Is the 034AV obsolete?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artbuc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Was doing a little research and found an article that classified my 034AV obsolete. My saw is unusual in that I have hardly used it since buying her new in 1984 (as evidenced by lack of wear on clutch, drum and rim sprocket) so I may not have an objective view. Had her out last week to fell a mature crimson maple and she ran like brand new. So here is my question. Does anyone still use the 034 for heavy residential or commercial work? If not, is it because it is too heavy, old technology (newer saws start easier and run/cut better) or too expensive to maintain or all of the above? Thanks.

Parts availability shouldnt be an issue. Its just the earliest version, the 034 super gets you a little more displacement and is still a very relevant saw. Essentially the same saw as 036/ms360.

Biggest difference between them and a new saw is the anit-vibe on them. New saws are quite a bit smoother but for someone who isn't running it 8+ hours a day every day they are just as relevant as any new saw.

I hope not, I'm about to go through one to give to a friend for wood lot maintenance at his property up north. I think I'm going to source a 48mm piston and cylinder for it though, so if anyone has one in their way I would be happy to take it off of your hands.

Is your 034 AV obsolete? Yes it is, because it is old. Then again, so is every axe.
If it works for you, who cares? Just do it.

I hope not, I'm about to go through one to give to a friend for wood lot maintenance at his property up north. I think I'm going to source a 48mm piston and cylinder for it though, so if anyone has one in their way I would be happy to take it off of your hands.
First time quoting myself, only to shut off the PMs. I found the 036 parts I was looking for. Any of you who I'd offered parts to the offer remains.

Latest posts

Back