Inside the "Triple Nickel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ln any case l would take the opinion of someone who operates on these systems and around them for a living more seriously than someone who does not. Everyone who's been around AS long enough comes to realise Niko loves Huskies and passionately hates Stihls. He even hates Stihl chain and prefers Oregon...that is how much he don't like stihl. However on the basic stuff he has helped ooodles of noobs with little things that others won't bother with and his dedication to the site is unprecedented. Do l take everything he says as gospel....hell no, do l value/respect his contribution to the site.....absolutely.

Here's the 555 with the 562XP transfer covers. This was another brand new Stihl RS chain, .058 gauge for the Tsumura bar. I hit a screw in my log stand with it. So, it had to be filed. I'll use this same B&C next week when I run this topend on the 2260. The other new RS chain that I was running on the Husky bar hit a steel post in the wood lot where I've been running it. I hurt it pretty bad and had to grind it. BTW, the saw now has 4 tanks of fuel through it. Also, I had to cut off 8"-10" of the log to get past a knot. Hopefully I'm at a point where I can get a decent comparison with the 2260 next week.

Here are a couple pics to show the differences in the transfer covers. The 562XP covers are .085" deeper than those from the 555. That's a pretty significant difference.

IMG_4204-L.jpg

IMG_4205-L.jpg

Here's the 555 with the 562XP transfer covers. This was another brand new Stihl RS chain, .058 gauge for the Tsumura bar. I hit a screw in my log stand with it. So, it had to be filed. I'll use this same B&C next week when I run this topend on the 2260. The other new RS chain that I was running on the Husky bar hit a steel post in the wood lot where I've been running it. I hurt it pretty bad and had to grind it. BTW, the saw now has 4 tanks of fuel through it. Also, I had to cut off 8"-10" of the log to get past a knot. Hopefully I'm at a point where I can get a decent comparison with the 2260 next week.

I'd lean it out a little. sounds rich...

No problem......I'm as interested as you in the differences they make.
They made some difference, but nothing huge. They certainly didn't hurt it. I think they will work hand in hand with the stuffers, bumping the velocity back up with the wider transfer ducts? What do you think of that theory.

Good thread Brad! lt shows commitment when you do the vids in the dark lol. Would narrower transfer ports give faster velocity/less volume and wider ports give slower velocity/more volume?? Maybe l am on the wrong track but when l need to clean my truck l put a tiny nozzle on the hose which massively increases the velocity of the water coming through it where as when l need to fill a pool of water the nozzle acts as a 'choke point' slowing down volume.

Randy do you think the transfer covers would make a difference on a stock saw or just the ported one? Also what is the part # on those you sent Brad? Thanks

thats what mitch did to my 555.
562 jug and stuffers,no portin,ran harder.
I have not run a ported 562 but my 555 sure runs harder!
and the muff mod.

Good thread Brad! lt shows commitment when you do the vids in the dark lol. Would narrower transfer ports give faster velocity/less volume and wider ports give slower velocity/more volume?? Maybe l am on the wrong track but when l need to clean my truck l put a tiny nozzle on the hose which massively increases the velocity of the water coming through it where as when l need to fill a pool of water the nozzle acts as a 'choke point' slowing down volume.
This is just a theory until I drop this topend on the 2260. But, I think the wider transfer covers are needed to flow the volume need to make the power that the 562/2260 does. The stuffers are then needed to get the base compression back where it needs to be.

No. I'm not splitting the 555 to put stuffers in it. I'll simply take this topend and drop it on a 2260 next week.

Don't blame you. Heard that Husky magnesium strip easy. Use once and throw away, kind of like torque to yield head bolts in automobiles.

The removable covers make grinding to transfers so nice, don't they?

Brad, you have the energy to cc the covers and the 555 case vs 2260 (562) case? I think it would provide an interesting data point when compared to the port timing and saw performance.

Back