FS80 - What should my replacement trimmer be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fastcast...came across this post in all of the head-spinning stabbing back and forth bween you and all these trimmer guys...then you post that you are running Macs...hafta take a chiddling stab at this.

Macs are used to draw flowers...as one my long ago professors used to tell the class...now I ain't got nutting on PC but I work with UNIX/Solaris and on the team of Windows Admin/Network Admin/Unix Admin we all are on rotational call and I have gotten called in to work exactly one time in the last 3.5 years.

Anyway you all providing amost entertaining forum...heck there should be a charge for admissions to this event :cheers:

and your point is?....You do know than, that the modern Mac OS (OSX) is essentially UNIX (core) with a user friendly GUI don't you?.....This is the main reason its security is superior to Windows. Along with many other things.

BTW....I have no virus/spyware/malware etc. software running on any of my Macs....Only the stock firewall is being used.....Go ahead and send me a nasty bug, if you can.....No one has been able to do it in 15 years running Macs so I think I'll stick with them. :givebeer:

PS...."Macs are used to draw flowers"....that truly is an asinine statement. Do you read newspapers, magazines, watch movies, advertise for your business or listen to music? Guess what platform the vast majority of those things are produced on....MAC

and your point is?....You do know than, that the modern Mac OS (OSX) is essentially UNIX (core) with a user friendly GUI don't you?.....This is the main reason its security is superior to Windows. Along with many other things.

BTW....I have no virus/spyware/malware etc. software running on any of my Macs....Only the stock firewall is being used.....Go ahead and send me a nasty bug, if you can.....No one has been able to do it in 15 years running Macs so I think I'll stick with them. :givebeer:

PS...."Macs are used to draw flowers"....that truly is an asinine statement. Do you read newspapers, magazines, watch movies, advertise for your business or listen to music? Guess what platform the vast majority of those things are produced on....MAC

My point is don't gloat Mac's unless you draw flowers. I have never NEVER seen a Mac used where large amount of processing power is needed and I have been in this industry for well over 15 years. Yeah, never seen Mac's used in college from the College of Science groupings. There might be some Macs used in the Graphics Design Dept...a.k.a Flower design group.

Any computer can simply do what a Mac does...that a fact! Just because you see a newspaper story originate form a Mac does not mean nothing...I bet the journalism guy/gal came from the Graphics Dept...purely speculating.

I dunno about the darn virus. I will let MS worry about that. But more of the utility software that is offered that you can buy at the store is designed for MS software...NOT Mac. 'course this does not mean Mac is inferior...it just means that Windows is the preferred standard PC platform OS...just all.

Back to the point of this thread...I get a chuckle out of this go back 'n forth. Fact is here in NOVA I see more than 90+ percent of landscape companies have Stihl products and the next I would say Echo...hardly see the Husky and the Kawi and Honda 'cept when the Husky is a mower and the Kawi /Honda are rice running bikes. This points out something clearly...that Stihl is superior for the NEEDS of the pros. Nothing else need to be said. I know for a fact if a landscape company bought 10 Stihl products (same model) and were not happy with them...they would not get any more Stihl products. This is how important their work is and how important their tools of the trade is.

Your opinion of Stihl is just that...your opinion. Saying Stihl this and that is a blanlet statement and you prolly have nothing to stand behind this statement. Of course you can get a bad model occassionally...anything made by man is not going to be 100% all the time when first roll off the factory floor.

You saying Windows sucks works against what millions of people are doing...just with Stihl. If Mac was THAT good...I suspect they will up their marketing hype and get their models on the floor but ain't happening...same with Kawi and Honda equipment.

My point is don't gloat Mac's unless you draw flowers. I have never NEVER seen a Mac used where large amount of processing power is needed and I have been in this industry for well over 15 years. Yeah, never seen Mac's used in college from the College of Science groupings. There might be some Macs used in the Graphics Design Dept...a.k.a Flower design group.

Any computer can simply do what a Mac does...that a fact! Just because you see a newspaper story originate form a Mac does not mean nothing...I bet the journalism guy/gal came from the Graphics Dept...purely speculating.

