Inspiration for my new MS661R C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random question, does burnt wood dull a chain like dirt or does it just buzz through it like clean wood since it doesn't have the grit and rocks like dirt? Not a lot of forest fires in Nebraska.

Random question, does burnt wood dull a chain like dirt or does it just buzz through it like clean wood since it doesn't have the grit and rocks like dirt? Not a lot of forest fires in Nebraska.
Guess it depends on if the wood has been fire hardened, and to what extent. Most of the burnt stuff I've cut has been great wood under the bark.

Spectre you got anymore shots or videos with the 661R?

Not yet. Been doing very little cutting around the house, and nothing that "needs" the 661. Finally cleared the ice from the driveway yesterday (about 4" thick on gravel drive, gets a patch about 40 yards long that doesn't thaw out on its own 'til May) and got my car out today for the first time since the first week in December. (Nice because it get 2x the mileage as our 2 most "fuel efficient" trucks.) I'm right at 7000', snowed all day today, but nothing stuck because it was too warm. My buddy's property where the big 'uns are is somewhere between 9500-9800' and 10 miles from the nearest paved road. Depending on our warming trends and melt this year, it may be April or later before we can get back up there. I do plan to see about getting more pix and some video once I'm cutting again with it. Believe me, I am chomping at the bit!

I just wished I had enough big'uns to justify picking one up, the 441 C-MQ which I completed the full R conversion to will handle anything we have on Dad's farm, so I will just have to enjoy others pics and videos using their 661.

I'm feeling the need for something to span the gap between my 32" 661R and the 20" 362. I want an M-tronic saw, but can't bring myself to really like the 441. The 461 isn't M-tronic, so I guess I'll be waiting for the 462R C-M to be released. I'll probably pick up a 241 soon (for the Wife, of course) to satiate my CAD for a bit...but dang it's pricey!

I just got a 362 with 20" bar last month myself it cuts like a dream here is what I did with it.
Here is my first outing with it, old farmer around here I help him out as much as my back will let me but this was posted on my site on Jan 31 2015.
Okay I cut with the MS362 first cut was a Black Walnut right at 19" in diameter that fell two days ago during the 40 to 50mph winds we had here, I fired up the saw and let it idle for right at 5 minutes, first 30 seconds when it was idling had light blue smoke popping out the muffler, then it was clear warm exhaust.
Right before getting into the wood I eased it up to 3/4 throttle and just dropped it into the wood letting it eat on it's own, well half way through the first cut it bogged down pretty good for roughly 3 to 5 seconds, then it just took off like a cat with it's tail on fire.
Second cut same thing, right at 3/4 throttle 18" up from the first cut, dropped it into the wood and at the end of the cut it bogged down just for a split second and took right off again.
Third cut 18" up which the trunk is getting little smaller on each cut it went through it like a knife in butter until I was done cutting the tree which was 13 cuts with that saw.
I turned it off and went to the 291 and tore the top up like it was paper mache, after I bucked everything the farmer and our helper loaded the wood in the bobcat bucket then down the hill and into the truck.
After they returned we scoped out the next three trees were some good sized cedars that had fell and was leaning into other trees so the farmer drug them down with the bobcat and chain,I cleaned the tops with the 291 then grabbed the 362 to get to work which it had been sitting there for over 1.5hrs at 39 degrees, I just pulled the rope and bam it was running, no choke, no spitting or sputtering, it was running. I let it idle for two minutes checking the exhaust and it was toasty so I went to work, that saw never even strained or grunted on any of the cedars with the biggest base was roughly 14" to 15" in diameter and smallest one started out at looked like 12". Cedars are bucked truck is full, bobcat is full, another 1.5 bucket full lying bucked and ready to load so I drove his truck and his helper to his house while the helper stacked the wood I was digging out a tarp to cover his wood, wood all gathered with two truck loads to his house, stacked, ready for them two to take the wood splitter to.
Back to the farm and up on the hill, 362 been sitting there this time more than 2 hours I grabbed it pulled the rope and it starts with no hesitation and running like a Stihl, this is the first for me with any chainsaws starting so easily after sitting for more than 2 hours in temperatures in the 30's and I am thinking and contributing this to the M-Tronic system in them?? So next victim is a locust tree dead and the 20" bar was barely long enough to get through the other side. I dropped it like it was nothing with the 362, that saw ran strong and exact same way from the time it touched the tree until I let off the trigger when the tree was going down and I was walking away as fast as my broke down arse would move. Bucked the tree with no issues, made the cuts with the 362 and moved to what little top there was with the 291.
Before leaving the hill he pointed out three good sized ash trees that looked like the beetle had killed and I checked two of them by laying the saw on them and the 20" bar will not go through those trees on one cut so I figured oh boy time to test and do a partial break in on the 441.
really.gif

Impression and today's experience with the Stihl MS362:
The first cuts I did with the saw was very gentle and easy, but after I started it the second time the saw felt stronger, then when I used it for the third time it felt much stronger from the first cut that was made with it. The saw feels to have endless power and I am surprised how this smaller engine has more power than my 391 did.
The oiler set to factory settings oiled the 20" bar perfectly with plenty of oil on the chain.

Edit to add: I am looking forward to get a couple more tanks through the 362 and see if it is as strong as everyone says it is.

If I can sell my 291 I am going to pick up the 261 to replace it that way I am all three Pro saws and 3/8" chains.

Did you now I was going to put the dual spikes and chain catch on mine, but alas it won't fit in the case if I do. :(

Everybody works differently. We buck most all our wood off an excavator. Usually 2 guys going to town from each side. A few years ago we had some 24 inch oak we were tearing through with 2 084s running 10 pin sprockets.
Same way we do it. 3+cords an hour if all goes right.

I'm feeling the need for something to span the gap between my 32" 661R and the 20" 362. I want an M-tronic saw, but can't bring myself to really like the 441. The 461 isn't M-tronic, so I guess I'll be waiting for the 462R C-M to be released. I'll probably pick up a 241 soon (for the Wife, of course) to satiate my CAD for a bit...but dang it's pricey!
A ported 441 is damn nice :D

Latest posts

Back