Clearing Weeds and Light Brush

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCarp

Reaction score
Hello,

Joined this site today to see if anyone could tell me if a "perfect" tool exists that can help me in my yearly winter / spring weed and light brush cleaning?

I've attached pictures representative of quite a few areas that I try to take down to ground level (and lightly rake clean) before new growth starts.

IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0815.JPG

In the past, I've used my Echo SRM-260 with an 8 point brush blade, or just left the string head on and used bypass lopper for the bigger stuff.
It works, but fairly often dirt / rocks / leaves / stuff gets flung around everywhere and every once in a while, I have to "unwind" stalks that get wrapped around the head.

I recently ran across some info about using an articulating head hedge trimmer for this purpose.
While I do have a cheap Black Decker 20V one, it is quite head heavy, and with an 18" long bar probably a bit too long / unwieldy for the task but will try it out once it gets a little warmer and see how it goes.
Guess I could also try my handheld 20V 20" hedge trimmer and see how it goes, but being bent over for hours isn't too appealing.
I tried searching for something like a mini (6" - 10") articulating pole hedge trimmer but only could find mini handheld hedge trimmers (e.g., Makita XMU04ZX).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Still makes a hedge trimmer attachment for it's Kombi line. The angle between shaft and cutting head is adjustable. It is a fairly heavy unit, but is about the best tools going for cutting briars I have used. I think it's a lot better than any kind of saw blade. They one we have at work doesn't have any kind of shoulder harness, I am sure that would make doing much work with it much more pleasant.

I have a Stihl FS130, F350, and FS550. I will tell you from real life experience I prefer clearing small stuuf with the FS130. I am not a fan of the lower RPM but it gets the job done and at the end of the day at the fire who cares.

How do do like the 560? I just cannot get a decent balance on most.
It's big and heavy. I'm tall myself, so the added length of the shaft is good for me, it seems to balance out good for me. I have around 5 different blades for it, even got the whipper snipper head for it, with the HD square type string. **** goes flying with that head on.

It's big and heavy. I'm tall myself, so the added length of the shaft is good for me, it seems to balance out good for me. I have around 5 different blades for it, even got the whipper snipper head for it, with the HD square type string. **** goes flying with that head on.
I have never ran a 560 but my 350 and 550 I just cannot seem to balance. I fully understand that is a personal issue not an issue with Stihl....... I am just a short cranky ole bass turd....

Let me tell ya folks when the 550 is rolling she is rolling It is a helluva machine and I mean that in a good way

Hello,

Joined this site today to see if anyone could tell me if a "perfect" tool exists that can help me in my yearly winter / spring weed and light brush cleaning?

I've attached pictures representative of quite a few areas that I try to take down to ground level (and lightly rake clean) before new growth starts.

View attachment 1140654 View attachment 1140655

In the past, I've used my Echo SRM-260 with an 8 point brush blade, or just left the string head on and used bypass lopper for the bigger stuff.
It works, but fairly often dirt / rocks / leaves / stuff gets flung around everywhere and every once in a while, I have to "unwind" stalks that get wrapped around the head.

I recently ran across some info about using an articulating head hedge trimmer for this purpose.
While I do have a cheap Black Decker 20V one, it is quite head heavy, and with an 18" long bar probably a bit too long / unwieldy for the task but will try it out once it gets a little warmer and see how it goes.
Guess I could also try my handheld 20V 20" hedge trimmer and see how it goes, but being bent over for hours isn't too appealing.
I tried searching for something like a mini (6" - 10") articulating pole hedge trimmer but only could find mini handheld hedge trimmers (e.g., Makita XMU04ZX).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
rent or borrow a mulching mower like a Billy Goat or a DR mower and then keep it low by cutting more often with a simple weed wacker.

I have never ran a 560 but my 350 and 550 I just cannot seem to balance. I fully understand that is a personal issue not an issue with Stihl....... I am just a short cranky ole bass turd....

Let me tell ya folks when the 550 is rolling she is rolling It is a helluva machine and I mean that in a good way
With 57cc's what mine doesn't cut, it burns it's way through.

I have a Stihl FS110 with bicycle handles and a Renegade blade.
I have used it to take out acres of brush up to 2"
Light enough to go a few hours straight.
Cuts through autumn olive and berry brambles just fine.

Pole saw for the bigger stuff.

If you have a straight shaft string trimmer that's at least 30cc, I'd recommend the Forester 9" brush blade. It will zip through a 2" sapling in about as long as it takes to blink. Speaking from experience, they DO NOT hold up well when they come in contact with a steel T post though...

https://www.amazon.com/Forester-Cha...F2Us55NNCgmWTOUq_YUq5eQzzjgaAvhPEALw_wcB&th=1
There is a smaller 7" version as well. I presume they are a better choice for smaller CC trimmers.

I use a Ryobi Expand-it 8 inch brush cutter head. It's a three lobed cutter. I have a 2 cycle power head and a 40v power head.

I think it depends on if you have rocks/logs hidden within the weeds, and how large the area is.

A bush hog type string trimmer is good for rocks and logs, etc. if it's a big area, a flail (sp?) and tractor is the way. good luck.

SRM-260 and the 8" chisel tooth blade (here, one from Stihl: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/circularchisel/) will do fine on that and it is easy to sharpen yourself. I have an SRM-260 I converted to a PAS and run that particular blade on it just fine for smaller stuff (1.5" on down). For bigger stuff my SRM-410u gets used with a 9" Oregon Maxi blade.

With a bit more engine (35cc+), a tri-blade would be effective in getting the stuff down if you do not need to cut through actual trunks. Ditto the shredder-type blade. I used to run a Stihl FS-200 with the tri-blade and it was super effective on that kind of brush.

Latest posts

Back