Stihl HS80 hedge trimmer won't throttle up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ran two more loaners from work, and guess what? They ALL had problems, all different! Two had Hi adjust needles, the third was the one I mentioned earlier. The first of the two new (to me) ones started alright, but quickly bogged. I re-zeroed the carb and it was off and running, more or less.

The second was a bit more tricky. It wouldn't idle no matter WHAT I tried. I had two guys up the hill releasing seedlings from Scots broom with the running trimmers while I fiddled with the broken one, so I was in a hurry to make it work. Several observations led to a surprisingly simple fix.

First, I noted that the throttle cable cam was misadjusted such that the LA needle never contacted the lever. As it turns out, this was a non-issue. The exhaust was clean enough that I wasn't concerned. The plug was both sooty and wet. I did the Rain Dance necessary to get the top cover off of the thing in order to have a good look at the linkages... nothing.

It was while I was putting it back together that I had my brainstorm. I ended up pushing and pulling wires and hoses all over the place, and as I was re-aligning the fuel pick-up line, I happened to look into the fuel tank. The filter was on the return line!

I slapped a new filter on the pick-up line and ditched the old one. It popped on the first pull. My theory is this: no return meant no flow, which meant inevitable flooding. I saw a similar problem in an old Saab 99 with Bosch fuel injection once. A new filter in the right place restored both return path and flow, and the thing ran.

I gotta say, though -- the design on these things is kinda janky. I wish Stihl cared as much about all of their small engines as they do about their chainsaws.

I gotta say, though -- the design on these things is kinda janky. I wish Stihl cared as much about all of their small engines as they do about their chainsaws.

Compared to what ?:confused: My experience is that the Stihl hedge trimmers are rock solid compared to the competition, but a bit heavy. If you have worked on a husqvarna trimmer, you'll notice quickly that there's no comparison with Stihl. The HS75 I had worked flawlessy for several years and sold it for good money because its handle was not revolving. I've got both the HS81R and HS81T now and they are hard to beat.

In the spirit of the mouse-over message on my status icons, which says I must agree with everyone:

Agreeing with belgian:
Since getting this unit running, I have to say I have no regrets on my purchase. I've put another 12 hours on it to clear some pretty heavy overgrowth as well as some mean wisteria, and really can't imagine having less than the 30" blades. The machine is indispensable, and when I recently saw some of the makes/models (Husqvarna was not one of them - it just never entered the picture) I was considering buying new instead of the HS80, I felt somewhat amused. Yes it's a bit heavy, but it gets the work done, and it feels really light when I put the 045AV down!

Agreeing with madhatte:
That being said, when I compare the engine performance of this to my Stihl chainsaws, it just isn't quite at the same level. I never need to prime (there is no primer) or idle the saws up to start them. They NEVER stall under normal use, and if they've been sitting for less than 15 minutes, a single pop past compression with no choke will bring them to life. The HS-80 (at least mine) just isn't to that level - starts a bit harder, and has stalled a couple of times. And restarting may require several pulls - even if I had recently shut it off - I am still very happy to blame all of this on the Zama carb, by the way. Yes, my saws are certainly not the latest models, and I hope all newer Stihl chainsaws compare favorably with their older counterparts in this way. Maybe madhatte is comparing the HS80 to other Stihl models as opposed to other brands.

How's that for diplomacy? :agree2:

Well, to Stihl chainsaws. I've got a bit of time with their rotary trimmers as well, and found their engine design similarly lacking. It's like they put all their energy into the saws and have very little left for their other small engines.

My personal opinion is that Stihll was really successfull in widening their product range with hedge trimmers, brush cutters, etc. AND while maintaining the same quality standard as their chainsaws. That is pretty impressive.

