Clearing Weeds and Light Brush

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCarp

Reaction score
Hello,

Joined this site today to see if anyone could tell me if a "perfect" tool exists that can help me in my yearly winter / spring weed and light brush cleaning?

I've attached pictures representative of quite a few areas that I try to take down to ground level (and lightly rake clean) before new growth starts.

IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0815.JPG

In the past, I've used my Echo SRM-260 with an 8 point brush blade, or just left the string head on and used bypass lopper for the bigger stuff.
It works, but fairly often dirt / rocks / leaves / stuff gets flung around everywhere and every once in a while, I have to "unwind" stalks that get wrapped around the head.

I recently ran across some info about using an articulating head hedge trimmer for this purpose.
While I do have a cheap Black Decker 20V one, it is quite head heavy, and with an 18" long bar probably a bit too long / unwieldy for the task but will try it out once it gets a little warmer and see how it goes.
Guess I could also try my handheld 20V 20" hedge trimmer and see how it goes, but being bent over for hours isn't too appealing.
I tried searching for something like a mini (6" - 10") articulating pole hedge trimmer but only could find mini handheld hedge trimmers (e.g., Makita XMU04ZX).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Personally, I use an attachment that goes on the end of the line trimmer ( the proper name for a weed whacker). Basically, it's a circular saw blade that the Manufacturer has welded a chainsaw blade onto. It'll take down anything in it's path, up to about 4 inched. You can actually use it like a chain saw, and do a face cut and a felling cut on stuff up to about 6 inches.
It also has the advantage that it can be sharpened with a regular file, just like any other chain. It takes a second to spool up to cutting speed, and then just rips through whatever it touches. Ya just gotta remember to always approach what you're cutting from the correct side, to avoid kickback from the rotating blade.
Hit dirt and rock? .. No worries, just re-dress it with the file. Just like any other saw chain cutter.
https://www.amazon.ca/Forester-Chai...ain+saw+blade+bush+cutter,aps,849&sr=8-2&th=1This isn't the one I've got, but it's very similar. I got mine from the place that I used to go to to get all my stuff. They had two of them on the shelf, and they were dusty. My first clue that they weren't selling. I offered to take them off their hands for a 2 for 1 price. I got two of them for about $30.00 CDN. Had then for about 5 years, and they are holding up well.
Neighbours love them, and they look like something out of a Zombie Apocalypse movie ( Think Walking Dead ). But, they sure do work like a champ, and the ability to resharpen them is an added bonus.

Everything falls in the face of the FS 550 , yes it is heavy but the full harness with hip protector +clip on holder, it balances well for me. With a TRI Point weed remover it will decimate alders, they grow in bunches here with stems mostly 3/4" and under along backwoods road sides. I clear a couple miles each year, that`s doubled as both sides of the road gets cleared, the road is 14 miles long so always plenty more weeds growing.

Hello,

Joined this site today to see if anyone could tell me if a "perfect" tool exists that can help me in my yearly winter / spring weed and light brush cleaning?

I've attached pictures representative of quite a few areas that I try to take down to ground level (and lightly rake clean) before new growth starts.

View attachment 1140654 View attachment 1140655

In the past, I've used my Echo SRM-260 with an 8 point brush blade, or just left the string head on and used bypass lopper for the bigger stuff.
It works, but fairly often dirt / rocks / leaves / stuff gets flung around everywhere and every once in a while, I have to "unwind" stalks that get wrapped around the head.

I recently ran across some info about using an articulating head hedge trimmer for this purpose.
While I do have a cheap Black Decker 20V one, it is quite head heavy, and with an 18" long bar probably a bit too long / unwieldy for the task but will try it out once it gets a little warmer and see how it goes.
Guess I could also try my handheld 20V 20" hedge trimmer and see how it goes, but being bent over for hours isn't too appealing.
I tried searching for something like a mini (6" - 10") articulating pole hedge trimmer but only could find mini handheld hedge trimmers (e.g., Makita XMU04ZX).

Thank you
Get a quality Stihl or Shindaiwa 25cc trimmer/brush cutter with a solid drive and use what I have found to be an excellent blade for everything from heavy grass, thick weeds, and small saplings say up to about 1 1/2". That blade would be a Kurt-Saw 9" 36 Teeth Carbide Tipped Blade. 2-Packs of this blade can be found at Amazon for $20.78 plus shipping.
I have used it quite a lot. Believe me when I tell you it is the bomb!
The blade is highly praised by Project Farm on YouTube. Go see his video and listen to what he has to say about the Kurt-Saw blade.

Everyone's suggestions are pretty much spot on and will work just fine depending on a persons AGE. I have similar property and have found that being in my 80s the only thing that will work for me is:
View attachment 1141105
:cool: OT
I've used the bucket on my FEL for smaller stuff, but I like the way you think ;)

Get a quality Stihl or Shindaiwa 25cc trimmer/brush cutter with a solid drive and use what I have found to be an excellent blade for everything from heavy grass, thick weeds, and small saplings say up to about 1 1/2". That blade would be a Kurt-Saw 9" 36 Teeth Carbide Tipped Blade. 2-Packs of this blade can be found at Amazon for $20.78 plus shipping.
I have used it quite a lot. Believe me when I tell you it is the bomb!
The blade is highly praised by Project Farm on YouTube. Go see his video and listen to what he has to say about the Kurt-Saw blade.

Based on that same video, I used that blade AND the 9" Forester. I already had one of those tri blades. If you're only dealing with heavy grass, weeds, and briars (ie just a little too much for the a good string), the tri blade is nice because it doesn't get clogged as easy. If there are ANY saplings of ANY size (even pencil size), or even just some big briars, the 9" Forester blade works best. When new, the Kurt blade keeps up just fine, but once you get some age on them, they slow down a lot more than the Forester. The Forester (ie chainsaw teeth) cuts through thick grass almost as well as the tri blade, but you need to attack it from left to right to keep the material cleared. Doing this, you can go through a 1" sapling without ever knowing it was there. As I mentioned previously, if you find a T post that you had forgotten about, you'll have to replace the blade.

Hello,

Thank you

GRAVELY!!!

Mike

Thanks for all the information.
Basically I was looking for a tool that had some "finesse" to it.
I think I gave the wrong impression with my original pictures as I am not trying to clear out a jungle but more like cleaning out garden areas that have the remains of last years growth and some small weedy brush.
I was thinking more like a mini-hedge trimmer on a pole -
1704645928355.png
I may try a 3-tooth blade on my trimmer and see if it does the job.

Hello,

Thank you
In looking at the pictures you don't have grass growing. If it were me, I would do some of the suggestions on the tools and treat it with Tordon in the winter or fall or crossbow or something like that. Don't have to worry about doing it yearly. I have very good luck with Tordon but I am sure other products will work. Just remember to bring some good smores to the fire pit when you burn it all.

With a 9" pruning blade.
View attachment 1145728

I know you like your sawzall, but they don't really measure up for regular use as a brush cutter.

They are an excellent choice for small cuts in risky places or where a chain is likely to get trashed, but not very effective when you are cutting weed trees by the hundreds of square feet of ground.

Back