Is logging still a viable career path?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbilly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i got offered a logging job last week. Im currently a machinist but have a small fire wood/ logging operation on the side. Im really torn about what i should do. Stay where im at or go do what a i truly have a passion for. Theres a ton variables. But i was just looking for some words of advice from people in the industry. Im less than happy at my current job. Not really because of the work. More so the environment and my coworkers. But i have a fair bit of benefits, health insurance, life insurance, some vacation days. The logging job has none of that and would be a cash or 1099 type thing. Im just not sure. Any advice would be more than welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. I've been in the same situation for four years. I can actually make more money by quitting my job, but can't constitute paying $2000 a month for health insurance!

Anyways, if you can afford it, go for it! A lot of people are gonna tell you to do what you love, but unfortunately that's not always the best choice. Myself, I have three people that depend on me and although doing what I like would make me happy, I'm not gonna take a chance like that for their sake. There are some scenarios for me that can and will work, just a matter of time. Who knows. As for your situation, you're the only one who knows.

I will say this, the sky is the limit when working for yourself, but the mountains are much higher and the valleys are way lower!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Yeah forgot to mention. I have a wife and 4 kids under 10. Ive only had insurance for about 8 months didnt notice much without it. Had a little bite on the income tax. If anything happened to me i and they would be SOL anyway. I feel i might just have to draw straws and run with it.

I don't think I'd be able to afford doing it if I didn't have Healthcare though the VA and a pension. And that's just me and the dog. No way with kids.
Cash/1099 I wouldn't consider that being a career, but rather a short term gig.

2 years ago I got sick (ICU for a week sick). That bill was more than an average house costs.

With a big family I would suggest stick where you are and keep handling wood as a hobby. Consider upping your skills into programing CNC machines. Auotmation may replace the folks who swap tooling and switch stock but they still need someone to program.

Logging isnt one if not the highest comp rate in the book for nothing and when loggers get hurt the physics means they typically get hurt bad. My former employer had one of the last company owned logging crews in the East, the crews worked safe and had few incidences. The mill decided to go with contract loggers and most of the crew went to work for them. Many were seriously injured within months of switching over. It comes down to the only way a contract logger usually makes money is to take shortcuts and shortcuts mean injuries.

I was a machinist for a few years and then parlayed that into a manufacturing engineering career. I guarantee you'll make a TON more money if you take that route. Another engineering discipline is "Dfx" or Design for X Engineer. Essentially companies pay engineers who actually know how something is machined, molded, spun, forged, etc to review part drawings to ensure good manufacturability and producibility.

Nationwide you should strive to make about 3x your age in 1000's per year to "get ahead." I live near Silicon Valley (aka Fantasyland) and the multiple is more like 4x.

I've been out of the machine shop fer a month now, 8 years in the making.

Wouldn't go back if i had too.

Insurance is ****ed, period. Life ins is cheap though, i suggest that at least. Health ins... we're ****ed left and right so i dont have any. But the i dont have kids.

As for sticking with machining? Thats on you, however, wages have gone down with automation, the programmers are getting dumber as less and less feed back comes from the floor. The fact is they think they dont need us to keep thier machines running good... india and china can and will do it cheaper and frankley better.

Far as I'm concerned machining and factory skilled labor in general is a dying breed in this country, purely from automation and simple corporate greed.

An old machinist I knew once told me "you'll never get rich working for someone else"

As for logging, play it safe, stay out of debt, and keep work infront of you, diversify, learn to run any heavy equipment, dozers, excavators, loaders, anything and everything, cause logging eventually uses any thing to get the job done. and look into getting a cdl, trucking jobs are everywhere and not going away any time soon.

A short history of me, spotted owl, woods shut down when i was 12-13, I'd already been pulling choker with my uncle fer a couple years off and on, so i got into machining through high school vocational classes.... 15 or do years later machining sucked, and i was still in the woods when i could, started falling trees for fire firewood, but it got out of hand and i needed equipment to keep up... that turned into a few loads of logs... and the hook was firmly set..

Was a lead/manager/supervisor at half a dozen mach shops, i can program fanuc yasnac, mitsubishi and fadal, run lathes and mills, tooling i did it all regardless of the machine,

Decided in 2013 i was finally done machining and it was just a way to keep ins and let me build my business, april 1st i became a small biz owner...

It took longer than i would have liked but im full time logging now, and i own all of my equipment outright, i owe the bank only for a mortgage.

For what its worth, i've had migraines since i was a kid, nearly daily fer the last 14 years or so... think ive had 2 since nov 10th, the shop mentality is no longer one of inovation, but blind acceptance of fate, and ass kissing your way to the top, all things i detest, i would rather work with you to make you better then to step on your face to better myself... but alas... no one else thinks that way anymore.

So **** em, i'll keep my knowledge to myself and go logging.

I think many of us are in the same situation. I've been driving truck for almost 25 yrs. and I hate it anymore. Many of my fellow drivers feel the same. Benefits keep many of us from starting a business to get off the road.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I've been out of the machine shop fer a month now, 8 years in the making.

Wouldn't go back if i had too.

Insurance is ****ed, period. Life ins is cheap though, i suggest that at least. Health ins... we're ****ed left and right so i dont have any. But the i dont have kids.

As for sticking with machining? Thats on you, however, wages have gone down with automation, the programmers are getting dumber as less and less feed back comes from the floor. The fact is they think they dont need us to keep thier machines running good... india and china can and will do it cheaper and frankley better.

Far as I'm concerned machining and factory skilled labor in general is a dying breed in this country, purely from automation and simple corporate greed.