I dunno about the darn virus. I will let MS worry about that. But more of the utility software that is offered that you can buy at the store is designed for MS software...NOT Mac. 'course this does not mean Mac is inferior...it just means that Windows is the preferred standard PC platform OS...just all.

You saying Windows sucks works against what millions of people are doing...just with Stihl. If Mac was THAT good...I suspect they will up their marketing hype and get their models on the floor but ain't happening...same with Kawi and Honda equipment.

Whatever you think big Jim.....I suppose Poulan is also considered the "preferred standard" saw for the masses.....Keep installing all your virus crap and whatever other garbage you need to keep your computing environment safe. :dizzy:.....I prefer to just keep on working and not worry about that. :)

I remember using a Mac computer in elementary school, haven't seen one since then. Did they go down the crapper or is it just high dollar stuff now?

Whatever you think big Jim.....I suppose Poulan is also considered the "preferred standard" saw for the masses.....Keep installing all your virus crap and whatever other garbage you need to keep your computing environment safe. :dizzy:.....I prefer to just keep on working and not worry about that. :)

HeHe...your funny. Well the Poulan did not cost me a pretty penny and it cut a damn tree. Cannot beat that :monkey:

Now...the virus patch is installed in one fell swoop....using a server loaded with all IP address of the computer in the office or on the network line...it it scheduled to run at night say 11:00pm and installed on all PC. Piece of cake if I say myself. I know...I used to help someone do it. If ya call drawing flowers...then keep working :cry:

I remember using a Mac computer in elementary school, haven't seen one since then. Did they go down the crapper or is it just high dollar stuff now?

2K,

You may want to consider suing the school because of the inferior education you received.

Just beatin' the bushes for ya Spacey,

ole joat

You fools are obviously ignorant about the new Apple/Mac computers....You've apparently never heard of Consumer Reports or Cnet and how top rated the Macs are in usability, reliability & support.

Are you aware that Macs can boot and run Windows Vista/XP, Linux or OSX or run all 3 side by side and jump back and forth between those 3 platforms with a click of the mouse, running software from any of the 3 OSs?.....Can your PC do that?

In other words my Mac Hardware can run any of the big 3 OSs I choose to run and can do everything your lovely DELLs can do and then some.

Welcome to 2009......Here's just 1 of 1000s upon 1000s of reviews just like this one.

"PC to Mac Convert and lovin' it!

I am a long-time IT professional with enough certifications (mostly Microsoft) to make a large can of alphabet soup, and this is my first Mac. I had played with a few of them here and there years ago, and never saw what people liked about them. The closest I ever came was back in the late '90s when I was tempted to run Windows on a PPC, but just about the time I was going to do that, Microsoft pulled their support for it from Windows, and that ended that.

So, I was anti-Mac for quite a few years. All that has changed. I began to believe in the OS when Apple began to base it on Unix. A solid, time proven technology that I trust. The big thing that changed it all for me is VMWare. For 70 dollars, I have the ability to run Vista Ultimate, XP, and Ubuntu Linux on OSX. My Vista Ultimate is my previous Dell (not a slouchy box, either). It's a complete clone of my old computer. Windows still shows it being a Dell! Spooky. Windows had it a 3.6 rating, and a retest of the VM on my Mac shows a 3.6 rating. That alone earns 4 of the stars I give this machine.
Now, here's another reason why I'm so happy. I put Office 2008 on the Mac Book Pro, and I seldom have any reason to even start the Vista VM anymore. The last two times I did, it was only because I miss the great Vista solitaire game. That earns the fifth star -- I'm not "homesick" in the least. I think I'll be staying right here on planet Mac. As a matter of fact, I got a MacBook for my wife, I liked this MBPro MB471LL/A so much! Bought her the MB403LL/A.

I use it with an external monitor about 90 percent of the time, so the glare of the glossy screen hasn't been an issue for me. The built in screen is gorgeous, and I've not been in a situation where glare became an issue.
This machine is truly desktop horsepower in a gorgeous carved aluminum notebook chassis. I'm a very happy camper."

You fools are obviously ignorant about the new Apple/Mac computers....You've apparently never heard of Consumer Reports or Cnet and how top rated the Macs are in usability, reliability & support.

