Inspiration for my new MS661R C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is good RPMs in the cut, I'm sure that saw is a beast, but sounds like a civilized beast!

Yeah, but I would sure hate to tangle with it, civilized or not. Certainly good to remember to wear the chaps and not become complacent about safety, just because it is well behaved. One slip up and I'm sure it would bite ya pretty dead, pretty quickly...

So, I messed around with the 7T and 8T rims, about 3/4 tank each. Couldn't really tell much difference between the two at this point.

Help educate me. Here's my thinking, based on the assumption that a bigger rim will provide higher chain speed. I'm looking at it from the perspective of bicycle gears. Chain sprocket is bigger in front, gear sprocket is smaller in the back. Assume that you are running a single chain sprocket, say a 53T with multiple gears in the back, for simplicity sake, lets call it a 3 speed, with a 18T, 14T, and a 12T gear. As the rear gear T count gets smaller, you are actually going to a bigger gear, ie a 53x18 is the lowest gear and the 53x12 is the highest. My bar has an 11 tooth sprocket, with the 8T, wouldn't it be a smaller, lower gear that is easier to turn than the 7T? Am I looking at this wrong?

So, I messed around with the 7T and 8T rims, about 3/4 tank each. Couldn't really tell much difference between the two at this point.

Help educate me. Here's my thinking, based on the assumption that a bigger rim will provide higher chain speed. I'm looking at it from the perspective of bicycle gears. Chain sprocket is bigger in front, gear sprocket is smaller in the back. Assume that you are running a single chain sprocket, say a 53T with multiple gears in the back, for simplicity sake, lets call it a 3 speed, with a 18T, 14T, and a 12T gear. As the rear gear T count gets smaller, you are actually going to a bigger gear, ie a 53x18 is the lowest gear and the 53x12 is the highest. My bar has an 11 tooth sprocket, with the 8T, wouldn't it be a smaller, lower gear that is easier to turn than the 7T? Am I looking at this wrong?

Your just thinkin too hard ..

No, the bar sprocket is not involved in the leverage, it is just the difference between a 7 pin & 8 pin.

On a bike, the rear sprocket drives the wheel, so it matters. On the saw, the chain does the work, so the bar nose is just like an idler pulley.

And, FYI, the high gear on my bike is 53/11!

Low gear is 39/28. 11 speed cog in the rear ... gives me more range.

My road bike is set up 42/53 with a straight block 7 speed in the rear. 11T also.

The rim sprocket drives the chain on the saw, so this is analogous to the chain sprocket on a bicycle? Bigger rim is like a bigger chain sprocket?

Oh, and I handled a 461R in a shop today. It's nice, but just doesn't seem to be the same quality of the 661R. Felt MUCH lighter and smaller, and I realize that the 25" bar makes a big difference when compared to the 32", but PHO, weight difference is only supposed to be what? Like a pound? The 661 is better thought out and constructed, I thought. I definitely will wait until a C-M version comes out. If it never does, well, I've got my 661...

Keeping the bicycle analogy for second: Think of your nose sprocket as being more like one of the derailleur sprockets.
It's mainly there to help carry the chain along its journey.

as for the clutch/drive sprocket, try thinking like the rear tires on a truck or a tractor
(2 wheel drive in this example) While keeping everything else the same,
put a smaller set of tires on the drive axle and think of the speed you might travel at.

Now imagine a set of tires about a foot taller.
You'll get more ground speed, but it's gonna bog a lot easier when you start to pull a load.

Back