Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2094, so it would be the same thing. I would use a steel insert like EZ-Loc. Better than helicoil. The inserts are quite a bit bigger than the original thread and are tapped....but I don't don't know how much damage you have. They have thinwall and regular....the OD of the regular inserts are the same, but they give you didn't thread pitches for your convenience.

Mag is very soft and so whenever I tap into it, I do everything by hand....no drill.

Kevin
Great insight here. Now I have to figure out what size the "internal" side of the bar stud is. I can find that part number easy enough but to find the actual thread spec is another thing. I'll have to clean up the bar studs i have and find a thread tool. I don't have much for metric dyes to check. I always though it was silly to have a machinist screw thread checker... now i regret not having one. I'll have to go to the hardware store and check maybe.

Scott...it didn't take me long, but I found an original drum & bearing for my 111S on Ebay. So they're out there still and it came with a bearing and a rim sprocket... a complete kit, still in the Oregon box. Weird that the spur drive drum takes a differnt bearing.

Doubtful Oregon will be able to help. Do you want me to measure my bearing for you?

Kevin
Kevin -

Yeah, I was surprised too, but it's definitely different. I thought about opening up the sprocket a bit so I could use a good bearing, but I'm going to take a closer look at my marginal bearing first. It still has all the needles, so I suspect I can clean it up to where it's serviceable.

Got a reply from Oregon, but it was just to say, "we can't help."

Thanks

Scott

Great insight here. Now I have to figure out what size the "internal" side of the bar stud is. I can find that part number easy enough but to find the actual thread spec is another thing. I'll have to clean up the bar studs i have and find a thread tool. I don't have much for metric dyes to check. I always though it was silly to have a machinist screw thread checker... now i regret not having one. I'll have to go to the hardware store and check maybe.
Yeah, that's the piece I don't know without taking one of mine out....and I really don't want to do that with good studs in place. However, if they are the same thread size as the older Jonsereds...the part that screws into the saw....I can tell ya that because I have a few spares.

Kevin

I measured the stud last night. Now i'm more confused. Wouldn't the stock bar stud be metric? That or someone replaced this one with something. Here's what I have for 2095 stud dimensions.
inner stud (to case) is 0.375" (9.525mm) Outside thread diameter; thread depth of.75" (19.05mm) lg.
outer bar stud (to cover) is 0.3" (7.62 mm)
Overall length is 2.05" (52.07mm)

I'm thinking I can get away with an e-z lok insert because the biggest diameter in the case is .46" hole and the 3/8" insert requires a 31/64" (.484375") drill hole for a 9/16" tap.

Now I just need to find a suitable replacement. since the stock 2095 bolts might be hard to come across.

I measured the stud last night. Now i'm more confused. Wouldn't the stock bar stud be metric? That or someone replaced this one with something. Here's what I have for 2095 stud dimensions.
inner stud (to case) is 0.375" (9.525mm) Outside thread diameter; thread depth of.75" (19.05mm) lg.
outer bar stud (to cover) is 0.3" (7.62 mm)
Overall length is 2.05" (52.07mm)

I'm thinking I can get away with an e-z lok insert because the biggest diameter in the case is .46" hole and the 3/8" insert requires a 31/64" (.484375") drill hole for a 9/16" tap.

Now I just need to find a suitable replacement. since the stock 2095 bolts might be hard to come across.
Goinwheelin, an AS member, made available to us flywheel pullers and bar studs from a machine shop where he works. You might talk to him about making some bar studs if you can't find them.

Kevin

Goinwheelin, an AS member, made available to us flywheel pullers and bar studs from a machine shop where he works. You might talk to him about making some bar studs if you can't find them.

Kevin
He does an excellent job too. If you go that route you might want to him to make a set that necks the outer part of the stud to accept the standard Husky Large mount bars. The old bars with10mm slots are getting harder and harder to come by. Jonsereds actually made these special, replacement studs for the 910 years ago .....very rare and generally pricy to buy.

I grabbed an 820 that was in pretty good condition, except for a gummy gas tank and some fuel lines and filter that needed replacement, as well as a busted starter pulley. I thought I was incredibly lucky when I noticed that Greek fellow on ebay had some pulleys, and it only took 3 weeks to arrive! Unfortunately, it came in a Hyway bag and the metal catch portion is too short to reach the starter pawls... A few more hours of web searching and all I can find are ones that appear to be the same. Before I start thinking about any redneck repairs, or heading to the machinist, I figure I'd ask if anyone on here has any leads on where I could grab a replacement for 503-102401. Or if they've noticed any others (besides the 830/920/930 which I'm also running out of luck on) that fit this model.

