Stihl 034AV Super: HLEP!! Question for you pros...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbecks

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i will premise this by saying I am not a chainsaw guy... I have two "1 acre" lots I want to clear myself and I will use it around the house randomly. I live in SC and don't need firewood.

I borrowed a saw from my brother in law and it was a piece of crap poulon and broke while I was using it. I went to pawn shop found the same exact one and bought it and it worked once and died. So, I just gave him a 120 bucks and told him if he wanted another one of those pieces of crap he could buy it! I saw a Stihl on Craigslist and went to get it for myself. I have lots of other stihl tools and love them!

I bought a Stihl 034AV SUPER w/ electronic quickstop. Lady claimed it was her dad's who had passed away and it worked great. I couldn't get it to crank. I assumed carburetor because it had been sitting a while. I bought it for 100 bucks and took it to a place I trust and was told the Piston and Cylinder were scarred and needed to be replaced but was too expensive and I should just buy a new saw. I considered tossing it (and cursing all chainsaws) but then ran into the other chainsaw mechanic in the parking lot and he said to keep it and that I should check on EBAY for the kit.

First question...

1. Is he right that I should not use it for an anchor?
2. if I buy a kit would this work? it is used... which makes me scared with my track record...

Stihl 034 AV super 034AV chain saw parts cylinder piston rebuild kit | eBay

3. If I need a new one... what brand should I go for?
4. Finally, Do I need a kit with a decompression valve or not?

And.. Just to rant and to accept all jokes that come my way....it will be one hour labor ($67) for them to rebuild it and get it running if I buy the kit. Plus the cost of the kit. I also spent 185 dollars on the borrowed poulan disaster and 39 dollars for them to tell me that my saw was burnt up. So...it sure costs a lot when you are stupid! ;-) That is 100+185+39+67+ the kit. So I am at $311 dollars and still need to buy the kit. I could have bought a beautiful new one at this point. Now do you see why I am coming to you pros for help??

Back