Is cross cutting bad for my saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_7900.JPG Found some nice white oak and it's about 4' diameter. I did one yesterday. It was about 16" long. Guy said the tree company who took down said it would mess up there saws. That's my 064 with 25" bar standard chain. Would full skip be better for this job? I've got 32" bar with new full skip

View attachment 644663 Found some nice white oak and it's about 4' diameter. I did one yesterday. It was about 16" long. Guy said the tree company who took down said it would mess up there saws. That's my 064 with 25" bar standard chain. Would full skip be better for this job? I've got 32" bar with new full skip
Cross cutting is not bad for the saw unless there’s a foreign object in the wood, trunks close to houses tend to have metal imbedded in them, which will ruin a chain real fast. I assume you meant 16’, not 16”.:cool:

Noodling. Just make sure saw is clearing noodles, tends to clog clutch up, especially with wet wood.

Cross cutting is bad for your saw like driving it is bad for your car.
They will eventually wear out. But with good maintenance and a proper use...

Man that is some big wood! The good thing is that when there is tramp metal in a tree it is usually easy to spot because of the dark staining around it.
I don't see any in your pieces.

Enjoy

Ok thanks. I've been clearing it out last few days. Seems to be going good. I'm thinking about making a portable Manuel and build a cage and use a bottle take.the tree was over 100 years old he said

If you keep your chain as sharp as possible & when cutting don't bear down on the saw to much let the saws weight do most of the work ie don't take to many revs off the saw you will not do any harm, being as you are probably keeping the throttle open wide for a longer time period a more oil in the mix ratio woulld not harm it a 32 or 40/1 mix& re tune will keep your saw running problem free

If cross cutting or bucking was bad for a saw man I’d have a pile of them under my bench.
ebab44376b4f446a4bb00185627f643d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the saw in the pic above but with the bar rotated 90 degree at us.

Little al I just run my saw about half throttle maybe more most times, unless I'm cutting the full bar width I might go to 3/4

If your noodling, clean your clutch cover area..sharp chain, if wet wood slow the speed down a tad...The guy who said it will mess up their saw is an idiot.

If your noodling, clean your clutch cover area..sharp chain, if wet wood slow the speed down a tad...The guy who said it will mess up their saw is an idiot.

What do you mean, "slow the speed down a tad"? I hope you're not saying to ease off the throttle. Chainsaws have two speeds, idle and WOT. Running at partial throttle can lead to a lean condition.

Back