Inspiration for my new MS661R C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectre468

ArboristSiteNoob
Reaction score
Bear with me everyone. I'm learning how to get images up.

This year I decided that I needed to get my saws up to snuff, replace some older saws and be able to do some serious cutting. Last spring I invested in several new saws, all Stihls. In order of purchase, I bought a MS362 C-M, followed the next week by a MS261 C-M, and the next week I got a MS271. I was pretty happy with these saws, which replaced my MS360, which was toast, an 029 Super that was pushing 16 years and on its last legs, and a MS390, that is perfectly fine. I sold off the 360, rebuilt the 029 into a MS290/029 hybrid with a new crankcase and engine assembly/carb, flipped a low hour MS290 that I had about $125 in to for 3 times the money, and kept the MS390.

I managed to do quite a bit of cutting with all of the saws. Have a family member who bought a property for his business that had a bunch of Chinese Elms and a few big Cottonwoods up against the building, and I cleared them all out. I have a buddy who bought a small chunk of mountain property several years ago that ended up burned over when a forest fire ripped through there a couple of years ago. He asked if I would help him clear it out since he has little cutting experience and not much equipment. I told him I'd glad come and cut. Well, his entire property, which is undeveloped, all burned. Every single tree was dead standing. He said he several big trees that he wasn't going to be able to even attempt. When my Wife and I arrived at the property, the destruction was evident, and we knew were would be in it for the long haul to help him get the land cleared so he can replant. I decided to tackle one of the many large Ponderosa Pines. It came in at roughly 110', with a base circumference greater than 12'. I used the MS362 C-M on it. The saw performed admirably, cut beautifully and without hesitation. It wears a 20" bar and I was running RS chain. It took quite a long while to cut and I had to use quite a few wedges, but I was able to drop it safely. Bucking the base was great fun with the MS362, but again, with that 20" bar, the thought kept running through my mind, I really need a bigger saw. My Wife agreed, saying that she thought it would be a lot safer to have a proper felling saw for felling bigger trees. ( I am so blessed to have such a great partner. I thank the Lord for her every day!)

No offense meant, but the MS441, even in the C-M version has never appealed to me. Can't quite put my finger on it. Not sure if its the balance of the saw, but it just doesn't feel "right" to me. No doubt that it is a great saw, but it just isn't for me. I really like the MS461, but really wanted the saw to be M-tronic. I couldn't get a straight answer from any dealer or Stihl about plans/timeframes for an M-tronic version of the 461. I got answers anywhere from, should be out Q1 '15 to late '16, to "they'll never make that saw M-tronic because its the base for the rescue saw". (WTF!?! All the more reason for it to be M-tronic in my opinion!)

I had dreams of the MS 661 C-M, but, again, couldn't get a firm answer as to re-release date, or even a ballpark price. I started seeing the posts on here about the 661 being available in Canada, then select areas in the US started getting them. Got 3 dealers to look up a price, initially said no listing in the system, then a few weeks later were able to find it and get me a price, but were not able to place an order for the saw.

The Friday after Thanksgiving, I got a hold of my dealer and he told me it showed in the system, he could order it and it would ship Monday and arrive Wednesday. Only problem, he said, was that it was only showing the R version with the wrap handle, oversized clutch cover and felling dawgs. I told him that this was not a problem since that was the configuration I wanted. He placed the order and I brought it home Wednesday. First one sold in NM, he says, and possibly the first in the SW region. I haven't been able to put it into wood yet, but plan to do so Tuesday. I will take some pix and post them up then.

Anyway, this is the tree that lead to my most recent saw purchase, the MS661 R C-M! That's me at the bottom right at the base of the trunk. And I now have a picture up of the 362 that dropped that bad boy.

IMAG0332.jpg IMAG0131.jpg

I want to see a video of you & your new saw dropping that tree.

I do too. I worked on many large fires in New Mexico in the 90's when I was with the U.S. Forest Service including the 16,000-acre "Dome" fire near Los Alamos in 1996. People don't realize but New Mexico has some big timber, especially in the canyons between the plateaus. We cut some burning trees there that were 50"+ on the stump.

