i'll be darned , look what i found

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberturner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Timely Tech Topics: Trouble Shooting
by Stuart Lumpkin & Van Greer
CDC/BME Technical Services

Dealing with unhappy (and sometimes irate) customers is something that we all dread. Unfortunately, if you do business dealing with the public, you're going to have customer complaints. And sometimes they’re justified.

Just this week we had a situation with a professional user who came to us complaining that his 066M with a new cylinder & piston (C&P) was not working properly despite the fact that the C&P had been replaced recently by a dealer’s technician.

Our inspection revealed that the unit ran lean at idle on the correct carburetor settings, and we determined that the carburetor diaphragms were stiff and distorted.

A simple carburetor rebuild corrected the problem, but that second service call to us was an unnecessary (and understandably aggrivating) step for the customer.

The technician who performed the original C&P replacement found the C&P failure and repaired it easily enough. What he didn't do, though, was diagnose the unit to find the cause of the failure. Had we not found the carburetor/diaphragm problem, the C&P failure would have happened again and again.

There is a moral to this story. Anytime you install a new cylinder and piston on a unit that has suffered a lean seizure you should go through the fuel system thoroughly. To help you with this important task, we have prepared a checklist that you can use anytime you have a lean type failure to a two-cycle engine.

In these seven easy steps that take only 15 minutes, you can trouble-shoot a unit, then repair it correctly the first time, putting a stop to those troublesome comebacks and irate customers.

In seven easy steps all vital engine systems will have been inspected and thoroughly tested. Any possible problems should have been identified.
If no problems were found, then you can feel confident that a standard "tune up" will repair the unit. If problems are identified, the customer can be advised of the repair costs.

There are only three problem areas that will not show during these tests:

ignition timing
internal engine damage not seen through the ports
and internal carburetor problems
Internal damage should be felt or heard while testing. Internal carburetor problems can easily be identified. Ignition timing problems are rare and should be considered as a last possib

Might have to forward this to the shop that's got my tool !

Whenever I do a piston cylinder replacement, the est. always includes a full gaket and seal replacement and fuel system rebuild. After following the problems in another thread about an 066's woes I've concluded that even though my repairs include new seals and gaskets that I also need to include a case leak down/pressure check.

I've always believed not doing the gaskets and seals and fuel system repair following a lean run damage situation was foolish. I now realize that not following up with vacuum and pressure checks to assure my work is correct is just as foolish and won't happen again. In the past I've only relied on the vacuum and pressure checks for diagnostics in warranty requested repairs.

While at the parts counter over the years I've found that do-it yourself rebuilders usually have rebuilt several saws. They order the top end and the appropriate gaskets, but always seem to forget the crank seals and usually reuse the old intake gasket or boot. I try to discourage this practice. Nothing surprises me much anymore when it comes to saws. I've had customers come in and order new top ends for their 272K and tell me that they would just use their old filter!

Latest posts

Back