Jony's in the house!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just bringing that up for a little information on them. I've heard of more of them losing cranks early like that out west when they get ran 5-6 days a week and 2.5-3 gallons a day. I know the best running one I've ever ran was only turning 13k.

A 395 might strip every bolt on it but the crank will hold up and the oiler will sling oil like nothing else.:laugh:

That was one of 7 that I dropped a week ago last Saturday. There was an Oak that was quite a bit bigger.

[video=youtube;CTI8v5qHpik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTI8v5qHpik&feature=share&list=UUozS9yJ1nl6HXekd0tV3tRg[/video]

This was the most dangerous video of tree felling that I have watched in a long time. I may have to forward the link to the local high school vocational forestry program for what not to do.

I was just bringing that up for a little information on them. I've heard of more of them losing cranks early like that out west when they get ran 5-6 days a week and 2.5-3 gallons a day. I know the best running one I've ever ran was only turning 13k.

A 395 might strip every bolt on it but the crank will hold up and the oiler will sling oil like nothing else.:laugh:

I think allot depends on how it's tuned and ran, I've had fallers out here personally tell me that you can lean husky's out as much as you want. So if you got it tuned to the ragged edge, and got the throttle pinned limbing, I don't blame the crank giving up.

If you buy and sell enough saws, she'll give up trying to keep track, lol.

"MAN" I just figured it out,--- "You buy and sell saws" I only buy..---Now I have my cad figured!!:hmm3grin2orange:
Now i have to work on selling some saws, I do give some away but only the poulan's --- love that saw, If I owned it my 10 acres
would be a parking lot.

The numbers I was looking at the most were the transfers. The intake won't really hurt anything my being a little too long but if the transfers are too high on a quad port saw like the 390 they start going backward in power IMHO.

This 2188 I just finished is at 99, 122, 78. With 6 degrees of advance and 205psi. Torque out the ass.

pictures or it idnt happen........ on second thought- since it's you....... video or it didnt happen:clap:

She's back together and running great. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no wood here to run it in. After warming it up good, it would hit 14,100, but would be best tuned to 13,600-13,800. I then advanced the ignition 6°. That bought me another 300 RPMs. I saw it hit 14,400. It 4-strokes nicely at 14,000. I'll have to see where it ends up once I get it in some big wood.

Compression is now 198 after raising the exhaust, which ended up at 100° exactly. The transfers are staggered at about 119-121. The intake is at exactly 85.

This was the most dangerous video of tree felling that I have watched in a long time. I may have to forward the link to the local high school vocational forestry program for what not to do.

Criticism without valuable input is just that, criticism. Care to share what was done wrong and how it should have been done? I appreciate constructive criticism.

She's back together and running great. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no wood here to run it in. After warming it up good, it would hit 14,100, but would be best tuned to 13,600-13,800. I then advanced the ignition 6°. That bought me another 300 RPMs. I saw it hit 14,400. It 4-strokes nicely at 14,000. I'll have to see where it ends up once I get it in some big wood.

Compression is now 198 after raising the exhaust, which ended up at 100° exactly. The transfers are staggered at about 119-121. The intake is at exactly 85.

That's gonna be a runner.

It very well may end up well below 14K for a work tune. When building a saw, I like to see how I might tune it for cutting 10" Poplar cants (read, leaner tune), and thena significantly richer tune for work. When using as saw for straigth up work, I want it rich enough that I don't have to worry about it. The 390 was tuned nicely in the vids I did a couple weeks ago, but I don't even know what it was tuned to. All I cared about was that it always had a little 4-stroke when I let up in the cut.

I value everyones input, even when I might go a little different direction. It helps build a set of checks and balances and helps you think it out better.

Criticism without valuable input is just that, criticism. Care to share what was done wrong and how it should have been done? I appreciate constructive criticism.

Just watched the vid with an eye toward the same. I can offer these bits of advice. First -- I know you've heard this from me before -- LOOK UP! I know you know where the tree's gonna go, but you don't always know what's gonna bonk you from above. Good on ya for wearing a helmet but dammit, LOOK UP! You need that 3-D knowledge. Second -- as soon as you are more than bar width in, slap two wedges in. Snug one up against setback, and let the other hang loose as a bobber. It'll tell you plenty. I learned that trick from one of the best (you know who you are). Third -- I like that walk-back-around trick to score a line for reference. I've always done it from where I want to finish to where I want to start; seeing you do it in the reverse order tells me that I can save a trip around the stump. A line is just a line. Thanks for that.

As far as "dangerous"? This is a very controlled and well-planned fall. I could easily find dozens of examples of bad falling on YouTube. This isn't one of them. Good work, Brad.

It very well may end up well below 14K for a work tune. When building a saw, I like to see how I might tune it for cutting 10" Poplar cants (read, leaner tune), and thena significantly richer tune for work. When using as saw for straigth up work, I want it rich enough that I don't have to worry about it. The 390 was tuned nicely in the vids I did a couple weeks ago, but I don't even know what it was tuned to. All I cared about was that it always had a little 4-stroke when I let up in the cut.

I value everyones input, even when I might go a little different direction. It helps build a set of checks and balances and helps you think it out better.

I feel the same way Brad. A lot of guys on here might take our back and forth as something other than what it is........two guys sharing info gained from our experiences. :msp_thumbup:

I hope to see at least 14K @ WOT, and hopefully 12K in the cut.

I'm following ya on the 12k in wood, but u lost me at 14K out of wood...??

If it turns 12K out of wood, and 12k in wood, that's more of an achievement to me than 2k lost...:dunno:

I'm anxious to see it run though. :)

Very nice randy. That's got to be the best looking 90 cc saw out there.

Back