An old machinist I knew once told me "you'll never get rich working for someone else"

As for logging, play it safe, stay out of debt, and keep work infront of you, diversify, learn to run any heavy equipment, dozers, excavators, loaders, anything and everything, cause logging eventually uses any thing to get the job done. and look into getting a cdl, trucking jobs are everywhere and not going away any time soon.

A short history of me, spotted owl, woods shut down when i was 12-13, I'd already been pulling choker with my uncle fer a couple years off and on, so i got into machining through high school vocational classes.... 15 or do years later machining sucked, and i was still in the woods when i could, started falling trees for fire firewood, but it got out of hand and i needed equipment to keep up... that turned into a few loads of logs... and the hook was firmly set..

Was a lead/manager/supervisor at half a dozen mach shops, i can program fanuc yasnac, mitsubishi and fadal, run lathes and mills, tooling i did it all regardless of the machine,

Decided in 2013 i was finally done machining and it was just a way to keep ins and let me build my business, april 1st i became a small biz owner...

It took longer than i would have liked but im full time logging now, and i own all of my equipment outright, i owe the bank only for a mortgage.

For what its worth, i've had migraines since i was a kid, nearly daily fer the last 14 years or so... think ive had 2 since nov 10th, the shop mentality is no longer one of inovation, but blind acceptance of fate, and ass kissing your way to the top, all things i detest, i would rather work with you to make you better then to step on your face to better myself... but alas... no one else thinks that way anymore.

So **** em, i'll keep my knowledge to myself and go logging.
A man after mine own heart! Some more of my backstory. I was born and raised on a small dairy farm. I may only be 29 and grew up in the 90s and 2000s but i was raised and worked like it was still the 60s. We farmed with old oliver tractors and small eq. well into my high school years. Everything was done the hard way by hand but it was done our way. I guess maybe that lifestyle is what im looking for cause i just cant seem to be happy working for other people. After i graduated i wasted my time going to a trade school (now closed for fraud) to be an automotive tech. Never was. Eventually i found my way into a small farm shop. I wrenched for 6 years on anything that rolled in the door and i could run it too. (I was very thorough on my testing after repairs[emoji6]). Ive only been in the machining game for a couple years. There was a time when i thought id like it. But you hit the nail on the head about how people are. And being the guy i am i let them. Ive been at it doing firewood and logging for a couple years now also. Its been up and down. The dead ash here in michigan flooded the market. Every idiot with a pickup truck and chainsaw things theyre a logger now. Just last summer a guy got himself killed by dragging a tree into a standing dead one. I guess i miss some manual labor and so does my body. Im not afraid to get dirty or work where its dangerous. It makes you stronger and sharper. We had zero shields on things at home and everything was done the hard way and ive made it 29 years and not a single broken bone or stitch. Sorry for the rant just this decision has me consumed right now.

Oh also just to be a bit more specific. Ill be going to work for a small logging company. Theyre offer was pay by the day with the guaranty of 5 days most of the time. The theory is on the off time i can work on my own business and grow it. I have the supply right now and some eq. Just need a market.

Michigan. It basically means you're paid cash and then sort out the taxes later. A 1099 means im a self employed subcontractor hired to do a job. Then at the end of the year we split the taxes

This setup sounds way too sketchy to me. Too much risk involved for you and your family. If you were here in Oregon you could probably find something to meet your needs. They are always looking for operators here. If you can weld, service and repair your machine you can get a steady job. If you like to sleep in your own bed every night, I would not recommend logging. If you are going to work steady you will have to go where the logs are. I'm probably not the best person for advice as I was born to logging [3rd generation]. I've has 14 friends and coworkers killed over 35 years of logging. I can't count the crippled ones. The job that the companies are begging for is a heavy equipment field mechanic. Very good pay and you take no ****!

This setup sounds way too sketchy to me. Too much risk involved for you and your family. If you were here in Oregon you could probably find something to meet your needs. They are always looking for operators here. If you can weld, service and repair your machine you can get a steady job. If you like to sleep in your own bed every night, I would not recommend logging. If you are going to work steady you will have to go where the logs are. I'm probably not the best person for advice as I was born to logging [3rd generation]. I've has 14 friends and coworkers killed over 35 years of logging. I can't count the crippled ones. The job that the companies are begging for is a heavy equipment field mechanic. Very good pay and you take no ****!
Ive done the 1099 thing before and i know these guys. Its a two man setup that wants to grow but doesnt yet have the means to go full blow employees. On the flip side i most definitely have the skills to be a heavy eq mechanic. Which is part of why they want me. I have versatile abilities. I can pull my weight in any aspect of the job.

Ive done the 1099 thing before and i know these guys. Its a two man setup that wants to grow but doesnt yet have the means to go full blow employees. On the flip side i most definitely have the skills to be a heavy eq mechanic. Which is part of why they want me. I have versatile abilities. I can pull my weight in any aspect of the job.

Sounds more like you need to invest and be a partner...... That few people, everyone pull their own weight and everyone spilt the pay accordingly. Of course, most cases this type of thing ends badly in court some form or fashion. Lol. But if you trust them, and you're honest, this will be your best bet. One hauling, one cutting, one loading...

You'll just be competition if you're in the same area with your business anyways.

Either way, you really do need a plan for you and your family's health care. That's a must. My family is taken care of in every way whether it's as small as a sniffle or as drastic as a death. Not doing so is just plain irresponsible. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's the truth. Now I know sometimes there's cases where you have to take a chance and lapse coverage or something of that nature, but "sol" shouldn't be your plan. You either need an insurance policy or a bank full of money ;)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Back