Are you aware that Macs can boot and run Windows Vista/XP, Linux or OSX or run all 3 side by side and jump back and forth between those 3 platforms with a click of the mouse, running software from any of the 3 OSs?.....Can your PC do that?

In other words my Mac Hardware can run any of the big 3 OSs I choose to run and can do everything your lovely DELLs can do and then some.

Welcome to 2009......Here's just 1 of 1000s upon 1000s of reviews just like this one.

"PC to Mac Convert and lovin' it!

I am a long-time IT professional with enough certifications (mostly Microsoft) to make a large can of alphabet soup, and this is my first Mac. I had played with a few of them here and there years ago, and never saw what people liked about them. The closest I ever came was back in the late '90s when I was tempted to run Windows on a PPC, but just about the time I was going to do that, Microsoft pulled their support for it from Windows, and that ended that.

So, I was anti-Mac for quite a few years. All that has changed. I began to believe in the OS when Apple began to base it on Unix. A solid, time proven technology that I trust. The big thing that changed it all for me is VMWare. For 70 dollars, I have the ability to run Vista Ultimate, XP, and Ubuntu Linux on OSX. My Vista Ultimate is my previous Dell (not a slouchy box, either). It's a complete clone of my old computer. Windows still shows it being a Dell! Spooky. Windows had it a 3.6 rating, and a retest of the VM on my Mac shows a 3.6 rating. That alone earns 4 of the stars I give this machine.
Now, here's another reason why I'm so happy. I put Office 2008 on the Mac Book Pro, and I seldom have any reason to even start the Vista VM anymore. The last two times I did, it was only because I miss the great Vista solitaire game. That earns the fifth star -- I'm not "homesick" in the least. I think I'll be staying right here on planet Mac. As a matter of fact, I got a MacBook for my wife, I liked this MBPro MB471LL/A so much! Bought her the MB403LL/A.

I use it with an external monitor about 90 percent of the time, so the glare of the glossy screen hasn't been an issue for me. The built in screen is gorgeous, and I've not been in a situation where glare became an issue.
This machine is truly desktop horsepower in a gorgeous carved aluminum notebook chassis. I'm a very happy camper."

FC,

If this is the crowd you want to hang with, have at it. Good luck with THE GLARE and GORGEOUS ALUMINUM CHASSIS. lofao

Best wishes,

ole joat

old news...

Fastcast,

Running 3 OS on Mac...this is old news. Sorry to burst your thoughts. The term in the real world is called "virtualization" and this is simply running more than the initial OS/DB/Apps on a box. This reduces redundancy in having multiple servers/PC's. Maybe at one time Macs were good but Apple screwed up by abandoning the advancement of the Mac probably because they saw that MS had a superior product and had a better marketing channel. I will put my tow cents here and say if Mac had more of their flower boxes on the network...their vulnerability will be pentrated easily. I say this because I have seen hacker collaboration group websites and they work like a teamwork. The only reason you see MS being listed as the most pentrated system is because they are running in 95% of the business office. And that is a fact. Hackers are not gonna waste their time trying to hack a Mac because it simply has no irrelevant data to steal. The only reason why they hack a box is because of the information contained within the box. About 10 years ago I worked in Tysons Corner at a office where all the managers had their office and the contractors were at the DOD sites. In this office I took care of a few managers computers (take a guess what computer they had :) ) and at the CEO's computer he was running a Mac and it was not networked. On his Mac he had a bunch of spreadsheets, presentations, emails...nothing else. Goes to show ya what a Mac was for back then. In the scientific/development community a computer is measured by its computing power. This brings us to the trimmers...more power (measured in hprpm) is an indication of its horsepower :popcorn:

You can stick with what works for you. But your going against the wave if you proclaim your Kaw out-powers a Stihl when the horse of your trimmer is lacking against say a 100RX. Often times you will see a few rebellous folks bad-mouth another product and this is seen across many industries...nothing wrong with that but get ur facts together before you make this bold statement. Of course I've never run a Kaw trimmer and I may be surprised...but I bet a Honda V6 will outrun a Honda 4Cycl and this is a good assumption.

linux

BTW...Linux was on the scene way before Mac...and a while ago Solaris offered their OS for Free...yup you can download this OS for free. You can even build your Linux for free by downloading all of the drivers/apps and building yourself. Whatever Mac is doing....is what everyone else HAS BEEN doing for some time. Obviously Apple saw the opportunity to extend their product line and saw how superior Unix is and is trying to adapt. But they bursted on the scene so late LOL...market is really saturated with all of this crap and Apple is once again pondering how they can gain market share. I think Apple should stick with their handheld stuff like IPods...that is their niche...

