FS80 - What should my replacement trimmer be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some of the guys i work with are using Makita branded Robin strimmers the RBC420e 1.9 hp 8.2 KG 40.2cc The Council around here use the RBC421e which is the same machine with anti vibe handles.
They are a reed valve engine.
These things are a complete POS they are gutless heavy and un-reliable (I had one) They need warmed up for a couple of minutes EVERY time you start it the clutches break up on a regular basis, They carbon up all the time, The gearheads die now and then, And they will boil the petrol on a hot day!
But they are less than half the price of a Stihl.

Im putting a piston in one and a gearhead on another in a few days when they arrive.

Thanks for the info on the Robin. Reed valves, too cool! Here in the states Robin Outdoor lists the NB411 (40.2cc 16lbs) as the top 2 stroke and it will set you back about $400 American. Never seen/used any robin trimmers but I would like to give one a try.

How much did that big boy stihl set you back? I have always wanted a FS550 but cant justify the $1300 price tag. I have been looking at a husky 355fx but I have never priced one out and don’t know anybody who actually owns one. Cheers!

scotclayshooter

scotclayshooter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for the info on the Robin. Reed valves, too cool! Here in the states Robin Outdoor lists the NB411 (40.2cc 16lbs) as the top 2 stroke and it will set you back about $400 American. Never seen/used any robin trimmers but I would like to give one a try.

How much did that big boy stihl set you back? I have always wanted a FS550 but cant justify the $1300 price tag. I have been looking at a husky 355fx but I have never priced one out and don’t know anybody who actually owns one. Cheers!

When they were badged as Robins they had float valve carbs and seemed more powerful, We still have one, Thats the one im putting the gearhead on.
The newer ones come with a silly Walbro carb that fails all the time! Its a rotary throttle rather than a butterfly, Some carbs are adjustable some only the high and others are non adjustable.
The also max out at only 7,800 rpm.
I think a different carb would wake them up a lot.
The replacement clutches come without linings and are better.

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
Shooter, any direct experience with the Kawasaki KBH48A, we can't get them here in the states. I wanted to try one out pretty bad after getting my KGT27A. I settled out on the FS250 and have been pretty happy with it..... nothing this side of the pond cuts quite like it, but I still sometimes wonder.

And Tommie the KGT is spec'ed 1.6hp like it or not.... all those dealers didn't just yank the exact same number out of the air. :laugh:

scotclayshooter

scotclayshooter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Shooter, any direct experience with the Kawasaki KBH48A, we can't get them here in the states. I wanted to try one out pretty bad after getting my KGT27A. I settled out on the FS250 and have been pretty happy with it..... nothing this side of the pond cuts quite like it, but I still sometimes wonder.

And Tommie the KGT is spec'ed 1.6hp like it or not.... all those dealers didn't just yank the exact same number out of the air. :laugh:

Im not sure of the models we had on demo but i wasnt impressed.

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've got an old FS410 and it's force to be reckoned with for sure but man is that thing heavy. :jawdrop:

Only comes out when it's truly necessary, run that thing for an hour and the FS250 feels like a toy. :laugh:

Haywire Haywood

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
I've been thinking about a new trimmer for a couple years now. I have a Husky 232R, but I want something that will sling .130 string with a little more authority. That thick stuff just lasts longer than the .080 it came with.
Maybe I should just get the 232 ported. It might be cheaper than a new unit.

Tommy, you're a good man but you've got enough stars by your name... NO REP FOR YOU. ;)

Synne... The was unfunny and uncalled for... RED REP FOR YOU.

sincerely,
The Rep Nazi

Latest posts