Jugheads totally Anal and pre-apocalyptic chain and file storage thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jughead500

Sasquatch
Reaction score
Ok i got bored yesterday.was getting tired of all of the stihl chain boxes floating around in my truck cab and bed.they would get mashed and the chains would be hanging out of the packs getting dirty.had a brain fart the other day on how to keep them clean,organized and protected.not only the chains themselves but my truck and everything else in it and i absolutely hate trying to flip those loops out of chains.being a handy man it got the gears grinding.kind of an expensive project but it kept my mind occupied for a while.plus it keeps me busy wondering on how to improve on it.right now this is just a basic container.problem is if i just put all my chains in they are going to get wadded up tangled up and full of loops.gonna work on the organization part next.believe i'll just use a piece of all thread thru the top horizontally just under the cap.the all thread will let me fix a removable handle to carry it by.may possibly switch the all thread for a 1/2" hitch pin of some sort.originally went thru mcmaster-carr but it got really expensive fast.lol20150131_170027.jpg 20150131_171110.jpg

Done the same for loose file storage.just as an added measure to keep them from rusting just added a couple of dessicant cylinders from my excedrine Bottles.stuffed blue shop towels on top to add space since the tube is just over 12" and the files are 8". Gonna work on finding some dense foam to add top and bottom to poke the files thru to keep them from rubbing together.

Next im going to work on a 3" storage container for my files already in the guides and handles, my Timberline sharpener and raker files.gonna play with the 4" and 2" first.

Try putting a a threaded top on the chain holder and cut 2 slots for the chain holder pin to drop into and get locked down buy the threaded cap . A steel pin with washers welded on the side so it won't slide through would work nice . Then you can just unscrew the cap and slide out all the chains on the pin for easy selection and easy put away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch out for rust.

I did the same thing with smaller pvc for long wood bits and somehow they took on moisture and rusted.

Watch out for rust.

I did the same thing with smaller pvc for long wood bits and somehow they took on moisture and rusted.
I think if you left the bottom open on the chains it would keep the rust away

Hey knobby that was going to be next.was working on a rubber grommet on each side for sealing against moisture.more dessicant packs will be used on the bottom of this one like the file holder to combat rust.kind of got the idea from welding rod holders to keepthem from drawing moisture.

I throw my files in the pass side door panel still in the package . I use the one out of the package and when it's shot I toss it in the bed of the truck . I only use one size file [emoji6]

This doesnt show it but still have plenty of room for 70 dl chains for the echo and mcculloch and 3/8 lp for the pole saws and the 84dl for the 24" on the pm 1000.have everything in 3 tubes to take care of back up chains,sharpening chains,dressing bars and back up files.this is just for work and emergency situations as far as blizzards and tornadoes in which we have been lucky enough to get in these parts for the past 20 some years

I put each file in a straw.
I was going to say that. Having all of your hard, brittle files banging against each other is a quick way to break off all of the sharp edges. Soda straws from McDonald's, or a box from the grocery store is an easy way to protect them. You can even color code them by size if you want to be really anal.

Philbert

I miss having a gun rack in my truck . They are perfect to hang you chains and hardhat on . I can't say I would be upset if my non sliding rear window got smashed and a sliding window that holds my gun racks got installed in its place

Other Ideas

I like your designs Jughead. Just wanted to share some links to similar threads, to show what others have done - some photos have been lost, but lots of good ideas still in the comments.

I like the telescoping containers that Home Depot chains come in, but not the chains. Looked at trying to buy just those containers from a packaging vendor, but the minimums were too high - somebody else did and tried to sell them on the Trading Post a few years back.

Zip-lock bags are quite popular, as are old DVD and VHS tape boxes, along with Tupperware and similar deli/takeout containers. A few guys dedicated an old tool box, or made fancy boxes with bungie cord to hold their loops under tension! If you save and re-use your packages from STIHL or Oregon, they fit nicely into an old ammo box.

One group I work with, we fold the chains into a small bundle, and zip-tie them with a tag identifying which saws they fit. Used chains get thrown into a sharpen/repair box.

Philbert

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-storage.186091/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/how-do-you-store-your-chains.137092/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-storage.171234/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-case-storage.125133/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-buddies-good-news-and-bad.116231/

Other Ideas

I like your designs Jughead. Just wanted to share some links to similar threads, to show what others have done - some photos have been lost, but lots of good ideas still in the comments.

I like the telescoping containers that Home Depot chains come in, but not the chains. Looked at trying to buy those, but the minimums were too high. Zip-lock bags are quite popular, as are old DVD and VHS tape containers, along with Tupperware and similar deli/takeout containers. A few guys dedicated an old tool box, or made fancy boxes with bungie cord to hold their loops under tension!
Philbert
I like the idea of an oiled chain in a ziplock bag. Then label the bag. This all fits in a 14 gallon tote.

Latest posts

Back