

The 45mm 350 piston is not the same as the 353 one - it is "dished" on the top, which reduse power output a bit. Jug is the same.

The reason it happened was EPA, nothing else......;)

The Husky (and Oregon - not always the same) NK bars are reputed to be sturdier and better than the Carlton and Arbor pro ones.

NK is perfect on the 353, imo - but not on the NE346xp......

Back