Iowa Spring GTG II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Levi said it beat a couple 346's. It would have been fun to run with a decent chain against Mitch's 350.

Mitch's 350 will stomp a hole in the 023's butt...No question there....
It runs about 15,500!!! And I think it'll go higher, but that seems to be it's happy place...
I actually kinda want one...:msp_sneaky:

How about a decent chain for your frosty berry bar! :buttkick:

beep beep beep... back that truck up! :check:

The 2 chains I have for the frosty berry bar are stihl 404 full skip! can you really complain about that??? I think the only thing that you can open ur mouth about is that it's not 3/8 or square ground... I'm sure you could fix the square ground problem for me though... :D

Levi said it beat a couple 346's. It would have been fun to run with a decent chain against Mitch's 350.

Or my 350:msp_sneaky: I never got to race it against anything other than losing the dollar race! Aussie style was definately a hoot!

Id like to add to the swapmeet..... A log or two for test cuts only:angry: for those with running complete saws for sale or trade:msp_smile:

Thank you Hedge for your un-biased operation of the two saws in the chain race. I am disappointed that we didnt have more entries! I really meant the chain race to be a work chain race but most of the cahins were race chains! Oh well, we all had fun and the numbers are interesting!!

Or my 350:msp_sneaky: I never got to race it against anything other than losing the dollar race! Aussie style was definately a hoot!

Id like to add to the swapmeet..... A log or two for test cuts only:angry: for those with running complete saws for sale or trade:msp_smile:

Thank you Hedge for your un-biased operation of the two saws in the chain race. I am disappointed that we didnt have more entries! I really meant the chain race to be a work chain race but most of the cahins were race chains! Oh well, we all had fun and the numbers are interesting!!

Numbers.... I need chain numbers!!!!
:eek:ps:

What I found interesting about some of the chains was, they were hungry for more power...
Had to be light handed to keep from dropping the saws rpm's... The results may have been different with a different saw... But maybe not...

You could post the times of the other stuff too...

What I found interesting about some of the chains was, they were hungry for more power...
Had to be light handed to keep from dropping the saws rpm's... The results may have been different with a different saw... But maybe not...

I've noticed that really sharp sq chain needs less raker......

Yes, but if ya got the power, well???
Sometimes ya just can't leave well enough alone...

But if ya go too far....???
:bang:

Keep them rakers high and smooth... I only run mine at a max of .015 or less " on race chains" , especially with a big rim. Much more forgiving when u have terrible form at racing like me....

Keep them rakers high and smooth... I only run mine at a max of .015 or less " on race chains" , especially with a big rim. Much more forgiving when u have terrible form at racing like me....

Aaahhhh.... That's why that semi-skip was so smooth!!! I really liked that chain... I remember running it and hoping it was mine, just to look down and see semi-skip... :bang:

Of course the winning chain was considerably lower than that...
:msp_sneaky:

You guys and your big rims....:fart:

You guys and your square chains. Had I remembered I would have sharpened the chain I had in my tool box. My semi chisel chains cut pretty fast. That set up I raced Andy with was 4 inches more bar semi chisel. And I didn't see a huge difference. I've found a routine that works for semi chisel, but my raker depth as Hedgerow and I talked about on my full chisel is a little off.

Square is faster just don't have the stuff or the know how to do it.

I bet mine was one of the hungry ones. It worked well on my 372BB.

Last August at Baraboo I looked at Steve Melzer's (Z4lunch) chain on his West Bend 820 powered hot saw, rakers (aka depth gauges) were set about 0.080"; he noted he just kept lowering them and the saw kept pulling so he just keeps going. Even at 0.080" the saw showed no signs of bogging but it was a maple cant so perhaps harder wood may have made a difference.

Mark

Softwood "clean pine or popple" chains I'll run .025 to .035 but I'm still a newbie with this racing stuff

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 2

I like running .025-.030" on most chains set up for racing. Anything over that and it may get pulled down too low easily. I like to run 9 pins for 70cc saws.

Where's the times at from all the racing? :msp_confused:

:biggrinbounce2:

Yes, but if ya got the power, well???
Sometimes ya just can't leave well enough alone...

But if ya go too far....???
:bang:

This chain is at .017.

[video=youtube;g_yMZ9GuH0U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_yMZ9GuH0U[/video]

The Wiggs made it. I was really pushing on it........

This one is one that Jon did at .022

[video=youtube;vxN5kT17hlw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxN5kT17hlw[/video]

Had to put another strap on that block. :laugh:

Last edited:
Push too hard???
Waste horsepower...

Pull too hard???
Waste time....

Aahhhh, to find the perfect match for your machine...
:rock:

as mark h,,and others have said,,thanks to all,who helped put this gtg on!!! great weather,good food,,and fun was had by all!! tho i didnt bring a lineup of beautiful ORANGE saws..maybe next time....

Hey Oly, welcome back! (Now try to play nice with others :hmm3grin2orange: )

Back