FS80 - What should my replacement trimmer be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW...Linux was on the scene way before Mac...and a while ago Solaris offered their OS for Free...yup you can download this OS for free. You can even build your Linux for free by downloading all of the drivers/apps and building yourself. Whatever Mac is doing....is what everyone else HAS BEEN doing for some time. Obviously Apple saw the opportunity to extend their product line and saw how superior Unix is and is trying to adapt. But they bursted on the scene so late LOL...market is really saturated with all of this crap and Apple is once again pondering how they can gain market share. I think Apple should stick with their handheld stuff like IPods...that is their niche...

A mishmash of history..I don't have time to put a focused effort into this...but Sun and Apple are both early inovators.

Actually what Sun and many others are doing from a product perspective has similar origins. Mac's early interface concept is a rip off from an old Zerox icon & mouse interface project. Sun was the results of a DARPA project & Unix & had their first interfaces inspired by that same "Zerox" interface project. The "Sun" archetecture was a workstation concept used by many in the early days of UNIX workstations. (There was another manufacturing SW oriented company that was started by a fellow named Mike Sterling...the company was "Cimlinc" that also had Sun archetecture Workstatoins & Unix v.7 & "Zerox" inspired GUI back in the 1980's).

Unix was before Linux (Linux is inspired by unix)....To be accurate, the early Mac's were Motorola 68000 based systems with a "unix" like OS along with a mouse & icon point & click type interface. LONG before Linux was even a thought.

Conclusion? Mac/Apple has been working around UNIX style distributed processing, networking, "icon/mouse point & click" workstation products for a long long time. They were the FIRST to sell that style product into the consumer marketplace. (There was a half attempt by Radioshack to sell a 68000/Unix system...but even it was more business than consumer) They are a true inovator like them or not.

(I'm showing my age becasue I worked with ALL of them. Starting with a Gould system, then Sun's, Cimlincs, HP's and a mess of other systems from Masscomps to IBM's all with dirivatives of Unix & point & click GUI's and watched the evolution of Apple and most of the other Unix worksation concepts from the late 1970's to the late 1990's..and oh yea..linux, Scheme, visual c++, and a whole mess of later generation boring crap that I'm glad to forget about. Still have a collection of working Unix based HP workstations from the early 300 series to a pair of HP 900 715/100's, all with c compilers and the later ones with a c++ development environment in the room I'm sitting in now to type this)

Last edited:
Update!

ole joat bought a new trimmer today.

RedMax - no - only one dealer and he had thin stock, probably at least a year old.

Kawasaki - no - only one dealer almost a forty-five minute drive from home. I asked about the KGT27B that Erick told me about. They looked at my like I was from another planet. I am, but gee.

Husqvarna - no - looked OK, but no compelling reviews.

Echo - no - couldn't figure out what model to use for a blade.

Stihl - yes - they seemed to have trimmers covered. I wanted a KM130, but everyone said overkill. I bought a nice KM110 and got a large blade and I'm good to go. Made add the hedge trimmer soon.

I did use my FS80 today for 1 1/2 hours to catch up on five weeks of trimming I've missed. The trimmer ran better than ever, even when new in my opinion. Thanks Tommie.

I'll keep the FS80 with PolyCut head and use the KM110 with a blade. I like having a backup too.

A full report from,

ole joat

O my ribs hurt with laughing! A FS130 overkill LOL!!!!!
Its a kiddies toy compared to my nice FS450.
Ive had 2 full days runtime on it and it is superb!
I dont notice the weight now after the first half day and the lack of vibes is real nice.
I will keep a 250 around for doing steep bankings but the 450 now has taken over the title of prince of strimmers:cheers:

Folks,

SCS dissed me and challenged my manhood when I bought the KM110. Being insecure, I had to do something. I thought about a 250, 350 and 450. But, I did have the string trimmer and hedge trimmer attachment and jknow I'll get the saw option soon.

So, ole joat bought a KM130. Very noticible power boost over the KM110 and the KM130 is blessed with great acceleration. I sure do like this easy starting, quiet powerhouse. Weeds don't have a chance. Sneak up on them and ... bam ... hit the throttle. It's really not a fair fight.

I'm set ..... as long as SCS doesn't laugh and point again,

ole joat

Diss! Who me!!!:greenchainsaw:

One of our guys got a FS310, Its a FS130 with the anti vibe handles.
He put it back as he is 6' 3" and the shaft is too short!

Hey Joat I like the 450 more and more its only fault is the air cleaner needs regular cleaning as its the same one thats on the 250 but that bigger engine is sucking in more air. Grrr
Its my fault really as my cutting method throws lots of dust about.

Diss! Who me!!!:greenchainsaw:

One of our guys got a FS310, Its a FS130 with the anti vibe handles.
He put it back as he is 6' 3" and the shaft is too short!

Hey Joat I like the 450 more and more its only fault is the air cleaner needs regular cleaning as its the same one thats on the 250 but that bigger engine is sucking in more air. Grrr
Its my fault really as my cutting method throws lots of dust about.

Clay->dust,

Just givin' ya a hard time. I felt like I tried to "slip one past the goalie" with the KM-110 and you were standing in the crease.

Good stop!

ole joat

Latest posts

Back