If you could do it over ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
After some discussion between Tundraotto comparing the Shindaiwa 488 to the Husky 346, I got to thinking. If I could buy all new chainsaws today What would I buy. Now I like the current saws that I have ( Stihls & Shindaiwas ). This site has opened my eyes to alot of other options. The Husky 346 & 385 and the Solo 694 would be some of the saws that I would take a hard look at. So, if you could do it all over what saws what saws would get the nod from you.

Howdy-

The 385 is a top choice, as is the 346 and 359. Can't forget the 088. The 046 would be one to stay away from. Cutters here are only averaging 50 days @ 5 hours a day of cutting before the 046's main bearings fry. The Oleo-Mac 999 is also fantastic, as was the Jonsered 2083.

i love my 346xp and my ms460 but if i was buying a new climbing saw it would have to be the 335xp. i wouldn't buy a mid range (036, 357.....) because for me there isn't much point, if i need to make a big cut just get my 460 out and cut it, i have 2 036's and they are a great saw but when you have a 77cc saw and a 45cc saw there's not much point in having a 62cc saw. just my HMO:angel:

Jacob- I suspect OE with those 046's. (Operator Error) Since Husky dealers are nonexistent around here, the 046 is one of the most popular bigger saws in my area. Tree crews get 5 years miminum out of them, if they abuse the heck out of them.

If I were spending MY money, I'd stick with my 3400 Echo, Stihl 026 and 046.
If I were spending someone else's money, I'd go with a Husky 335XPT, Stihl 026 and 046- all modified! (With no dealer support in my area, I'd need an extra Echo 3400 to back up the Husky)

346xp-16", 385xp-20", 3120xp or 088 both 28". (money no object)

husky 136-14", 066-24" (this would be on a tighter budget and requiring a really good price for the 066).

Howdy Treeclimber-

You're close on the O.E. part on why 046s or MS-460s don't last here. It's not exactly error, but they get a lot of hard use. My crews and other guys are production fallers, they do a lot of heavy bucking, boring for jack seats, notching stumps for tower guy lines, or cleaning up big Douglas Fir and Cedar blowdowns. These guys are running 36" bars which is a heavy load for the smaller 046 crank and they expect it to perform like an 066, just doesn't happen.

Without a doubt I would choose the MS200, MS260 and the MS460 with the same as back ups. For now I have to use Husky for backups. :rolleyes:

I am not a logger so my choice is based on tree care. My last job had a lot of Husky saws and were great but I prefer Stihl. The Husky 3120 is a nice little saw. :D

i have heard of these durability problems with the 046. The 044 seems to be the workhorse that does not die when it comes to stihl - along with the 066 of course.

echo 3400- 028- 372 husky.
this with one 50cc backup.,probably another 028 . got it all now but the bigger saw. im waiting to see if a 65 cc partner ,my mechanic is getting ready for me ,turns out to fill the bigger saw needs i run into occasionally.thats all i need . now what i want is a different story.
an the list is too long.:)

i'll have think this one out;
stihl 020t
stihl 023
stihl 026
husky 357xp
husky 372xp
husky 288
stihl 066
other good choices are;
sachs 120si
stihl 028 super
stihl 031
husky 365
stihl 044
stihl 056
stihl 064
sachs 153
darn, someone is at the door and it looks like anheuser busch. i'll be back. marty

Marty how do you get AB to del to your door? You must be a volume customer:)

Jonsered 930
Jonsered 670
Husky 55
Homelite Super EZ

I have half of that , the 930 is next:D

Oh I wouldnt mind picking up an 090 at a garage sale somewhere:D

I would lean toward the merchant/brands who is most likely to be there to get parts when you need them. In other words, no Husky dealer, don't buy Husky. And the size of the dealer isn't that big of factor, there have been some bigger ones go out around here. (Lawn and Garden Tractor "Echo - Stihl, Husky" was in West Terre Haute; gone after 30 years). I'd choose a brand that has multiple dealers within, say, a forty mile radius.

One of the reasons I chose Efco as one of my brands is because folks can get parts for them thru John Deere if I'm not here.

Originally posted by bwalker
These guys using 50:1 oil Ratios per chance? Ken dunn spoke of failures like these with 50:1 ratios in one of the oil threads.

Jacob- I gotta agree with Ben here. Even with your workload situation you should be getting a couple years out of those saws. If I were running saws under those conditions, I'd be using a quality oil like Stihl or Husky and mixing it at 40-1 instead of 50-1. Too many guys mess up at the gas pump and if they are aiming for 40-1 then they might not get it too lean as often.

"I choose efco over husky because of parts availability"??? have they been putting something in the water over there lately?.. Your JD dealer shelves parts for your efco? Must be a big dealership.:p

huskyman,
people around here think we are a bunch of tree cutting lawyers. when we are not taking down trees we are working on a case. LOL marty burp!

Howdy-

Yes, I agree, the 046s should be lasting at least five years under heavy use with good mix. We're using 92 octane pump gas with Castrol full synthetic mix @ 44:1 ( and square ground chain ). What's actually happening on some of these saws is the crank is pulling the PTO side bearing seat clean out of the case. And since it can't be welded back ( we tried welding one, but the magnesium just bubbled ) the case is ruined. I had four 046 saws that just had the flywheel side of the case. Since Stihl only sells the complete case, I was out of luck.

The MS-460 seems a little better, and it has slightly better porting so the lubrication qualities may be better? The 044 is truly a workhorse. We were hopping them up and running 34" bars and .404 chain on them for around 6 years before the crank would completely blow up. The 066 crank is fantastic. Perhaps we should put an 066 crank and top end in a 460 case??? something to think about!

It sounds like the chain is getting hot (easy to do with that much power) and stretching. The operator tightens the chain when it's hot, then sets the saw down to cool off. The chain shrinks back up when it cools and can pull the crankshaft hard enough to rip out the bearing seat.
If you go out to the shop in the morning and can find saw chains stretched tight as a guitar string, that is probably what is happening.

Sounds like the case is getting hot and as a result the clearance between the bearing and the case opens up causeing the bearing to walk out. I would run them at a 32:1 ratio and see if it helps some. If it doesnt take the bearings out and apply loctite bearing locker to them and re install. That should solve your problem. The loctate stuff is available from J&L industrial supply.

Latest posts

Back