Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It isn't that new. I am thinking a 450 or something in that line. The high top for the air filter marks this type of saw. Maybe 510/520? It has the Partner influenced handle design. I gotta take some new J-Red pics of what I got. Maybe, I will have some time today.

Looks like a 490 to me. The 450 and 510 line of saws have the brake handle that connects on both sides of the saw.

P1010689.JPG

P1010794.JPG

P1010577.JPG

S6300003.JPG

S6300004.JPG

As an older model, I would place it as a 490 since the oil filler cap on the 450 is a bit higher.

The 490 is different from the other saws in that the entire "face" of the saw comes off for access to the filter. Most other JReds of the same era you had to take the top off. You can see the differences clearly when you compare it to the 455 picture i posted. :cheers:

When I first saw the sticker on the recoil I was thinking that it looked like an older design. I should have stuck with my first instinct. :blush:

As an older model, I would place it as a 490 since the oil filler cap on the 450 is a bit higher.

Thanks for the correction! :clap: I appreciate it when you more experienced J-red guys help to keep me headed in the right direction. :)

:cheers:

I'm sorry, I should have posted that it was a 490. It's actually more or less a Partner 500, that's why I asked if it counted as being a Jonsered.

No matter what it is, it is a good one for sure, and it runs like a scalded dog!

I need a new front handle for it, if anyone has one. I got it patched up with sheet metal and rivits for now.

Jred-2071 Work Saw

Here is a photo of my Jred-2071 muff. modded work saw one of my favorite saws ever ! I have one other Jonsedred which is a Jred-90 photo is coming soon...

too busy beautifying those old Pioneers to use the Jreds no doubt...:Eye:

Speaking of beautiful PES+ once sent me a link or pics to a picture perfect 70E that someone called "cowpoke" had restored (looked new) maybe someone can post them on this thread (I lost the link)...

The old Pioneers do take up a bit of my time, thats for sure. Also I have found that I can only run and use about 10-15 chainsaws on any given work day and that there is a select few that becomes the favoured work saws. I won`t name them as I don`t want to start a brand name war on this thread. LOL
Pioneerguy600

My father had a Jred about 15 years ago. No idea what model it was. It was an OK saw, but he ended up selling it because he didnt like the outboard clutch.
He took the money he got from the Jred and put it towards buying a new Stihl MS 290 and to the best of my knowledge has no regrets.

too busy beautifying those old Pioneers to use the Jreds no doubt...:Eye:

Speaking of beautiful PES+ once sent me a link or pics to a picture perfect 70E that someone called "cowpoke" had restored (looked new) maybe someone can post them on this thread (I lost the link)...

Brian
How many of your buddies can't start the 2094?!!
My 2095 is my favourite saw. :cheers:
PAul

The 490 is different from the other saws in that the entire "face" of the saw comes off for access to the filter. Most other JReds of the same era you had to take the top off. You can see the differences clearly when you compare it to the 455 picture i posted. :cheers:

You guys are both right(my head is held very l low right now):dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: You would think that I would recognize one of the saws that I use a lot of the time! Must have been a "senior" moment....although I am not very "senior". Thanks for the correction, guys.

I only have 3. I have a very low hour 2094 and 920. I also have a 2171 I bought new. I like them all very much as they are very fine saws. Some additional bonuses are: The paint does not sun burn like their sisters and the vast majority of their owners are not arrogant, like some others.

apparently fixing dead saws is addicting...

It sure is. I think that has become my favorite part of this hobby.

I've got about 20 Jonnys, and if I ever figure out the pic-posting deal I'll share them. PB will see them all when he stops by next week, maybe he can give me some how to on the picture thing.

BTW PB, you'll be the first to see the new limited edition 2175W.

Back