Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got around to tearing down my 49SP that has a case gasket failure. It burns bar oil. Anyway when I took the oil pump apart a small white plastic part dropped out and I am not sure where it goes. I didn't see it in in the IPL and it doesn't fit the bore in the case. I took a couple of pictures:

20190929_052716-1-jpg.762499

20190929_052733-1-jpg.762500

Does anyone know what size the o-ring is that is on the adjuster screw? It is part # 740 43 03 00?

49sp-oil-pump-jpg.762498

My o-ring has turned to goo and is unmeasureable.

Any help is appreciated.

Bob

Any chance that nylon piece is an oil hose barb that broke off or came loose?

The reason you can't find it in the IPLs is because it is not supposed to be there. Not sure what it's from but the part is somehow familiar. My best guess is that someone used it to space the plunger/pump shaft back away from the adjuster ball......no idea why they might think this is necessary. You never now what people will come up with when a machine has been in service some 40 odd years. I would recommend not reinstalling it when you put the pump back together.

Finally finished putting my "new" Jonsered 361 together (also known by virtually every other brand name available at the time under various model numbers and different colors).

I bought this little fella off eBay just because it looked like a solid little trimmer, and I didn't have one. It was horrendously packed with dirt and sawdust, wouldn't start, starter pulley was destroyed, recoil spring was broken. Ended up doing a pretty complete tear down and rebuild (including a few things it probably didn't even need):

Bar
Chain
Starter pulley
Starter cord
Recoil spring
Spark plug
Carb kit
Gas tank / oil tank gasket
Fuel lines
Fuel filter
Piston ring
Crankshaft bearings
Crankshaft seals
Connecting rod bearings

For some weird reason the shaft for the starter pulley seemed too small? It let the pulley slop all over the place when you pulled it over and skip the pawls. I ended up taking a plastic bushing, cutting it to length, and boring it out to fit over the shaft to fill the gap. Worked fine after that. One of the flywheel cover screws was stuck and the head was broken off, so I had to drill it out and tap the hole.

Got a good day's work out of it, cutting up old beech logs that are over the hill for firewood but are in my way. Pulls pretty good for a featherweight.

jSL8TcN.jpg

OMG....what a toy! You'll HAVE to make a vid with good audio....lol.

Gosh Robin, I've never seen you buy anything like that...you rascal you!

$64.90 to ship to me, what are they hitting you with?

Kevin

$60.48 to me. I didn't really expect to win it.....as a matter of fact I placed the bid and left for 4 days at my camp on the island, no power, phone or internet. Got home yesterday to find I owned another 80....little spendy but ya gotta splurge once in a while. Just couldn't resist!!! We'll see what it's like when it arrives.

$60.48 to me. I didn't really expect to win it.....as a matter of fact I placed the bid and left for 4 days at my camp on the island, no power, phone or internet. Got home yesterday to find I owned another 80....little spendy but ya gotta splurge once in a while. Just couldn't resist!!! We'll see what it's like when it arrives.
Nice! Looking forward to hearing more about it when you get it.

The JB Weld portion would scare me a bit......not a fan of that particular epoxy. Sounds like a crack in the case bottom from the description.

Kevin
Looked like mag rot to me......pretty eaten away. But that doesn't concern me very much as I have 6-8 80/90 lower ends here so if it's an issue I might move everything over to another/nicer case/crank. In it's present condition it's not going to be run tank after tank......just a cookie cutter. May even port a 90 top end and use the good parts from this one to build a different saw entirely......just have to see once it arrives. Winter's coming will need projects to offset the darkness...LOL!!

Looked like mag rot to me......pretty eaten away. But that doesn't concern me very much as I have 6-8 80/90 lower ends here so if it's an issue I might move everything over to another/nicer case/crank. In it's present condition it's not going to be run tank after tank......just a cookie cutter. May even port a 90 top end and use the good parts from this one to build a different saw entirely......just have to see once it arrives. Winter's coming will need projects to offset the darkness...LOL!!

It's funny....in this area you can sit tools and saws right on inside concrete...right through the winter with sweating and everything.....never seen any damage. Back in MO if you did that, you were committing tool/saw suicide. Maybe it's climate...maybe a difference in concrete mix....dunno. Back in MO everything is limestone based.....here it's basalt.

Kevin

Yep we have limestone in our concrete mix here too. Plus salt air here on the coast and a rather new thing the researchers have recently discovered "Acid Fog" which comes from all the sulfer emitted from air pollution that makes its way here from the rust belt industries to the west and from the cities to the south along the eastern seaboard....prevailing winds land it all right here and then on into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Really can't leave a mag case saw anywhere damp for extended periods without problems.

I believe it....seen the damage in pics online......pretty incredible.

Usually I put something under the saws but one winter I forgot. No degradation whatsoever. We have a feed store here that sells small sections of those rubber horse mats. I really like those and I can work on my old knees with them too.

Well, acid rain has been around a long time....why not acid fog....lol.

Kevin

Cement doesn't seem to be a problem if it's dry and temp controlled......the cement floor in my shop has radiant heat and is above grade and I can leave a saw sitting here without problems but leave the same saw on a basement floor or other place where the cement can "sweat" during humidity and temp changes and it will start to dissolve pretty quickly.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. That winter I had the saws straight on the floor in an unheated garage, it sweated like crazy and I thought my saws were doomed. Not even a hint of corrosion.

Although I always thought poured concrete had to have a consistent composition across the country.....maybe not.

Kevin

I know they use high calcium content if the weather is near freezing or they need a fast set in a commercial application.

I worked as a carpenter’s helper in Utah one winter. We poured sidewalks and driveways with high calcium. That’s about all I remember except that carpenters in small towns do a lot more that just hammer nails....lol.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back