I don't know what you mean by a lacking engine design though. Smaller engines in general are more difficult to tune, have a smaller carb (which explains the need for a fuel bulb), and turn more rpm. Along with the need for a compact, lightweight design, it seems logical then that the engine components are not as sturdy as a chainsaw. Take a look at what the professional lawn & garden companies run....Stihl all the way over here. ;)

Smaller engines in general are more difficult to tune, have a smaller carb (which explains the need for a fuel bulb), and turn more rpm. Along with the need for a compact, lightweight design, it seems logical then that the engine components are not as sturdy as a chainsaw.

Point taken, and I don't disagree... fundamentally. Still, the troubles I've had with this particular model of trimmer frustrate me because all of the problems seem so easy to design around.

thank guys from a brit had my head done in

OK. I think I will call this success.

The passages were clean but the needle lever was not at its optimum bend. Thanks belgian and Fish for the suggestion to revisit that. The reason for the original adjustment is that per the attachment, the lever shape resembles Figure b MUCH more than Figure a. The "extra" bend in Figure a is so small on the lever (both the original and the replacement part) that it looks incidental - more of an imperfection. Thus, it was (per the tech manual) adjusted per Figure b. This resulted in a valve setting that would close much sooner than if adjusted per Figure a. So this time around, I adjusted it to a zero gap per Figure a in hopes to put it on the other end of the scale relative to where it was. This leaves the valve open longer and enrichens the mixture. Though still not as good as I would hope, it no longer stalls.

It is still sensitive to rotation per my earlier description, and I have to wonder if all HS80's are this way at least the ones with my carb model. I've noticed that in spark-plug-up position, the unit runs extremely well, and maybe other equipment that uses this engine/carb use the engine in a different orientation vs. the HS80.

I suppose it's also possibile is that this carb model (Zama C1Q-S42B) is more sensitive to position than others. This (according to the parts list) is the simplest (least parts) of the three carbs that were used in the HS80. The other two (Zama C1Q-S29C and Walbro WT-412A (C)) have control valves in the carb body, and the Walbro has a high-speed mixture control. I believe that my carb has a the control valve integral to the main jet, which may have caused my concern when cleaning the carb. So, I am curious as to which carb the others have, who are having the same problem I was - at least two others posted as having the same problem.

Anyway, I may play around and try to adjust the lever even farther to see if I get additional improvement, but will probably also check into getting a Walbro. But for now, it is running, and it seems that it may be operating more typically now for this unit. It did stall on me once - when it was running out of gas. I'm thinking it is overly sensitive to running out of gas...

That was a joke. :)

Thanks everyone for your time an patience! :cheers:
thank you also bent the bar slightly now works spot on carb was zamba c1q-s29c

thanks guys

had the same problem had my head was done in, bent the bar slightly now runs fine needle now letting more fuel through my carb was 1cq s29c thanks from a brit ha ha

I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping for some dumbed down instruction on what exactly is being bent.

I have some HS81 Trimmers that I bought new in (iirc) 2010. The have been problem free, and I only use them a couple of times a year.

Yesterday while trimming I noticed they want to bog out when I turn them sideways to trim the sides of bushes. They've never done that before, and I found this thread while searching for a possible cause. I could flip them upright, and let them idle for a few seconds, then feather the throttle a bit and they'd rev up fine until I turned them sideways again.

I haven't messed with small two stroke stuff much, but I tinker a lot on small engines. Can anyone give me a little more direction on what I should be looking for here?

Will do. I have only used ethanol-free gas in the thing. I HATE ethanol, but I guess the thing is 8 years old so I could be seeing some deterioration in the fuel system.

That`s a common problem on these hedge trimmers. Because of the small displacement of the engine, they react very strong on not properly tuned carburetors. Always tune them while they are standing on the tip of the cutting attachment. That`s the leanest point. Also check that the fuel lines are routed properly and that the hose is on the connector right. It`s also possible that the main jet on the carb is faulty and/or the carb is not tuned right or tuned to lean. Of course check all other things too, that could cause these sympthoms like leaking hoses, crankcase seals, intake manifold etc.

All I`ve said now is from a service information for Germany that dealers got, we (my dealer and I) talked about this severall times.

Edit: For you Mediacat guys, see also TI 05.2010 for reference.

Back