Well I got the bar studs sorted out. I used the originals after buying a couple dyes and a new tap. What I did get get some e-z lok threaded inserts. I drilled the case out to get rid of all the jb weld someone had in there. Then tapped it to 9/16-12. Then treaded the insert in with red loktite and then threaded the m10 bar stud in. Worked pretty well.

Attachments

• FE7CA60F-C576-4D7D-8960-09F567C7CCF1.jpeg
    FE7CA60F-C576-4D7D-8960-09F567C7CCF1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 7F0DEC4B-8A87-4335-811F-5A40A2A7F2C9.jpeg
    7F0DEC4B-8A87-4335-811F-5A40A2A7F2C9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 9B5F7E33-7D2C-44CF-97D9-8963947FFFF9.jpeg
    9B5F7E33-7D2C-44CF-97D9-8963947FFFF9.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
Buckin' got a 920! Fun show for the J-red crowd to watch:

I watched that last night. I'd like to know where these NOS 30 plus year old saws come from? Are some people just hording them in original boxes?
Truly incredible seeing that saw brand spanking new (for the most part).

I watched that last night. I'd like to know where these NOS 30 plus year old saws come from? Are some people just hording them in original boxes?
Back not that many yrs ago when 'collecting' chainsaws got popular, it wasn't uncommon to find a big cc saw of any marque that was bought just to fell & buck one big tree. Or the owner warrior got grandiose ideas that he needed a big cc saw. And so occasionally, these saws would turn up for sale. So they're out there.....but less and less.

Cool provenance....too bad we don't hear more. My guess is that originally when that oiler got plugged, the owner went no further with it. It's never fully established if the owner stopped using it because the oiler line got plugged or it was NOS. In any event, it's a gorgeous almost new saw. Not a full-wrap and Buckin' certainly doesn't know his way around J'reds....lol. How lucky to have the Walker shop just down the road.

Kevin

Back not that many yrs ago when 'collecting' chainsaws got popular, it wasn't uncommon to find a big cc saw of any marque that was bought just to fell & buck one big tree. Or the owner warrior got grandiose ideas that he needed a big cc saw. And so occasionally, these saws would turn up for sale. So they're out there.....but less and less.

Cool provenance....too bad we don't hear more. My guess is that originally when that oiler got plugged, the owner went no further with it. It's never fully established if the owner stopped using it because the oiler line got plugged or it was NOS. In any event, it's a gorgeous almost new saw. Not a full-wrap and Buckin' certainly doesn't know his way around J'reds....lol. How lucky to have the Walker shop just down the road.

Kevin
Yep they're out there....some in collections and others collecting dust in back rooms or warehouses. I know of one 111S that's never has gas in it. I even got to touch it !!!! LOL!!!

I couldn't do it....but at this point in the game, I think all NOS big cc finds should stay that way, given their scarcity.

Just don't send them my way if you want them to remain NOS.....lol!

Back in the 70's I heard of 'Walkerized' saws. They were more legend than reality. I never knew anyone that had one, but it's easy to assume that some guys got into production saw mods like woods porting back then.....and that's what Walker did. No Internet then, everything was done with letters or very expensive LD calls. If you couldn't read about it in a trade magazine, or know someone at a saw shop doing it, then it was out of your sphere of knowledge. Cool that the Walker son has taken the torch......

Kevin

I couldn't do it....but at this point in the game, I think all NOS big cc finds should stay that way, given their scarcity.

Just don't send them my way if you want them to remain NOS.....lol!

Back in the 70's I heard of 'Walkerized' saws. They were more legend than reality. I never knew anyone that had one, but it's easy to assume that some guys got into production saw mods like woods porting back then.....and that's what Walker did. No Internet then, everything was done with letters or very expensive LD calls. If you couldn't read about it in a trade magazine, or know someone at a saw shop doing it, then it was out of your sphere of knowledge. Cool that the Walker son has taken the torch......

Kevin
I ran a "Walkerized 394XP at a GTG a few years back......it was loud but didn't think cut it exceptional....it was well used and perhaps tired though....

I ran a "Walkerized 394XP at a GTG a few years back......it was loud but didn't think cut it exceptional....it was well used and perhaps tired though....
Hard to say....but Walker has always mostly been about woods porting for everyday production saws.

If I lived closer to Vancouver Island, I'd give Walker a shot to port a few saws.....mostly because of the name and I'm curious. The orignal Walker had the first saw shop in the PNW to offer the public woods ported saws. If someone else was doing it, it was on a much smaller scale and I never heard of them.

Kevin

I think @Robin Wood was offering a n.o.s. 920 a few months back, or a similar n.o.s. J-red.

Back