Lighting Protocal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigger companies might have written protocols that may or may not be followed. I think Davey tree in my area officially says to wait 30 after the last lightning strike before resuming work. Whether this is repected is more likely due to how hard its raining.
Smaller companies will likely say to use common sense.

I knew 2 guys who were working when a storm was rolling in. They were hit by what they thought was the first stike of the storm. Guy in the bucket had mild burns on his upper body. Guy feeding the chippers had severe burns/damage to his legs.

In my opinion most people I know dont treat lightning with enough respect.

Pack it up NOW of lightning is seen. Pack up quick if we hear thunder...but watch the radar. Resume work 20 min after last seen bolts...of course watching the radar.

I live and work in New Mexico.
I am disappointed in ATH's reply.
If an employee gets hit, is that a WC injury? By the way I have seen people effected by lighting 300 feet from a strike.

I live and work in New Mexico.
I am disappointed in ATH's reply.
If an employee gets hit, is that a WC injury? By the way I have seen people effected by lighting 300 feet from a strike.
Why? If you hear thunder in the distance, pack it up. You may or may not see a strike but if you see one, pack up NOW. Maybe it's different in NM than in Ohio? What do you recommend?

Working with lighting, I leave it up to the Crew. I usually disagree. Everyone gets paid for a full day-so it is not Party Time...……………………………………...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...……………....

I watch the radar to see how close it is. As soon as it moves away it's game on, also depends on the job and how close to being finished.

Latest posts

Back