I do too. I worked on many large fires in New Mexico in the 90's when I was with the U.S. Forest Service including the 16,000-acre "Dome" fire near Los Alamos in 1996. People don't realize but New Mexico has some big timber, especially in the canyons between the plateaus. We cut some burning trees there that were 50"+ on the stump.
Yeah there are plenty of monsters in NM. Not like some other places, but we do have big timber in spots. My buddy's land burned in the Cerro Grande fire. It was bad, but the Dome fire was hellacious.

IMAG0045.jpg IMAG0046.jpg IMAG0047.jpg IMAG0048.jpg Comparison of the HD2 filters. 661 on left. 362 on the right. Apparently, the 661 and 461 filters do not interchange. I really prefer the "twist-lock" design of the smaller HD2. The 661 filter is a press fit, but then gets locked down once the cover is in place. I noticed that there seems to be lots more filtrate trapped in the 661 than the smaller HD2. I think it is the difference in the pre-separation/filtration styles of the two systems.

The 661 also sucks in a lot more air. Very nice looking saw, U will never feel like U don't have a big enough saw for the job!

So how does it feel? How noticeable is the wt? I'm sure U will enjoy that Beast! That is a big step up from UR 362!

Dont forget the 661 requires ALOT more air to move through it compared to the 362, but l agree and really like the ms261/362 filter setup. lts perhaps the best design and quality availible on a stock saw under 60cc's. That wood in the pics looks like it would mill up quite nicely being so straight and clean but that is not always the easiest way of processing timber. Thanks for sharing and your updated fleet sounds like you have prettymuch all bases covered. A top handle or small 30/40cc light limbing saw should be in yiur sights. The 241cm or ms201 rear handle come to mind.

Dont forget the 661 requires ALOT more air to move through it compared to the 362, but l agree and really like the ms261/362 filter setup. lts perhaps the best design and quality availible on a stock saw under 60cc's. That wood in the pics looks like it would mill up quite nicely being so straight and clean but that is not always the easiest way of processing timber. Thanks for sharing and your updated fleet sounds like you have prettymuch all bases covered. A top handle or small 30/40cc light limbing saw should be in yiur sights. The 241cm or ms201 rear handle come to mind.
I'm already plotting, I mean planning, my next purchase. It'll be next year, but I think I need a 461R. Probably get rid of the 290 and 390. Now, if I off load the 180 and 210, I may just get the 241. My wife can use it and the 261 as her 2 saw plan. ;)

The 661 also sucks in a lot more air. Very nice looking saw, U will never feel like U don't have a big enough saw for the job!

So how does it feel? How noticeable is the wt? I'm sure U will enjoy that Beast! That is a big step up from UR 362!

You are right, Mike. This will be the biggest saw I get. The 880 is just too much for me, plus, I don't think I'll be dropping any Sequoias or Sitka Spruce anytime soon. (!?!)

So, I got not quite 2 tanks through it today. The smoothness and power are truly impressive. This is the biggest saw I've ever owned. It is really a beast. I would liken it to a well trained draft horse in that it has tremendous power, but is easily controlled and will do the work you ask of it and come back for more. As for the weight, it's probably over 20 pounds with the 32" bar and full fluids. Walking with it, you do feel the weight. Working with it, you don't notice it at all. It is so well balanced with that bar and cuts so efficiently that it is just great. Oh, I had the oiler maxed out without punching the limiter, and it seemed to be just right. I can see the need, under real world conditions, to increase the flow.

I'm so proud of myself! I actually remembered to get the tach on it! According to my EDT-7, the idle is right at about 2700 rpm. Max speed clocked in at 12,760 rpm, which I thought was a bit slow, but it's still brand spanking new. What got me, however, was the tach in the cut. It stayed in the range of 9800-10,400 rpm under full load. Isn't that right where this guy makes peak power?

Those pro saws R addicting, I told U they would be! U may want to wait till the 462 M-Tronic comes out. Don't know when, but I'm sure it will come.
Yes, I would want the M-tronic version for sure. That's why I got the 661 now, kinda wait and see if the 462 ever materializes.

You were right. They are like Doritos. Nobody can eat just one! :surprised3:

i am wanting to see the numbers on that tach after 6-10 tanks .....im thinking they will only go up !!!!! BTW congrats on the saw ! my boss is selling one of his ms660's this week to make room for the ms661r he just ordered today .....

Latest posts

Back