• ArboristSite has decided that due to the abusive interactions users are having with each other in the political forum, we will no longer be providing a place to talk politics on this forum. Any political posts will be deleted once discovered or reported to us. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Line trimmers

tbarber55

tbarber55

ArboristSite Lurker
Website
Visit site
What kind am I better off getting a inexpenive Husky or Sthil ?
It won't get used much, but the Craftsman and McCulluch trimmers that I have owned didn't last long.
Tom

Last edited:
John in MA

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Nearly all the lawn guys around here use Echos, Shindaiwas, or old RedMaxes. Lots of Jap tool love. In other places I've been, better Stihls or Huskies were used.

Grateful11

Grateful11

ArboristSite Operative
Get a Shindaiwa. I let mine set for 4 or 5 months and I thought I ran it dry last fall but I didn't. It started on the 2nd pull the other day and it's about 10 or 11 years old. I've always ran good mix. Last few years I've run Husqvarna XP with stabilizer. I'll run close to 10 gallons of fuel thru it a season.

Shindaiwa

Dennis

Dennis

Arboristsite MVP
Website
Visit site
I would normally move this, as its "off topic":rolleyes: , but there is no real category for it on AS...I have had very good luck with both Efco and Shindaiwa brush saws...definitely my top two picks...lets try to incorporate more chainsaws in these posts..lol...even if we hide them....that way Darin won't ban me...lol...

porkuface

porkuface

Banned
Website
Visit site
Has anyone here had the opportunity to get a ride in a Mercedes C32 AMG? I just got a chance to drive one last week and it's a real quick and nimble coupe. Supercharged 3.2 liter V6 making about 350 HP. Get's to 60 in well under 5 seconds. Relatively speaking, it's short money at just over $50K. If you were so inclined, you could also fit a few of the larger chainsaws in the trunk, too.

Next week, I'll report on the new, 460 HP E55 AMG sedan when I drive it for the first time. It is bigger, so you can put even more chainsaws in the trunk.

eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
I'm eating a PBJ sammitch as I read this thread, made with grape jelly that my wife made of local wild grapes. I found a huge old grape vine on the south end of the "80", right along the edge of the swamp.

I used my trusty 2149 Jonsered chainsaw to cut down 1/2 of the alder thicket the grapes were growing in, and we netted about 7, 5-gal buckets of grapes.

Sure is good :p

I have been using a crappy old McC trimmer for 12 years. I rescued it from the dumpster at the cemetary, and it just won't die. I am admitting, however, that I'm not a slave to my lawn. I only probably burn 2 gallons through it in a whole summer.

Weatherby

Weatherby

ArboristSite Operative
Well I actually have the "el cheapo" Weedeater brand line trimmer from Walmart, and it has served its purpose very well. I would think with only occasional use any line trimmer should be suffient. I would reccomend getting a stright shaft line trimmer, as they are easier to use in my opinion, and you dont have to bend over as much.

I also try to use a heavier line than what comes on the trimmer. It nice not to have to change the line as much. For the tough stuff I have an old echo 40cc brush cutter which weighs god only knows how much.

One thing I can say is that its much easier to use a brush cutter to cut seedlings than it is a chainsaw. Much easier on your back. Plus I would think it would be a little quicker.

Dolmar_Tech_Mgr

Dolmar_Tech_Mgr

ArboristSite Operative
Website
www.dolmarusa.com
Dont limit yourself to Stihl and Husqvarna!
Dolmar sells an excellent line of line trimmers and brushcutters in both 2-cycle and 4-cycle units. The MS20C is the lightest weight straight shaft string trimmer that I have ever used and I love it and for a home use I would never use any other.

Terry

John in MA

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
I actually use a '90s Homelite, '90s Ryobi, and an ancient Homelite (based on a Mini XL) brushcutter. These were all dump finds however, and I would have gotten something better if I was buying.

Also have an FS74, but it needs some parts. What's a used clutch housing run these days?

bwalker

bwalker

Resident Hack Sawbuilder Exposer
I have a stihl fs250 and a fs85 and both have been great pieces of equipment. Shindaiwas are fist rate also, but hard to find in my raea.

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
if u are just trimming around your house ,i can recommend the 25 cc trimmer sold as weed eater poulan craftsman,etc. with good maintenance it will last well.im a fan of that particular motor.
if brush cutting or heavy use, shindawa, stihl,etc. a brush cutter is better with solid drive rather than cable.

geofore

geofore

Addicted to ArboristSite
brush cutter

Since I don't own a sthil chain saw, I do own an old FS90 brush wacker and it preforms well since a tune up included a carb rebuild. Beats the heck out of trying to clear the mile of fence line with the chainsaw. The Sthil FS90 out did my Husky saw on those weeds. I also have a WeedEater50 that I use around the house but I like the Husky in the trees.

My2cents

My2cents

ArboristSite Operative
Website
Visit site
The parts for the Husky/Stihl string trimmers are very expensive.I got a nice old husky string trimmer I thought. It needed the orange primer bulb, I was informed by my husky dealer I could not purchase just the bulb; only the assembly was available for $52.00,. Unless you are using the trimmer daily I would buy a Wally Word special.

Oregon_Rob

Oregon_Rob

ArboristSite Guru
Don't try this at home

I have an old craftsman 38cc that I outfitted to use old, carbide tipped skill saw blades. 2” saplings, no problem! Just keep it away from any rocks, not to mention your feet.:D

Tim Gardner

Tim Gardner

ArboristSite Guru
We had a GreenMachine straight shaft trimmer. Put over 10 years of heavy use on it. Anything from cutting grass with line to trimming trees with a blade. I am not sure what company bought them out but they were very reliable.