FS80 - What should my replacement trimmer be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O my ribs hurt with laughing! A FS130 overkill LOL!!!!!
Its a kiddies toy compared to my nice FS450.
Ive had 2 full days runtime on it and it is superb!
I dont notice the weight now after the first half day and the lack of vibes is real nice.
I will keep a 250 around for doing steep bankings but the 450 now has taken over the title of prince of strimmers:cheers:

ole joat bought a new trimmer today.

RedMax - no - only one dealer and he had thin stock, probably at least a year old.

Kawasaki - no - only one dealer almost a forty-five minute drive from home. I asked about the KGT27B that Erick told me about. They looked at my like I was from another planet. I am, but gee.

Husqvarna - no - looked OK, but no compelling reviews.

Echo - no - couldn't figure out what model to use for a blade.

Stihl - yes - they seemed to have trimmers covered. I wanted a KM130, but everyone said overkill. I bought a nice KM110 and got a large blade and I'm good to go. Made add the hedge trimmer soon.

I did use my FS80 today for 1 1/2 hours to catch up on five weeks of trimming I've missed. The trimmer ran better than ever, even when new in my opinion. Thanks Tommie.

I'll keep the FS80 with PolyCut head and use the KM110 with a blade. I like having a backup too.

A full report from,

ole joat

Now thats more like it ole Joat. That KM110 is nice, have sold a bunch of those. Lots of torque without that screaming 2cycle noise while turning more rpms. That thing perks at 10,000 plus rpms and it sounds like its doing 6000. Way to go Joat,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

you should have gotten the FS550. That will be my next trimmer when the time comes

O my ribs hurt with laughing! A FS130 overkill LOL!!!!!
Its a kiddies toy compared to my nice FS450.
Ive had 2 full days runtime on it and it is superb!
I dont notice the weight now after the first half day and the lack of vibes is real nice.
I will keep a 250 around for doing steep bankings but the 450 now has taken over the title of prince of strimmers:cheers:

you should have gotten the FS550. That will be my next trimmer when the time comes

Fellas,

I'm a homeowner keeping a 3/4 acre lot I own behind my lot cleared of overgrowth. If I need more, ole joat will get it. No worry there.

Thanks for your concern,

ole joat

Now thats more like it ole Joat. That KM110 is nice, have sold a bunch of those. Lots of torque without that screaming 2cycle noise while turning more rpms. That thing perks at 10,000 plus rpms and it sounds like its doing 6000. Way to go Joat,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Tommie,

Stihl owes you one baby. If you hadn't encouraged and helped me, I'd have left the reservation entirely. I was ready to :buttkick: Stihl to the curb. But, ole Tommie :) came through. :clap:

Here's to ya, :cheers:

ole joat

10,000 lol i saw the tach hit 14,800 on the 450 before i chickened out on spinning it up with no line in the head!
Its pulling not far from 10,000 rpm while cutting!

No muffler mod for this one as it has a non adjustable carb:cry:

10,000 lol i saw the tach hit 14,800 on the 450 before i chickened out on spinning it up with no line in the head!
Its pulling not far from 10,000 rpm while cutting!

No muffler mod for this one as it has a non adjustable carb:cry:

SCS,

Remember now. Faster isn't always better. Check with your girlfriend if you still have doubts.

ole joat

SCS,

Remember now. Faster isn't always better. Check with your girlfriend if you still have doubts.

ole joat

She does ask for faster and harder now and then!
The other words would be all in #####:)

I have a FS85 with bike handles i got for nothing but was needing a carb, My 75 year old Dad uses that one! Just because he was struggling to start the FS250s!

KM 130 (or 110 if you don't deal with the heavy stuff) with a HL 135° Adjustable Hedge Trimmer

I have one, my family loves this thing!...amazing tool. It came with a "FS Line Head Trimmer" but once the HL Hedge trimmer was put on, no one wants to waste time with the "String" weed wacker type attachment any more. Better in heavy weeds, easier to work around buildings(our barns) and fence posts...just a better tool. Better design.

It built rugged as well, there is a "competition built" look alike we have seen at a box store....looks like a toy as compared to the Stihl.

You can argue the price was high..over $500 bucks...but I can tell you this family would buy the same rig again. One of those "life altering" tools that has made life so much easier around the horse part of this farm.

Last edited:
Shooter, that FS450 was designed to be a clearing saw i.e. more of a high torque spool up make a fast cut and cool down kind of thing like a chainsaw.... I'd fatten it up a bit for sustained full throttle trimmer use. Just the thoughts of a rambling mind. ;) :cheers:

Shooter, that FS450 was designed to be a clearing saw i.e. more of a high torque spool up make a fast cut and cool down kind of thing like a chainsaw.... I'd fatten it up a bit for sustained full throttle trimmer use. Just the thoughts of a rambling mind. ;) :cheers:

Non adjustable carb im afraid!
Ive used the 250s for years that way and a mate uses a 450 just like me, As a mower.
I was expecting it to hit a limiter about 12,500! but it seems it does not have one.
In a 45cc saw you would think nothing about 14,800, Well if it was a 242XP anyway lol

The gaurd never got fitted so it uses a bit longer line to load it up:)

Ahh yes the fixed jet carb :dizzy:........ 5 different carbs on that thing and you got the 1 fixed jet :laugh:

That is a ZAMA C1Q carb if you just so happened to come across an adjustable one cheap, you'd be looking for a S94 or an S117. ;)

Oh, I use Windows..We do have a Dell laptop. :dizzy:

My work computers and our main family computer are all Macs running OSX.

It's unanimous in our house, even the kids don't like the Dell running Windows. Even though there's more "games" available for it. The wife uses PC/Windows all day at work and has nothing good to say about them either. :censored:

Fastcast...came across this post in all of the head-spinning stabbing back and forth bween you and all these trimmer guys...then you post that you are running Macs...hafta take a chiddling stab at this.

Macs are used to draw flowers...as one my long ago professors used to tell the class...now I ain't got nutting on PC but I work with UNIX/Solaris and on the team of Windows Admin/Network Admin/Unix Admin we all are on rotational call and I have gotten called in to work exactly one time in the last 3.5 years.

Anyway you all providing amost entertaining forum...heck there should be a charge for admissions to this event :cheers:

yup...

macs are predominant in education (k-12) and the graphics industry. Pc's are the standard in the real world no matter if you like them or not. I've used a pc at work for over 10 years and i don't seem to have any issues. In my experience, the ones that tend to complain about them are the ones that are more accustomed to using macs.

+1

Latest posts

Back