If you could do it over ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Jacob J.
Howdy-

Yes, I agree, the 046s should be lasting at least five years under heavy use with good mix. We're using 92 octane pump gas with Castrol full synthetic mix @ 44:1 ( and square ground chain ). What's actually happening on some of these saws is the crank is pulling the PTO side bearing seat clean out of the case. And since it can't be welded back ( we tried welding one, but the magnesium just bubbled ) the case is ruined. I had four 046 saws that just had the flywheel side of the case. Since Stihl only sells the complete case, I was out of luck.

The MS-460 seems a little better, and it has slightly better porting so the lubrication qualities may be better? The 044 is truly a workhorse. We were hopping them up and running 34" bars and .404 chain on them for around 6 years before the crank would completely blow up. The 066 crank is fantastic. Perhaps we should put an 066 crank and top end in a 460 case??? something to think about!

Just get an 066 :D

No need to do it over. Got all the saws i want.
1- 066 mag

5- 066 mag backup

also got a little 020 i hardly use, along with a 038 mag.

Jacob J.
On your 046 cases,did you ever try to mill out the bearing hole and make a bushing for them?
Later
Dan

Back