Fastcast,

Running 3 OS on Mac...this is old news. Sorry to burst your thoughts. The term in the real world is called "virtualization" and this is simply running more than the initial OS/DB/Apps on a box.

No Jim :dizzy:....I'm not just talking about virtualization, like in Parallels or VMWare. I'm talking about actually having any of those 3 OSs installed and being able to boot solely on any one of the 3 or you do the virtualization with Parallels or VMWare.....Your choice.

The only reason you see MS being listed as the most pentrated system is because they are running in 95% of the business office. And that is a fact. Hackers are not gonna waste their time trying to hack a Mac because it simply has no irrelevant data to steal.

No Jim :dizzy:.....I believe it has something to do with MS-DOS/Windows never originally being built with security in mind and using hacks to apply security after the fact.....Where as Unix/OSX was originally designed as secure platform through open source developers....If the haters like you could so easily hack the Macs, you can best believe they would be doing it....To prove a point, if nothing else.

Whatever Mac is doing....is what everyone else HAS BEEN doing for some time. Obviously Apple saw the opportunity to extend their product line and saw how superior Unix is and is trying to adapt. But they bursted on the scene so late LOL

OSX has been out for like a decade now Jim :dizzy:.....Apple has always been the innovator and MS the copier.....Without Apple we'd all still be doing command line. :bang:

Here I am arguing again with another typical Mac/Apple hater, who is really quite ignorant of the product he so deplores......Go ahead and ramble on some more stupidity.....I'll try to ignore you! :chatter:

Everyone knows Macs blow and PCs suck!

Figure out a way to sandwich the intake and exhaust just right between one of each, and we might be able to suck start a 660! :greenchainsaw:

:spam:

Would you all get a room. We don't come here to talk about computer stuff. This is a place of tranquility, peace and rip-roarin' chainsaws. We burn fossil fuels not cpu cycles. We make wood chips, not silicon chips.

I vote neg reps for further computer crack discussion.

:spam:

Would you all get a room. We don't come here to talk about computer stuff. This is a place of tranquility, peace and rip-roarin' chainsaws. We burn fossil fuels not cpu cycles. We make wood chips, not silicon chips.

I vote neg reps for further computer crack discussion.

:agree2: :arg:

Jim, dug up an old thread looking to start a fight.....Not one myself to purposely go looking for trouble but when it comes my way, be assured I won't turn my back.

:givebeer:

:agree2: :arg:

Jim, dug up an old thread looking to start a fight.....Not one myself to purposely go looking for trouble but when it comes my way, be assured I won't turn my back.

:givebeer:

Ha, are you the same Fastcat I know?

Apple does ONE thing really well, and that’s marketing. They have a select group of people (usually younger, trendy, and not overly techy) convinced that they are the best, and those folks are very passionate about it. They tend to be stereotyped as stuck up snobs, but I guess its proven to be a pretty accurate stereotype. Link

Here are some of my favorite Mac lover “facts”

Macs are more secure-

Macs are less of a target, that’s true, cause honestly, what hacker wants to steel pictures of flowers? Statically, the mac OS is less secure than XP or Vista. In 2007 OSX had 5 times the security vulnerabilities than XP and Vista combined! Link

Macs are best for graphics-

Maybe in 1982, but you can buy all the same graphics software and hardware for a PC as you can for a Mac. Graphic guys may be accustom to using macs, but that doesn’t make them better, just different

Macs can run Vista-

Funny that Mac folks don’t realize that PCs can run a mac OS too (but why?). So, you could have better hardware for less and still use your mac software, of course, then you wouldn’t have your “gorgeous carved aluminum cases”, and what would the guys at the gourmet coffee shop say if saw you using a computer without a purdy case?

DSC00323.jpg

Back on track heres my FS450, It aint that clean any more lol

Back